Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
How t he hell do you make a phone call with this thing lol.Is there an external screen or phone call or you'll have to use it like a laptop holding it like in the picture to answer the phone call?
That's what headsets are for

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Wow nice to see Sharp back in the game - after they quit with the Zaurus line and went back to the edictionarries only for quite some time.
I guess this is where most companies falter - the software side.
Sharp had great hardware in the Zaurus (for its time) , but on the software side while Qtopia was good - they couldnt carry it forward.
Indeed. Either they didn't "get" the open source and community-building side of things, or they didn't have the will to make it corporate policy, like Nokia did.

Now with Android all these companies (Motorola included) are getting a new lease of life - since they dont have to worry about the software side.
Unfortunately, Android is a very ambiguous beast where openness is concerned, IMHO.

And this is where I applaud Nokia - in pushing an open source Mobile OS forward - it is a difficult task - the Zaurus being a testatment to that.
And if the new Sharp devices can run Maemo / MeeGo some day - all the more a sweet victory. I loved the Zauruses in its time (still have my Zaurus C750) and Maemo now.
That is my hope, yes. The commercial impact would probably be marginal, as Sharp usually doesn't market theses devices outside Japan. But it would be a tangible signal of what Meego is all about, and would send a strong signal to others...

Oh that news about oesf.org being down and out is bad news. They were the last standing champions of the Zaurus.
Well, there was no advance warning, so it's still not clear to me if it has been shut down intentionally or if it's a problem with the lease on the domain name having expired (it's happened before :-). Maybe there's a chance it will reappear...

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I am a Zaurus user, SL-5500 and then SL-C1000.

This would have been incredibly desirable 5 years ago but the clam shell form factor is now so archaic that it would a PITA to use. Either make it a slider keyboard or a tablet like the C1000.

The screen is beautiful and seems to be multi touch with pinch and zoom which kind of makes the trackball feature a bit redundant.

Also there is a front facing camera for video calls.

Check out the videos and info here
http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8

This could be a winner for me were it not for that clam shell.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
This would be totally awesome with Ubuntu running on it
zenwalker?

anyways, i would not mind seeing a version without the mobile radio.

@tso unlikely since this is based on the Snapdragon which contains both apps core and baseband

i didnt know snapdragon had evdo built in.

Actually I quite like the look of that, approx Psion 5 size replacement, sounds good to me. I wonder if it has a GPS and digital compass.....?

Originally Posted by tso View Post
i didnt know snapdragon had evdo built in.
well heck, indeed it does:
http://www.qctconnect.com/products/snapdragon.html

and by the looks of it, the QSD8650 and the more recent dual core QSD8672 actually supports both EVDO and HSPA, so i guess it mostly comes down to the available antenna, and software.

if sharp is smart, they will make a export model available with drivers installed that enable the HSPA part of the snapdragon.

or maybe we will see conics.net or similar do that for them, tho that will probably apply a premium

Last edited by tso; 2010-04-06 at 10:56.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
well heck, indeed it does:
http://www.qctconnect.com/products/snapdragon.html
and by the looks of it, the QSD8650 and the more recent dual core QSD8672 actually supports both EVDO and HSPA, so i guess it mostly comes down to the available antenna, and software.
if sharp is smart, they will make a export model available with drivers installed that enable the HSPA part of the snapdragon.
Fat chance :-(

or maybe we will see conics.net or similar do that for them, tho that will probably apply a premium
Better chance :-)

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Well, there was no advance warning, so it's still not clear to me if it has been shut down intentionally or if it's a problem with the lease on the domain name having expired (it's happened before :-). Maybe there's a chance it will reappear...
Some good news about oesf.org for those interested:

http://forum.pocketables.net/showthread.php?p=39543

It is indeed a DNS problem (again). There is a potential workaround if you're not going through a proxy.