Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I merely stated the fact that noone forced you to buy it, I did not imply that you had said that anyone were forcing you to buy it. You were however sounding like this ment the end for a platform (for you) while I don't see a reason why it needs to be so. This seems to be a product unrelated to your tablet upgrade plan. When iPple created the iPod touch, it didn't mean people had to give up on their iPhones. It may even be that not all iPhone owners bought an iPod touch.
It does mean the end of platform for me. I already have a wifi enabled phone.

The internet tablet did that job for me - it accessed the internet, quite well. Quirky on some things, the browser isn't full-featured, but it those things just great. And on a bigger, better screen.

But like I said. Does this interface (easily) my music collection? Will it not crash? Does it have any compelling features that will sell me from getting a Palm Pre, (upcoming) iPhone, or even an Nokia N97?

So far, I don't see one compelling reason.

- I hope the marketing department doesn't decide on what features goes into the machine. I would hope R&D had something to do with it.
I hope R&D actually did have input. So far, it does not seem like it.

- How many WiFi phones are there with iTunes, outlook, siphon sync, Skype, Gizmo and video chat? That has a good web browser on top?
Palm Pre, iPhone, iPhone3G for the most part. Face it, that's your competition now. And this thing is already lacking.

Add those features or lose a huge chunk of the people that might upgrade now/soon. To have a Maemo phone just to have a Maemo phone won't sell right now... simply because Nokia didn't educate the average Joe to what Maemo is and why it could be important to them.

My point, there are ZERO compelling reasons to make this into a phone right now. It lacks features that people have come to expect or will want in the very near future.

It's one thing to see what features the tablet doesn't have. The lack of Java should be far higher on the list. But as a Maemo phone, the N900 should be highly competative to top end phones.
It isn't. And yeah, Java is very high on my list. Flash Player 10 is even higher. But I'm a Flash/Flex dev. My livelihood comes first.

There are many things "missing". Now, imagine having "missing" features on the phone. Exchange sync, video chat, iTunes... already lacking. Good browser, Java, FP10, Exchange Calendar sync, a proper store that doesn't buckle under slight pressure, repository woes fixed...

Yeah. Competitive alright.

The things the tablet lacks the most sorely are things phones are better at. And now it seems Nokia is doing a job to make this more like a phone? I would think that means more than adding a 3G chip.
So be it. But it does not make it competitive. Just makes it a phone.

And a featureless one compared to some of what's out there now.

Last edited by gerbick; 2009-06-04 at 23:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
There are many things "missing". Now, imagine having "missing" features on the phone. Exchange sync, video chat, iTunes... already lacking. Good browser, Java, FP10, Exchange Calendar sync, a proper store that doesn't buckle under slight pressure, repository woes fixed...
How do you know what features it has? How do you know it lacks 'video chat' or 'iTunes'? What do you know about 'good browser' or 'Java' on Maemo 5/N900?

I'd agree the general public would seriously miss many of the features you name (for yours truelly no calendar would be a dealbreaker) but it isn't clear yet. Give them a chance.

Here is a speculative compare of N900 with N97 showing some clear advantages of N900 or Maemo 5 running on it.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-06-05 at 00:06.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
It does mean the end of platform for me. I already have a wifi enabled phone.

The internet tablet did that job for me - it accessed the internet, quite well. Quirky on some things, the browser isn't full-featured, but it those things just great. And on a bigger, better screen.

But like I said. Does this interface (easily) my music collection? Will it not crash? Does it have any compelling features that will sell me from getting a Palm Pre, (upcoming) iPhone, or even an Nokia N97?

So far, I don't see one compelling reason.

I hope R&D actually did have input. So far, it does not seem like it.

Palm Pre, iPhone, iPhone3G for the most part. Face it, that's your competition now. And this thing is already lacking.

Add those features or lose a huge chunk of the people that might upgrade now/soon. To have a Maemo phone just to have a Maemo phone won't sell right now... simply because Nokia didn't educate the average Joe to what Maemo is and why it could be important to them.

My point, there are ZERO compelling reasons to make this into a phone right now. It lacks features that people have come to expect or will want in the very near future.

It isn't. And yeah, Java is very high on my list. Flash Player 10 is even higher. But I'm a Flash/Flex dev. My livelihood comes first.

Yeah. Competitive alright.

So be it. But it does not make it competitive. Just makes it a phone.

And a featureless one compared to some of what's out there now.
Seriously maemo in its current iteration cannot in any way compete with the current smart phones. If things are based on history, i would expect voice and pim management to be very crude like the old os2007 and os2008 which was later improved, but still far away from other smartphone os's

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
How do you know what features it has? How do you know it lacks 'video chat' or 'iTunes'? What do you know about 'good browser' or 'Java' on Maemo 5/N900?
Does Maemo, or the Maemo 5 SDK have that now?

