Active Topics

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
From the other thread:

Does this mean this project is dead unless someone other than Stskeeps can run with it?
Not dead, but on a dose. MeeGo would be on N8x0 soon.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I have even run some Fremantle SDL_gles apps (tuxrace, brain party) but the results are mostly appalling. A few seconds just to load a 800x480 texture; load two of these and crash. While there's still hope this might be caused by bugs/low memory conditions on the opened parts of the driver, it's not very rewarding to develop them...

I think I've said this a few times, but I can set up a garage or gitorious project if someone is really interested in contributing.
To deliver apps on what platform? Mer? MeeGo? What's the point right now? I wish I could sound less gloomy and doomy but.. yanno.. Nokia.. abandoned.. Mer.. Meego. But in all seriousness, what do you mean?

Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Not dead, but on a dose. MeeGo would be on N8x0 soon.
Pardon me if I don't cry out, "I'll believe it when I see it." at this point. So much for the promise of an open hardware platform. We were GIVEN almost-open.. then Nokia told us we needed to learn to appreciate closed-source (you DO remember that, right?).. then they illustrated for us how GREAT closed-source mixed with open-source really was for us by denying us the ability to have fixes and updates that we could even provide for ourselves. And now they're back to the "open-source is great!' rally cry again.

I'm so tired of having been their customer with a supposed open-source product, now.

Last edited by danramos; 2010-04-29 at 07:32.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
From this thread.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just quickly answering this one - Nokia only pushed TI to do this, but the absense of a driver is not a fault of Nokias, it was not their driver to give.

I was quite surprised to hear that TI announced they had a working driver for N8x0 at Maemo Summit and started planning for this arrival.

Now, imagine my surprise when it turns out they (TI) did not actually try it on anything but their development platforms and not with the N8x0 devices, in fact, had not been developed wit N8x0 nor did they have any to test on?

That screws up things quite a bit when a small task of integration turns into a driver porting task. As it was a high priority of the community, I spent a -lot- of nights working on this, with some kind of workable result. Now, there is still some work to be done in that area, but it is out of my expertise. Maybe it returns now with the MeeGo for N8x0 port.
So the driver is total BS. Would it possible to push TI to do something about it? If they promised driver for N8x0 they didn't really deliver. Probably not but it seems to me that if TI doesn't fix the driver, N8x0 will never have working 3D acceleration.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mixu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
yea id say push them too, im patiently waiting of some 3d gfx drivers to help on my own development

Originally Posted by Mixu View Post
From this thread.

So the driver is total BS. Would it possible to push TI to do something about it? If they promised driver for N8x0 they didn't really deliver. Probably not but it seems to me that if TI doesn't fix the driver, N8x0 will never have working 3D acceleration.
At this point, does it matter anymore? It's like begging at the table for scraps, now. I'll be happy just to have an updated kernel and decent 2D accelerated graphics just so I can have an updated operating system and finally get out of being stuck in 2008.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm from the school of straight talk.

I'm already getting some updates for my OS via the Community SSU. Apparently I've missed a ton from the Mer, to Mer^2 to MeeGo talk and how that will play out on my N810. But apparently it means that I'll be stuck with OS2008 and nothing else will ever happen on my "open" device... ever. I'll never be able to flash my device with the newest OS of anything directly.

If that's the case, why can't it just be said?

It's nothing against anybody in the know; I'm just not in the know and what I've cobbled together looks dismal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I'm normally open to being cheered up with promises of something new and sitting patiently, but I fell for that too often and for far too long here with Nokia's N800. It didn't help that I had an incredibly awful time with hardware support (parts, stylus, SD compatibility issue, etc.) to boot.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
At this point, does it matter anymore? It's like begging at the table for scraps, now. I'll be happy just to have an updated kernel and decent 2D accelerated graphics just so I can have an updated operating system and finally get out of being stuck in 2008.
We are talking about 3D accelerator here but does this same driver also do 2D acceleration? Are we utilizing 2D acceleration at the moment?
(Looks like I'm still going back and forth between stages 2,3 & 4 in my process of grief )

But if the rumors about the Nokia E7 are true, I might then just accept the fate of my N810 and bury my (or company's actually) E50 at the same time.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
To deliver apps on what platform? Mer? MeeGo? What's the point right now?
On any platform, as long as it works on the N8x0 .
I wish I could sound less gloomy and doomy but.. yanno.. Nokia.. abandoned.. Mer.. Meego. But in all seriousness, what do you mean?
Nokia didn't abandon anything. Developers are abandoning it!

Just look at how you need to _prod_ developers to NOT remove support for the N8x0 from their apps. Certain person here removed N8x0 support entirely from a certain piece of code that I made "just because he could" (then fortunately added it back when requested). It's hard to convince developers to develop for a platform they don't have!

Pardon me if I don't cry out, "I'll believe it when I see it." at this point.
MeeGo is already on the N8x0 (if MeeGo ever gets a default OSS tablet UI, not twm, we'll see ;P ).

Originally Posted by Mixu View Post
We are talking about 3D accelerator here but does this same driver also do 2D acceleration?
It is one of Stskeeps dreams to try Qt 2D acceleration with OpenVG, but the pessimist in me says the performance of it will not be acceptable.

There's a fact that you might need to accept: what if the beloved N8x0's MBX is just SLOW? Maybe because of the external framebuffer, maybe because the chipset was designed for a Game Boy. What if the apparent slowness it's not caused by bugs in the 3D driver?

It's something I'm reticent to accept too, but think of it. The N900 SGX is not impressively fast either, so I'm wary of what an older generation chipset will do.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-04-29 at 13:30.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
What if the apparent slowness it's not caused by bugs in the 3D driver?
Being able to run Quake 3 at a decent framerate is fast enough in my book(see MBX lite in Dell x50v or OMAP2 running Symbian). The reason must be that manufacturers don't give a crap about Linux and don't code proper drivers.

The Following User Says Thank You to derhorst For This Useful Post: