Nice transition between portrait and landscape, very smooth.

Adding other tile sources seems to work nicely: I managed to get maps from http://www.statkart.no/?module=Artic...Show;ID=14165/ working.

Regarding 3D-terrain which you mentioned in the roadmap: could http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/SRTM be used?

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Kiev, UA
could you pls give the list of the shortcuts? so far i find that:
- space - go to GPS position
- n - change layer
- q - quit the program
- g - grid

also - is there a way to search the city i`m in with a street name?

thanks man, you`re doing an awesome job!

Is it possible to use Google Maps tiles with an ini entry?

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
I have high hopes for this app, very slick.

I tried it last night while driving home, and it seems to spend a lot of time just spinning the map round - I'm guessing that under some circumstances it doesn't correctly calculate which direction to turn the map in to get the the GPS heading.

For the wishlist, I'd like an onscreen display of the current location coordinates, preferably configurable for different datum and coordinate system, such as OSGB.

To go with the local tile storage options already discussed, is there any easy way to convert my own raster maps into a suitable tile format? I'm sure I could hack something out if I need to, but it seems likely someone else has already solved the problem.

Any update on this project? For some reason, my map freezes at 1 point and I cannot move to anywhere (I clicked several times on the dot next to the zoom in button - no idea what it does lol). And how do you change the way it uses to locate your position (GPS or Network), because after you choose it the first time, it doesn't ask again.

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
I have been very busy lately. Hopefully in a few weeks I will start having some more free time and will be able to give CloudGPS some love.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dwaradzyn View Post
I have been very busy lately. Hopefully in a few weeks I will start having some more free time and will be able to give CloudGPS some love.
Thanks. In the mean time, can you tell me how to reset the software's settings? (which file, folder needs to be deleted). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but it doesn't reset my configs.

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by zerocool2k View Post
Thanks. In the mean time, can you tell me how to reset the software's settings? (which file, folder needs to be deleted). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but it doesn't reset my configs.
All volatile settings (which currently means position, zoom and tile provider name) are stored in /home/user/.cloudgps.

This project looks very cool, thanks for working on it and releasing it

Some people were talking about using locally stored vector data (which would mean internet connection free rendering and perhaps also routing).

One way to include this functionality in any (sweeping statement, but should be doable) of the current tile-based mapping apps would be to run a renderer in a separate app with a local webserver. This would mean that work on the renderer could be carried out independently of the various mapping apps, and the benefits enjoyed by them all.

One option for OSM rendering is libmemphis, which libchamplain is looking at using for local rendering. http://trac.openstreetmap.ch/trac/me...iki/LibMemphis, assuming there are libraries for things like Garmin data, this could also be performed in the same renderer webserver app. It would be nice to access the Maps app data, but that's probably just a pipe dream unless we do some serious reverse engineering on the Maps app

Anyway I've not tried this idea mainly due to lack of time, but it is something a few of us discussed at the first Maemo summit and it would be cool to at least give it a go.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Hi,

I have installed this app today, and I must say, the UI is stunning.
I found a bug though, If you use the accelorometer (Press X), gain some forward speed, and make a tight turn, the friction is infinite, there is no drifting!!!!! What kind of lame racing game is this anyway??????????

Now seriously, I love it, and can't wait for it to handle navigation and turn by turn.

Cheers,
EItam.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Tags
best gps app