No. So far, it's running Fennec. Due to the processor, it's invariably going to run faster. Java has been community hacked onto the platform.

So what do you know about it?

I'd agree the general public would seriously miss many of the features you name (for yours truelly no calendar would be a dealbreaker) but it isn't clear yet. Give them a chance.
I'm talking from a consumer's voice. I don't have to give anything a chance that immediately does not grab my attention. In fact, it loses my attention.

A Maemo phone does not grab any part of my attention. Seems way too "me-too" for something right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Why need Itunes to Succeed? Nokia Music store is there for that.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
If Nokia only produces a Maemo phone, it is the end of the platform for me. It is likely to be far too expensive compared to the other available options
IMO, since there is no available (acceptable) alternative option, your comparison automatically favors a Maemo phone.

Originally Posted by zfarooq View Post
Why need Itunes to Succeed? Nokia Music store is there for that.
*sigh*

It doesn't need iTunes to succeed. It needs more than just Maemo to succeed. Be it Nokia's music store, Amazon's music store, Microsoft's music store, Walmart's music store, whatever.

But an automatic way to synchronize with what's on my machine already is great. That doesn't exist right now. Also, sync with my calendar and office e-mail and my web e-mail accounts.

Some of that already exists. But not all of it. And not exactly well either. Sure, I can drag and drop all day. But what about duplicates? What about travel music lists, or on-the-go music lists? Or podcasts? Or... Ovi that works just fine under pressure. Or...

It's not just about iTunes - heck, I have a Zune dude, alongside my iPhone - it's about getting that music from one place to another easily.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
*sigh*

It doesn't need iTunes to succeed. ...

But an automatic way to synchronize with what's on my machine already is great. ...

It's not just about iTunes - heck, I have a Zune dude, alongside my iPhone - it's about getting that music from one place to another easily.
I can't recall if this has been mentioned yet, but I just love the Palm Pre's solution to the problem: the Pre shows up on the user's PC in iTunes! as an iPod! ... and then it syncs.

From engadget:
iTunes sync (or "Media sync" as they call it), however, really helped ease us into using the Pre as a media device. In essence, the process works exactly as it would if you were using a standard iPod. You get options for (un-DRM'd) music, TV, movie, podcast, and photo syncing just as you would on an Apple device, and in our experience, the actual process was no different. iTunes offers up a contact sync, though it doesn't actually appear to do anything but store a backup file on your phone -- not a huge deal, but it would be amazing if it worked. Regardless, the ability to easily manage your media library will take a big load off of the minds of potential switchers worried about how to deal with a new platform... but we can't imagine Apple is super stoked by the concept.
I think it's brilliant to be openly parasitical on a near-ubiquitous program that is a sort of operating system in its own right and a monopoly*.

*In my opinion, Apple's dominance does not constitute an illegal monopoly, but I think it's a monopoly nonetheless, and I expect you'll see greater limitations on what Apple can do, placed by the Europeans if not the Americans, based on its status as a monopoly. (No, you don't have to have 100% market share to be a monopoly; yes, it's legal to be a monopoly, depending on how you became one; yes, even legal monopolies can be subjected to special rules.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I can't recall if this has been mentioned yet, but I just love the Palm Pre's solution to the problem: the Pre shows up on the user's PC in iTunes! as an iPod! ... and then it syncs.
Yeah, I mentioned it a page back.

Seriously... love it too.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
IMO, since there is no available (acceptable) alternative option, your comparison automatically favors a Maemo phone.
For you For me there is the SmartQ5, it has some cons, but will run Mer and is <$200. Always Innovating Touch, 8.9" screen, 1024x600, hd video,multi usb, detachable keyboard 2x batteries <$400, many other options upcoming by the end of the year.

Now to compare N900, too small screen (Imo, I'll take a larger screen for less money), $200-300 w/ 2yr contract?, +$20-30 or more for data plan x 24 months ($480+), ~$200 or so to get out of my current contract = ~$900 vs $400 or less? Or buy unlocked for $600+? hmmmmmm let me think about it.

A lot of the same reasons I won't buy an iPhone.

Of course it could be much cheaper than I think, in which case it may be an option, but I doubt it. There are/will be too many options that are nearly as good with similar hardware, running linux, with a potential for Mer, that will cost far less. Not to mention as others have, it doesn't seem that Maemo is mature enough to run a phone 24/7.

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile