Notices

If you install debian on n900 you can get minbar. Minbar is a part of the arabeyes project, the source is in sourceforge, it would be easy to port it to be a native application. Also in arabeyes there is the full library for calculating the prayer times.

www.elmotaheda-web.com

The Following User Says Thank You to ehab For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Would love to have such apps on the N900

Every time i try to install anything the x terminal ask for password could you elaborate on how it is done. Many thanks

A program that alerts on pray times according to the city you selected (taken from an online database) would be nice.
Also I wonder if it's possible to use the GPS to find the Qibla direction according to your location.

Originally Posted by Arif View Post
A program that alerts on pray times according to the city you selected (taken from an online database) would be nice.
Also I wonder if it's possible to use the GPS to find the Qibla direction according to your location.
Great suggestion. I would love to have an app like that.

Originally Posted by Arif View Post
I would LOVE this!

Originally Posted by drasu View Post
Every time i try to install anything the x terminal ask for password could you elaborate on how it is done. Many thanks
You need to install the "rootsh" package via application manager, then you can become root by typing "root" at the terminal.

Now you can install packages with "dpkg -i".

WARNING: You need to know your way around a linux system in general before doing anything as root, root has to power to do anything (including breaking the system to the point that you need to reflash).

Also note that a general ubuntu package might not work as-is (for various reasons, starting with the fundamental i386 vs armel issue), however ubuntu (or debian) package is probably very easy to recompile for Maemo5 (probably only minor modifications needed) using the SDK (aka scratchbox).

Would gladly test apps when we get to that point.
Right now we need someone who can port the ubuntu app, or if possible, write an app. I don't know how much that will take to write such an app, as it is primarily calculating that needs to be put together, alongside with a shiny GUI.
Actually, the graphics i might be able to help with (but nothing pro ).

As far as the calculation goes, we can find the formulas with a little research. And for using the GPS, local time prayers should not be a problem either - the app choosing the nearest programmed city...
For the direction of the qibla, I don't know if the n900 can do some digitcal compass action, therefore it might be restricted to only telling you: NE or SW or as something like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...la_compass.png

I see a mini project here.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Here's a quick build of minbar. It's optified, but not Hildonized due to me not knowing anything about Glade. I'm not a religious Muslim, so I can't vouch for its accuracy but it's matching the times on a website.

http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploa....0-1_armel.deb
http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploa....2.1-5_all.deb
http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploa....1-5_armel.deb

It segfaults when exiting the settings dialog , but they appear to get saved anyway. And you can choose a city with some patience... Not the best of "solutions", but until something better appears...

Oh, it also installs its desktop file to /usr/share/applications/; you'll need to move it manually to /usr/share/applications/hildon. It may require other dependencies; apt-get -f install when done. I'll put up the source if needed, but the only thing I did was minor stuff to get it to build under debhelper 5 (it used 7).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
i would love an app which shows the Qibla and alerts for prayer times based on your location...