Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Will any of this run on a Nokia N800?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Will any of this run on a Nokia N800?
Already runs on N810:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AEKIXVeBGY
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Already runs on N810:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AEKIXVeBGY
Has it been running on an N800, though? I seem to recall that things weren't 100% compatible for a while between the two when Mer and MeeGo were being worked on--at least at the beginning when I was watching it more closely--which is specifically the reason why I'm asking.

The video is great to watch--booting, but how usable is it?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Has it been running on an N800, though? I seem to recall that things weren't 100% compatible for a while between the two when Mer and MeeGo were being worked on--at least at the beginning when I was watching it more closely--which is specifically the reason why I'm asking.

The video is great to watch--booting, but how usable is it?
Not very, but at least it boots.

It's just a core, you'd have to get a user interface on top yourself - or take one that exists around.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Not very, but at least it boots.
Has anyone looked into that X fix you mentioned might help wrt usability?

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Limited to whatever people want to put it on. MeeGo Handset CE is already rebasing on top of it, so that's N900/N950/N9, I guess someone will have a generic x86 adaptation pretty soon if there isn't one already (it should be doable by picking up the pieces from MeeGo itself)...

It's probably also possible to get it booting on a larger range of devices, since Mer (unlike MeeGo) is building for a much wider range of architectures, not just armv7
From what you have said i still do not understand how it will be available for "whatever people want to put it on".

For meego to be usable on any device it must have all the needed hardware drivers of that particular device so i just dont get it right now because the meego.ce was nothing more than a very basic ui with hardly any use on the N900.

Meego as as OS is what is on the N9 and as an example for any adaptation for a particular device it includes all the drivers for the N9's hardware.

It is all well and good talking about meego but unless it takes care of and drives all components in whatever device it is to be installed on, it is of no use whatsoever.

Hence why todate it just does not work for the N900.

My question is ... WHAT device is this going to be developed for?.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
From what you have said i still do not understand how it will be available for "whatever people want to put it on".
Okay, so let's say I'm a device hacker. I have $mysterious_device. I want to get rid of $crappy_os and put something nice, open, and hackable on there. I take Mer, I create a "hardware adaptation" repository for $mysterious_device, then I create an image pulling in both Mer and packages for hardware adaptation, and if all goes well, I have an image that will boot, start a display, and not do much else.

I decide that having a black screen is all very interesting but I'd actually like to put something on it, so then I go pick a UX project (MeeGo CE or Plasma Active or Cordia or something else), and drop them into my image building configuration, build a new image, if all goes well - when I install it - I have an image that boots to display and then starts that UX.

That is: by "everyone", it's "everyone who is a device hacker or hardware vendor" - people who aren't will be relying on these people to build them images, or have to learn to do so themselves.

(Getting the picture a bit more now?)

For meego to be usable on any device it must have all the needed hardware drivers of that particular device so i just dont get it right now because the meego.ce was nothing more than a very basic ui with hardly any use on the N900.
You're confusing a few different things here, one is the UI (CE) with the device adaptation. They're seperate things for us, although in MeeGo they were combined (which wasn't such a great thing for various reasons).

Have you tried CE 1.3 by the way? It's still pretty basic, of course - but things are improving: see also things like http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78531

Hence why todate it just does not work for the N900.
What (in CE) doesn't work on the n900? Camera, SMS, calling, and other basics work out of the box, AFAIK, and if they don't, that's a bug and needs fixing.

My question is ... WHAT device is this going to be developed for?.
Mer has no specific device target. It's a reusable core for hackers to put on any device they want. So far, with various device adaptations, it's already running on generic x86 (things like the ideapad and exopc), n900, n950, n9. It also boots on the n810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Okay, so let's say I'm a device hacker. I have $mysterious_device. I want to get rid of $crappy_os and put something nice, open, and hackable on there. I take Mer, I create a "hardware adaptation" repository for $mysterious_device, then I create an image pulling in both Mer and packages for hardware adaptation, and if all goes well, I have an image that will boot, start a display, and not do much else.
So, what would make me a device hacker?
And what is the hardware adaption part. Can
I (or any N9(50) owner) use the mer core, already?
I followed the meego ce wiki page, but I could find
the mentioned bootloader (moslo) for booting th N950
meego ce image.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
So, what would make me a device hacker?
You'd have to be someone wanting to work on hardware adaptation, i.e. kernel, drivers, getting it actually booting..

And what is the hardware adaption part.
I'm not the best person to answer this, so I'll let Stskeeps or someone else take it.

Can I (or any N9(50) owner) use the mer core, already?
MeeGo CE has already booted on top of Mer. Repositories and so on for device adaptations will be coming soon I guess - give people a chance to work things out. N9/N950 support is waiting on MOSLO from Nokia at the moment, hopefully coming real soon now™ (or someone may have to find a way around it ...)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I want to know something i do not understand about meego.

Is meego an OS or is it a UI or GUI ?.

Tags
déjà vu, for the fjords, just pining, meego is dead, not dead