Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Another media sharing service announced. This one I really like because it's served from your own PC!

WEB 2.0 EXPO, SAN FRANCISCO, California, April 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Nokia (NYSE: NOK - News) and Orb Networks today announced Orb MyCasting is available for use on the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet. Orb MyCasting allows consumers to access digital media stored on their home computer directly from their mobile multimedia computer.

Orb's intuitive solution simply streams a person's own content from their home PC using the Web browser and media player of the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet thus creating a "personal media portal" from which users instantly access and enjoy home photos, videos, music, and even TV, from anywhere, anytime. With MyCasting, consumers can also remotely record TV programs using Orb's Digital Video Recorder (DVR) function and then play back those recorded programs on the Nokia N800.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070416/ukm018.html?.v=71

Application download: http://www.orb.com/en/download_nokia

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-04-16 at 15:42.

Can anybody tell me what is so "N800" specific bout this version of Orb?

it seems just Orb 2.0 to me

I have only read the basics of what Orb can do, and it definitely sounds intriguing. With my PC at home having a TV tuner card with Cable hooked up to it and this application, certainly sounds like a way to watch TV on my N800 when it's hooked in to a network. I keep seeing it say that it is free, is there a catch (to the Orb software/service being free)?

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Only problem is that it turns out that you need a PC with XP (or 2K, etc..) to go along with your N800....no support for Mac OSX or Linux that I saw...

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

I've been using Orb for ages. Works really well and my choice for streaming stuff to my mobile devices.

Works at home, and on the road.

It already worked with the N800, and my N80 and my older S60 Nokia mobilephone. Don't see what's the big announcement....

Luke

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I wasn't even aware of the service, so I thought it was something new when I found the press release. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm wondering what the deal is, myself...

EDIT: ah-- the login is different on the tablet vs the PC. I'm guessing what is novel is N800 detection.

Hi Texrat,

No problem. Our queries are mostly thoughts aloud to the company...

Nokia just announced that Orb MyCasting is now available on the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet. Orb lets you stream photos, music, video, and TV on a WiFi or Bluetooth phone connection from an always-on PC at home. You can now download theĀ* free PC and N800 software from Orb.
Read the full article.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Wow! I should try that!

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Nantes (France)
Am I wrong or there is no specific software to be installed on the N800?
Once the software has been installed on the PC (any chance to see any Linux or MacOSX version coming soon?), you simply need to connect to https://mycast.orb.com using Opera on the N800, or is there anything I'm missing? What is this "N800 software from Org" they're mentioning?!
http://blog.lmartin.fr