Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by hedgemonsta View Post
@gerbick

thanks for your swift responce and for not flaming me.
I posted to start because i lack the research or experience to make judgement.
You've come to the right place to learn. Take the time, search for what questions you have pertaining the Maemo platform. You will find a ton of info here.

I simply saw it as something good that would be welcomed by most/all n900 owners. it just grates me that android and iphone users are awarded for following trends and purchasing traditions. whereas n900 owners are left with nada due to lack of owner support or sales volume impact.
I wouldn't say those platforms are being rewarded/awarded anything more than honestly they're commercially more viable. There's no DRM on this platform, per se. The incentives to be on Maemo are pretty slim, none coming from Nokia directly. This community and the people involved in and around Maemo are the real reasons to use/develop for Maemo.

But even that has a more "grass roots" feel than the corporate machine(s) that surround Android and the iPhone platforms.

Perhaps MeeGo will change all of that. There seems to be a list of companies waiting on MeeGo that never quite showed up for Maemo.

Maemo is basically a full-blown Linux distro in your pocket that also makes phone calls. That also means if it's not open source or compiled for ARM, then it's more than likely not going to be there. I tinker with Unity3D, and would love to take my creations to the Maemo platform. But I can't do all of that by myself.

Heck, I'm an Adobe Flex dev... Maemo hasn't proven itself to be a platform for me either. And after Apple's responses, neither is the iPhone either.

do nokia expect to sell many more n900's ???
That's a good question that I've been wondering myself. Sure, they don't want it to fail, nobody does. But the way it's being pushed (read: not at all) it seems to be a platform that corporate doesn't understand exactly how damn powerful it is. And now with Maemo5 being part 4 of 5, and MeeGo being part... well, I don't even know - the roadmap to me is a bit muddled.

But not to all. The bright folks around here help even dumb people like myself make sense of what Maemo is and what MeeGo will be.

Read more around here. And yeah... there's a few folks around here eager to flame. Sticks and stones...

maybe not. thay have already planned replacements and changed the os and support system for developers within months of release. im trying NOT to be negative, but how can we support a device without support from nokia?
It's open source (for the most part)... I still use a N810 and just got updates to the OS by the community. I'm sure it'll happen that way for Maemo5 if it doesn't get a full MeeGo update.

i love my n900 and i started the post in the hope that unity could make it better.... but it seems that as its a phone with low support that the essential developments are not possible..
Who knows? Have you started with them yet? I get your position... I'm a former .NET dev, current Adobe Flex dev and I can't code one line of usable code on the N900 despite wanting to.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The Unity 3d plugin won't work, but there is a ray of hope over in the other Unity 3d thread.

Sydb and Bandora.... take a note frorm Gerbicks book..... becoming fanboys of a failing system and flaming people for having requests or enquiries into how to improve the n900's appeal isnt the way forward. Do we sit back and hope that suppoert from third parties or nokia suddenly happens or do we question the possibilies of this handset? i have the iphone, pc, mac android handset and windows phone so im not "crying" about missing features.

Gerbick noticed that i questioned support, is unity something we could see as a possiblily? could we band together as a community to acheive development of a plugin, either via third parties or self development. Gerbick didnt slate or flame me - he answered inteligently my question and showed empathy to my concerns... hats of to him.

If its not possible, so be it. I only hoped that by envoking some response that as a communiting backing a device that should be capable of many things that something could be done.

there are alot of uber inteligent people within this community, and i am envious that im not one, however these questions should be asked, regarding possibilities, capabilities and useabity of the n900 - and believe me... many more n00bs will ask even more ridiculous quwstions. Again . . . please respond more like gerbick if at all possible.... otherwise the downfall of the handset may not only be lack of support from the developers, programmers or nokia... but also due to the lack of community.

FLAME ON if you will xx

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Oh no, no, no... I'm the guy that says the unpopular stuff around here.

I'm not a good person to follow at all. Hehe

You're just talking about tech I want to use too.

im glad you (semi) see my point gerbick.

people only weeks ago were saying "overclocking the n900 isnt possible - if you wanted a fast phone you should of got a htc./iphone/anything else that makes sense"

however as a community we COULD make unity possible. ok at first i asked if it were possible to develop or obtain the plugin..... but if the " not possisble to overclock" thread can creat 3000 post surely we can push toward support for features the phone supports (could support)

i was in an iphone forum a few months ago and a developer with thousands of posts and thanks was flamed and almost banned for asking for improvements to 'his' beloved phone. These are meant to be communities not cultures with one sided belief.

i say we push for anything we want.....

Tags
3d games, n900 games, unity