Poll: Is the new site useable on your Nokia internet tablet
Poll Options
Is the new site useable on your Nokia internet tablet

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It doesnt even work well on my laptop... Following the logic of "provide an optimized page for tablet viewing", please add "provide an optimized page for laptop viewing" as an additional choice.

Also, it sends my 770 to reboot before the front page is loaded - so I didnt really know what to choose

Maybe "Make it plain HTML that works on compliant browsers" would be an option.

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ queen creek , AZ
i like it but i flashed back to 2007 from 2008 on my n800 and now this site runs so slow ... but im thinkin it just might be because of the flash on the home page... and also the search doesn't drop down anymore i have to hold it down and open in a separate window....

It works OK for me on the N800, but I always switch to classic mode before doing anything. I'm a bit bothered by the very long load time before I even get there (I'm sometimes on a lousy net and on such nets the loading time is really really noticable). I wish for a different link for the mobile-optimized versions.. http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/mobile anyone?

Edit: I just read Reggie's reference post:
>3. Auto loading of mobile theme on forums
If that works I would be fine, particularly if the detection is done early enough to avoid the stuff that increases my load time..

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I've got two bookmarks for ITT - one for the Mobile II style and another for the full fat (default) style (which I rarely use nowadays).

Mobile II New Posts bookmark
N810 v2 New Posts bookmark

Why let the site choose based on device? Just bookmark which version of the site you want to see. Fortunately the site remembers the preferred style in a cookie so I can happily view the site using Mobile II on the N800 and full fat in a desktop browser without any confusion.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
[QUOTE]I love ITT but it is no longer useable for me on my tablet. QUOTE]

On OS2008/N800 this is my experience also. Sometimes it is so bad that I have to give up entirely. It is ironic that the site dedicated to the Internet Tablet should be about the worse performing when accessed on the device.

The latest MicroB storms everything else, but ITT Forum brings it to its knees.

Yes I could use the mobile version but I don't need to do so with any other site so why this one of all sites?

Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
Yes I could use the mobile version but I don't need to do so with any other site so why this one of all sites?
Something's coming. How about the Classic theme then? That should look like any other forum-based site.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Something's coming.
That is good news.

The new look is a real eye catcher on my pc and props for that. But shouldn't the design brief take into account the scope of the IT as a primary consideration?

Quite apart from performance issues, about 50% of the Home screen is taken up with gratuitous eye candy, an indulgence for which the IT doesn’t have the screen size to justify. Accepted, most sites care little for such limitations but surely the ITT Forum should? Even the BBC News site makes far more efficient use of the screen.

Sorry I just don’t get it.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Toulouse, France
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Fortunately the site remembers the preferred style in a cookie so I can happily view the site using Mobile II on the N800 and full fat in a desktop browser without any confusion.
This is exactly what I do (except substitute "Classic" for "Mobile II") and it works just fine.

Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
Accepted, most sites care little for such limitations but surely the ITT Forum should? Even the BBC News site makes far more efficient use of the screen.

Sorry I just don’t get it.
Hey, cut some slack on a one-man run site here.

I've always used the Classic (blue) mode on desktops/laptops, and plain Mobile (not II/III) on the tablets. Can't see my way through the black theme(s). Waiting for the new tablet-specific theme Reggie has announced...