Active Topics

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It is not in Nokia's interest to proclaim "we are abandoning tablets!!"

It is in Nokia's interest to keep the tablet community hanging on and hoping.
It really isn't. If they have more than two braincells (and I believe they do) they want a community of users excited about whatever products they are actually making rather than complaining about what could have been.

The "not discussing future devices" policy may actually be working against them in this sense, but they probably (think they) have good reasons for that this time around.

maemo.org is not owned by Nokia, but people from maemo.org and Nokia are really throwing their weight around on the forums here, and anyone who doesn't notice that is not awake.
I haven't noticed any Nokians "throwing their weight around" actually. Care to provide an example for those of us who are not awake/don't follow every single thread?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Volt, I can relate to most of what you've written here, except the above which I find strange.

I have been tethering my tablets through (Nokia) phones ever since 2005 - three tablets, four phones. I never had to click around anywhere - just launch the browser on the tablet, and it takes seconds, not much more than connecting to Wifi. The phone can stay in bag/pocket or a few metres away for better reception...

That's why I never got sick and wasn't looking for options :-)
Well, to make the N810 use the Internet Connection Sharing on my WM6 phone, I have to:
- Install some hack on the N810, you know that DUN/PAN problem
- Pick my phone out of the pocket
- Press a key to wake it up
- Press "unlock"
- Enter a pin code
- Press "unlock" again
- Press start
- Navigate to Internet Connection Sharing
- Press "Connect"
- Wait a second
- Press the exit/return button twice to leave the menu
- Hold a button for a few seconds to lock the keypad
- Put the phone in the jacket
- Pick the N810 up
- Unlock it
- Press the connection icon
- Select "Change connection"
- Select "Dummy network"
- Wait
- Lock the N810

This would be easier, faster and more uniform if the unit had GPRS/3G internally.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Well, to make the N810 use the Internet Connection Sharing on my WM6 phone, I have to:
- Install some hack on the N810, you know that DUN/PAN problem
- Pick my phone out of the pocket
- Press a key to wake it up
- Press "unlock"
- Enter a pin code
- Press "unlock" again
- Press start
- Navigate to Internet Connection Sharing
- Press "Connect"
- Wait a second
- Press the exit/return button twice to leave the menu
- Hold a button for a few seconds to lock the keypad
- Put the phone in the jacket
- Pick the N810 up
- Unlock it
- Press the connection icon
- Select "Change connection"
- Select "Dummy network"
- Wait
- Lock the N810

This would be easier, faster and more uniform if the unit had GPRS/3G internally.

I think this is a phone issue. Dump the windows mobile, you have an 810???

pull 810 out of pocket
select internet connection
browse the internet
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
My investment (time & money) in my iPhone will disallow me to really want anything to do with a Maemo based phone. iTunes store works great. My trust in the repository or Ovi is just enough to trust it for occasional use, but not for crucial usage... like my cellphone.

And no... the iPhone isn't perfect either.

Besides, if they can't get the dependencies for a lot of apps - community sourced, not Nokia sourced - to be "just right" and in a few cases causing instability, whatnot... do you think I want that on my phone if I have to take a business call?

Heck no. If this points truly 100% to a Maemo phone, I'll have nothing to do with this at all. I like my tablet, I like it separate from my phone, and I like that if I "trash" it with a bad install of something, I'll reflash without missing any important phone calls.

Tablet. Or else.

Last edited by gerbick; 2009-06-03 at 11:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
volt, even the cheapest BT phone will let you skip all of those steps to get connected. You only have to set it (once) to allow connection without a confirm pop-up, and set it to have BT on in invisible mode. Then leave the phone somewhere and forget about it. For me it even works when the phone is a floor above me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Well, even if the cheapest BT phone lets me skip it, that doesn't go for my WM6 phone, and I suspect some other phones that use Internet Connection Sharing, too.

I don't see a point in defending having a smartphone instead of the cheapest BT phone. Microsoft considers DUN to be outdated, and DUN support costs the manufacturers extra. The N810 only has DUN. So, with the default setup of WM6, N810 can't connect. The N810 falls into the category "some older devices".

But much thanks to this forum I am still able to connect via the PAN hack.

And while I've been looking at shelling out extra for a Nokia N series phone, those have connectivity problems with my Bluetooth car stereo instead. So it'd be worse, not better. To be honest, I expect I have to replace my Pioneer top model DEH-P9800BT with some cheaper unit to get full bluetooth support with this N900. If it's even possible at all, the N810 doesn't come with A2DP.

So connectivity is a bigger problem than just me having a tricky phone, and the N810 should have had official PAN support to start with.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
My investment (time & money) in my iPhone will disallow me to really want anything to do with a Maemo based phone. (...) I like my tablet, I like it separate from my phone, and I like that if I "trash" it with a bad install of something, I'll reflash without missing any important phone calls.

Tablet. Or else.
Nobody is forcing you to buy a maemo phone. If you trash your Iphone with a bad install of something, you have the same problem.

Nokia having a Maemo phone available doesn't mean you have to stop using your Nokia tablet.

p@marketing has already told us they want to stop associating the word "tablet" with their Maemo products. This may or may not mean that they won't make more of the larger ones. Shame if they don't. But I don't see a problem with there being Maemo phones on the market.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I think you misspoke here or I am misunderstanding. Maemo is not available for licensing on other hardware.
That depends entirely on how you define "Maemo". See Mer, for instance.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
volt, even the cheapest BT phone will let you skip all of those steps to get connected. You only have to set it (once) to allow connection without a confirm pop-up, and set it to have BT on in invisible mode. Then leave the phone somewhere and forget about it. For me it even works when the phone is a floor above me.
Only about half of those steps go away once you've authorized them for automatic pairing. You still have to juggle both devices, turning things on and off (both at the start and end of the session). Add to that that you might be getting messages or calls during the whole process, then it quickly becomes annoying how much you're having to switch back and forth between devices.

Yet, replacing both of those things with a single device that has both your phone and your maemo tablet in one chassis, eliminates all of the fumbling and juggling, and reduces how much pocket space you need.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Maemo is not available for licensing on other hardware.
Are you sure about that? I bet for the right price, it would certainly be available for licensing on other hardware. You just need to make the right offer to Nokia.

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile