Anyone have a good recommendation for getting cheap screen protector sheets for the N900?

I figure none of them are going to last as long as the first one (or if they can be applied as well as the first one), so I suspect cheap ones that are replaced frequently would be the better option...

The Following User Says Thank You to eccerr0r For This Useful Post:
http://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_trksi...at=0&_from=R40

Personally I would go with this one:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/NOKIA-N900-MI...item27bee14006

It's shaped to not cover proximity and light sensor.

The Following User Says Thank You to enne30 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I have three N900s. All used. In chronological order...

#1) Obtained in June 2012. No screen protector. Used extensively till June 2013 (i.e. for about a year). The screen had very light marks when I got it. One slightly deeper mark, can be seen and felt when stylus goes over it but does not obscure anything. These are still the same now, a year later.

#2) Obtained in Autumn 2012 (can't remember which month exactly). No screen protector. Screen in pristine shape. Device not used and currently indisposed following a failed flash. Kept for spares.

#3) Obtained in early June 2013. Screen protector on. Used extensively as a replacement for #1 since the purchase (i.e for about a month). The attached screen protector had very light, nearly invisible marks when I got it, which became quite noticeable by now. To the extent that I have bought a set of replacement screen protectors (this one) and am considering swapping it very soon.

Conclusion: A screen protector gets to a worse condition in a month than an unprotected screen gets in four years (3 with the former owner plus 1 with me). If you want to use a protector, use the cheapest you can get since you are going to replace it in a couple of months anyway.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Yeah, the screen itself is really tough but not unscratchable, so I rather the *cheap* screen protectors get scratched. I had my n900 for a few months now and scratched the first screen protector - the stylus scrapes over the scratch and feels weird.

I was just a bit concerned as I saw a few screen protectors selling for $6 each, and since the n900 being a discontinued platform, people stop making protectors for them...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eccerr0r For This Useful Post:
Well, mine was 3 for 99p. I have yet to actually try it but unless it's total cr@p, I may as well buy 3 or 4 more to have spares for a few years

Mind you, I used my previous phone (Treo 600) for 9 years. Went through two cases but never used a screen protector. And even today you can still buy spares.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Be careful with those cheap ones its could ruin original screen. Leaving some marks/spots on screen. This is the best screen protector that i know and used lasted for 3 years. But its kind of pricey.
http://www.martinfields.com/US/MFOP-NokiaN900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ed00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Chester, CA
Skinomi or Zagg invisible shield is where its at. The skinomi is only like $5 on amazon.

Both are made of that badass plastic they put on heli blades for military choppers.

I scratch my keys against my n900's with those screen protectors all the time to show people how tough they really are.

Not a scratch on my zagg invisible shield after a few years of use, and the skinomi i got a few months back appears to be of the same quality/material.

Highly recommended. The cheap ones are pretty much disposable, you buy a zagg/skinomi and your set for the life of the device in most all scenarios.

And it WILL NEVER SCRATCH. I've tried all kinds of crazy **** with those things, and they are as solid as it gets as far as screen protectors.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eleseur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
I bought a Zagg for an iPad, and i cut my own. So far I protected 3 N9s, 1 N900 and 2 HTC Sensation. Absolutely no scratches, but it does make dragging the stylus on the N900 a bit strange as the friction is higher than regular protectors.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
This is true, the adhesive stick side, how much do they differ from vendor to vendor, indeed if it does come off the screen and tends to want to stick to the screen, that's bad. I guess I've been very particular to Nokia screen protectors, both my 5230 and n900 have the factory protector (as far as I know) and the "stickyness" is just right, at least it doesn't come off and stay on the screen.

But maybe too weak because they don't stick forever

The Following User Says Thank You to eccerr0r For This Useful Post:
I've finally got around to fitting mine. The first thing to notice is that despite the item image, the protector does not have a cutout for the light sensor. Luckily it does not seem tol affect the functionality in any way.

A few more points:
* It sticks using electrostatic force, i.e. no glue and hence no residue upon removing
* It is ever so slightly smaller than the screen, leaving about 0.5mm gap all the way around.
* It is very smooth: the friction pretty much disappeared altogether
* It is also very clear and seems to actually increase the contrast
* Sadly, it does not hide already existing scratches on the screen

As mentioned above, good to treat as disposable. I won't be too upset if I have to throw it away after a few months.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, screen protect