A x86 processor is quite fine if it means we trade battery life for more horsepower but that should be the only reason for compromise. Hopefully they can have two models and let market forces choose.

Well Nokia has been doing this while Apple was making pink computers, it isn't surprise. They have to reapproach this from a consumers point of view. A tablet is nothing without purpose ... it has to be a purpose built device. The iPad is going for the a lot of purposes, but ultimately it is a internet device, everything else kind of reinforces that purpose. Nokia it is sad to say, but as much as people rank battery life high, it isn't what sells. So make these devices thin and light. Lastly throw your industrial weight behind the effort and make several different models, this is a market where the consumer would buy if they had more options and choice even within the same companies product line. Lastly don't launch without having core services (cloud based or otherwise) that is ready ... really it sucks having a product that isn't feature complete yet like a front camera that isn't support by your apps yets .

Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
A x86 processor is quite fine if it means we trade battery life for more horsepower but that should be the only reason for compromise.
The problem with mobile devices like tablets as Apple is targeting them, is that you expect to be able to go a day at least without needing to charge.

No Atom chip can achieve this without sparing usage (and not at all with video,) and if you need horsepower you might as well bring along an actual laptop.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
A x86 processor is quite fine if it means we trade battery life for more horsepower but that should be the only reason for compromise. Hopefully they can have two models and let market forces choose.
If the Atom had provably more horsepower than the better ARM processors ... maybe. Assuming the battery life was still at least 6-8+ hours (reliably, under full work load ... and to compete with the iPad, you'll need AT LEAST 10 hours). But, in cases of comparable product, the ARM cpus seem both faster AND less power hungry than the Atoms... so the trade off is not "horsepower vs battery life". As far as I've seen, ARM wins for both.

Instead, the tradeoff seems, to me, to be "do we want general x86 compatibility" (even just within Linux). I don't care about that, so I don't find that to be an acceptable trade.

Though, if you're talking about non-Atom x86 CPU's... good luck getting 10+ hours of battery life in a tablet that's comparable to the iPad, using something that has better than Atom horsepower.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think the 2 keys to tablet computing that are still not within Nokia's grasp:

1. A good UI/UX
2. Content

I'm hoping they'll get those ready for MeeGo.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
a) F YEAH! 'bout time, Nokia

b) They better get a f'n move on! The iPad is here, the 9-11" Android tablets are being announced and delivered in the next few months. Nokia should have been the FIRST player on this field (like they were with pocketable MIDs), and they had better not be the LAST.

c) I want:
  • ARM, not Atom ... 1GHz is good.
  • Meego/Maemo, not Windows 7 (if they did Atom), not Symbian.
  • 1-2GB RAM
  • at least 4GB storage ... though, 32GB, like the N900, would be sweet
  • 3G option (and, having it be like the ICD Gemini, that can do SMS/MMS and Voice, would be cool)
  • 10" 1024x600 or 1366x768 would be fine ... but 1280x720 would be ideal, to me.
  • PixelQi display would be PERFECT.
  • Must have both USB Host/OTG ports for keyboard/mouse/storage/etc ... AND USB client for charging/syncing/etc.
  • DVI-I out would be preferred, but HDMI out would be ok.
  • Portrait and Landscape mode virtual keyboard ... with Swype support
  • Generic open ePUB reader would be great.... and so would a "Kindle for MeeGo" app.
  • Amazon MP3 store support.

I could probably come up with more items later... but that's a good start.
Alot of what you said I would go for also, except if they put tv out it'll def be hdmi.
Maybe it's just me but I don't want 3g. If worse comes to worse I can always tether with my cell phone.
Pixel Qi display would be nice also.
And for software to run on both meego tablet and meego phones.
and how about this, have it be compatible with ovi maps and have free turn by turn nav.

Exactly I dont want 3G in the tablet also - since I can tether with my N900.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I didn't say I wanted it soldered onto the motherboard, I said I wanted a 3G _option_.

We've certainly been expecting a MeeGo tablet (and surely it will be MeeGo, unless Nokia has completely given up on their ability to create software). But the recent release of the iPad does give me opportunity to reflect. Nokia will have their work cut out for them. Apple appears to be poised to make the iPad a compelling media-consumption solution for e-books, video, music, web browsing, and games -- all categories that can catch the consumer's fancy. Can a MeeGo tablet compete on any of those fronts? If not, upon what fronts (besides geekiness )? Still, if they can interface with Amazon, that could go a long way.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
c) I want:
  • ARM, not Atom ... 1GHz is good.
  • Meego/Maemo, not Windows 7 (if they did Atom), not Symbian.
  • 1-2GB RAM
  • at least 4GB storage ... though, 32GB, like the N900, would be sweet
  • 3G option (and, having it be like the ICD Gemini, that can do SMS/MMS and Voice, would be cool)
  • 10" 1024x600 or 1366x768 would be fine ... but 1280x720 would be ideal, to me.
  • PixelQi display would be PERFECT.
  • Must have both USB Host/OTG ports for keyboard/mouse/storage/etc ... AND USB client for charging/syncing/etc.
  • DVI-I out would be preferred, but HDMI out would be ok.
  • Portrait and Landscape mode virtual keyboard ... with Swype support
  • Generic open ePUB reader would be great.... and so would a "Kindle for MeeGo" app.
  • Amazon MP3 store support.

I could probably come up with more items later... but that's a good start.
I'm mostly with you on that list, but the screens...

I'm running 1024x600 on a 9" netbook and staring at big square pixels wishing they were more and smaller. 1024x600 on 10" on my buddy's netbook is even worse. The one good argument against 9" netbooks (and smaller ones, if there were any that aren't just smaller screens in a 9" chassis) is the keyboard -- since onscreen keyboards can have less commonly used characters on other pages, that no longer applies, and we can/should see smaller as well as higher resolution screens.

1366x768 in 9 inches -- that's starting to be a screen (bonus points for fitting 720p content at native resolution, with subtitles below!), but I'd really rather 1280x720 (or better yet, 1280x800) in an 8" screen. Especially if it's PixelQi.

(Yes, I do understand that yield goes down/defects go up both with pixel density and with square inches of glass, so I'm not denying there's some technical challenge here. But what I'm asking is not at all unreasonable...)

Agree on the 3G option -- I probably would skip it, since I can tether to N900, but that means more market success and also leaves room and connections inside for some classic EeePC hacks -- at the very least we can add a 64GB Rally2 or so...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Let me throw my 2 cents into the pot... What I would be happy to see from Nokia:

1. 1280*720 screen, HDMI out
2. ARM and MeeGo
3. Possibly e-Ink/PixelQi display
4. A good resistive screen and good writing recognition

If they do this, they'll provide a serious open OS, good entertainment value with real HD video, a display people would actually want to read books on, and last but not least, a tablet on which you can take notes and create content, instead of only consuming. I believe this formula would be a winner in the longer term.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post: