Last edited by qspb; 2022-08-02 at 23:48. Reason: Solution was found.

The Following User Says Thank You to qspb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by qspb View Post
Hello.

My aim is to write simple perl script which will show cell id, LAC and signal strength (dBm). I'm going to run it on my Nokia N9. But I don't know how to get this parameters from MeeGo Harmattan API's. Does anyone know how to get them? Should I call some Dbus method?

Thanks in advance.
Hello qspb,

maybe [Announce] cellid2geolocation.sh is a good starting point for you. Note, that this script for the N900 will not work on your N9, i.e. you will not get a local area code and cellid.

I observed a different behaviour on the N9. Cellid showed up when the cellid changes and when the N9 registers to GSM. I tried the following: Deregister from GSM, start dbus monitoring, register to GSM, evaluate output of dbus monitoring. Unfortunately, this does not work anymore for me, maybe you have more luck
Code:
#turn off GSM Radio (needed reregistration for cellid)
dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.phone.SSC /com/nokia/phone/SSC com.nokia.phone.SSC.set_radio boolean:false

dbus-monitor --system > dbus.txt  &

#turn on GSM Radio (needed reregistration for cellid)
dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.phone.SSC /com/nokia/phone/SSC com.nokia.phone.SSC.set_radio boolean:true

sleep 10; ps -ef | grep "dbus-monitor" | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}' | xargs kill -9

Last edited by BluesLee; 2012-10-02 at 09:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Hello BluesLee

Thank you for your reply. I understood the way I can get Cell ID, but it's seems to be not applicable, because it interrupts GSM connection, and I just want to get current Cell ID just like "CellTrack" program does it on Nokia 5800.
For sure you can do this in pure Qt, please see the Harmattan reference: Properties of the class QSystemNetworkInfo. Using corresponding bindings it can be also implemented within Python but i doubt that there are any for Perl, at least a quick 'apt-cache search qtmobility | grep perl' gave me no results.

The Following User Says Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Recently I created an application "MeeCell" (cellular net monitor for Harmattan) which can be downloaded from http://qspb.net/meecell.
This is great, I have been missing an application like this for the N9.
Thank you!

Unfortunately, I can't publish it in OVI store. Maybe, I need to tell about this app in "Software" forum?
Maybe publish it here:
https://openrepos.net/
Also create an '[Announce] MeeCell (cellular net monitor for Harmattan)' thread in the Applications section of talk.maemo.org.

I have one small issue with MeeCell, it displays my Cell ID as 26320477.
This is actually the RNC ID and Cell ID combined into one number.
Could you split them please? The upper 16 bits are the RNC ID and the lower 16 bits are the Cell ID.
The number above is 0x1919e5d in hexadecimal, so the RNC ID is 0x191 and the Cell ID is 0x9e5d.
The display should be:
RNC ID: 401
Cell ID: 40541

Last edited by ginggs; 2013-09-27 at 05:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to ginggs For This Useful Post:
I am very grateful to you for your remark. This is because I've also managed to solve the problem with displaying correct "network type" value. And the solution is based on RNC ID. So, I'm very pleased.
You can already download the corrected version of the application ( http://qspb.net/meecell ).
New version working nicely, thanks!

Discussion continued here.

Tags
harmattan, nokia n9