I'm trying to make a folder (and files) on my N800 available to my Windows machine via samba. Basically, I have a web server running on the N800 and I would like to 1) sometimes work on the files directly on my tablet and 2) sometimes work on those files on my desktop. However, I don't want to move files back and forth --- makes things much easier and cleaner.

I can already access the web server from my desktop simply by pointing to the ip address. however, the only step missing is me being able to edit the files directly on the tablet from my Windows machine.

I believe I've properly made the folder shared via Konquerer; right-click, choose properties, share tab, etc. However, my Windows box does not see the tablet in My Network Place --- I've even tried typing in the name of the tablet, but still no go. \\NOKIA-N800-23-14

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
I'm trying to make a folder (and files) on my N800 available to my Windows machine via samba. Basically, I have a web server running on the N800 and I would like to 1) sometimes work on the files directly on my tablet and 2) sometimes work on those files on my desktop. However, I don't want to move files back and forth --- makes things much easier and cleaner.

I can already access the web server from my desktop simply by pointing to the ip address. however, the only step missing is me being able to edit the files directly on the tablet from my Windows machine.

I believe I've properly made the folder shared via Konquerer; right-click, choose properties, share tab, etc. However, my Windows box does not see the tablet in My Network Place --- I've even tried typing in the name of the tablet, but still no go. \\NOKIA-N800-23-14

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!
What about \\IP-ADDRESS?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Tried that too, but no luck --- Windows can't find it. I've even turned off my Windows firewall. Is there something that I maybe need to do in the KDE Control Panel?

Tried that too, but no luck --- Windows can't find it. I've even turned off my Windows firewall. Is there something that I maybe need to do in the KDE Control Panel?

I am not sure how you have configured samba? but you may need to start it, I am not sure the startup scripts are included?

ps -fe | grep smb

if not start nmb and smb and try to browse from another computer?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

I think you're on to something. There is no smb service running and there is no /etc/init.d/samba file. Trying to access any samba binary (e.g., /usr/share/samba) returned an access denied response --- even though I am root.

Do you know if there is a way to accomplish what I'm looking to do in the Maemo environment?

I could not find a solution for this other to install proftpd and FTP files back and forth. Not as elegant as I'd like, but it's better than nothing!

I could not find a solution for this other to install proftpd and FTP files back and forth. Not as elegant as I'd like, but it's better than nothing!
you should just edit the smb.conf and start nmb and smb. The startup scripts for smb were not included.

find /usr/local -name smb.conf

samba is installed in /usr/local

I used the Control Panel to edit smb.conf ... so, when I looked at the file earlier, it was already updated.

However, I did try all instances of the samba binary unsuccessfully at that time too --- whether in /usr/local or /usr/share or the third location which I can't remember where it was. All returned a permission denied error.

When you say the startup scripts weren't included, you're not saying that I also need them to run samba, right? I mean I don't need them because, theoretically, I would just type /usr/local/samba start to get the service going. (Which unfortunately isn't working.)

I used the Control Panel to edit smb.conf ... so, when I looked at the file earlier, it was already updated.

However, I did try all instances of the samba binary unsuccessfully at that time too --- whether in /usr/local or /usr/share or the third location which I can't remember where it was. All returned a permission denied error.

When you say the startup scripts weren't included, you're not saying that I also need them to run samba, right? I mean I don't need them because, theoretically, I would just type /usr/local/samba start to get the service going. (Which unfortunately isn't working.)
look in /usr/local/samba/bin

or

find /usr/local -name smb

I don't recall off the top of my head, I am in the midst of testing gui install tools and I have 9 partitions and no KDE

Tags
kde, kde35, samba