Posts: 74 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Chicago, US
Originally Posted by orsoniasty View Post
You may use the newest power-kernel, it supports ext4. Ext3 works (I'm using it right now), but your config file is wrong. I do not know if you installed Arch on internal memory or on SD card, but you mixed them in the config. My Arch resides on SD card, that's my tested .item file:
Code:
ITEM_NAME="Arch Linux ARM"
ITEM_KERNEL="/boot/uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p1"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait init=/bin/systemd omapfb.vram=0:3M,1:3M,2:3M quiet"
(of course ITEM_CMDLINE is one line, not splitted like in here)
For internal memory, I would have something similar to:
Code:
ITEM_NAME="Arch Linux ARM"
ITEM_KERNEL="/boot/uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${INT_CARD}p3"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk1p3 rootwait init=/bin/systemd omapfb.vram=0:3M,1:3M,2:3M quiet"
And for sure those configs were mentioned many times in this thread and other tutorials.
Thanks! I finally got it working using your config and ext4

Another questions, are there newer kernels than 3.5.7 available and are there instructions on how to build the kernel somewhere? I'm trying to build an external kernel module that works with Linux 3.6 and newer.

Originally Posted by pinsh View Post
Thanks! I finally got it working using your config and ext4

Another questions, are there newer kernels than 3.5.7 available and are there instructions on how to build the kernel somewhere? I'm trying to build an external kernel module that works with Linux 3.6 and newer.
i got a problem like u : mmcblk0p4..... even using ext4 ?
Can you show me your .item file ?

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Poland
Originally Posted by pinsh View Post
Here you can find 3.8 & 3.9 kernels:
https://gitorious.org/linux-n900/linux-n900
but they may be missing some hardware support - I do not know the details.

The Following User Says Thank You to orsoniasty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Chicago, US
Actually, I still get the "EXT4-fs (mmcblkp0p4): unable to read superblock" error when booting, but it works. I think I had it working earlier but for some reason the login prompt doesn't show up, which made think it isn't working. Try to press enter to see if you get the login screen.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
people seem to get that superblock error quite often. don't know if it is related but ext4 support in maemo does have some issues.

last time I checked, more recent kernels lacked audio and dsp at least. not sure it is the case anymore but either way, there are no good hw support in 3.x kernels. Also, SGX driver Pali is using does not have hardfp libs available AFAIK. Correct me if I'm wrong, not been following that closely lately. Anyway, I've been thinking of taking a step back and going to 2.6.37, if I find it working OK, that will be the future default kernel for whatever this thing is turning out to be once I get some spare time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Anyone tried the latest filesystem package upgrade?

Ok, I have tried the upgrade following the procedure suggested in the forums:
Code:
pacman -Suy --ignore filesystem
pacman -Su
That worked in the raspberry pi, but not in the n900. It resulted in a broken system. So be cautious when you upgrade.

Last edited by caveman; 2013-06-13 at 14:30. Reason: more info added

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Poland
@caveman
Is not it solved in the way Skry mentioned?
Originally Posted by Skry View Post
guys, also remember to fix the init= option to /usr/lib/systemd/systemd before doing pacman -Syu or you'll not be booting.
Or what do you exactly mean by a broken system?

Originally Posted by orsoniasty View Post
@caveman
Is not it solved in the way Skry mentioned?

Or what do you exactly mean by a broken system?
The systemd upgrade was fine. But after this last upgrade, the system boots with tons of errors in several services and hangs before getting to the login prompt.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Leipzig
If the update process "terminates early", chroot in and fight it through, like I did! =:-) Lesson learned from that excercise: don't maverick around and stick to the guideline! Anyhow, an updated rootfs would be very nice-to-have for our new recruits. Mine grew a bit 'fat' unfortunately, so if someone has a more virginal one or is willing to prepare such for the good cause, I'll be happy to put it on ftp!