Active Topics

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Version 0.0.6-1 has been uploaded to the repo and to the project homepage.

Changes and fixes as above with one extra smallish thread bug fixed and a minimal change to the startup graphics. Shuffle is still not perfect but it won't kill the application as soon as it runs into a corner.

If the playing stops while Shuffling, try to start another song and you'll get some more play-time out of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
There is already a despotify package for the library and some simple client. As far as I know, this has been patched with new client version identifiers but it still might not work.
You can request to become the maintainer if you like. There have been some cases where package maintainership has been handed over.

Of course with libdespotify it's a bit complicated as the API changed between r488 and r508. Updating to r508 breaks the older (less maintained) clients or there needs to be some modifications to the library to support the old API.

Originally Posted by tekojo View Post
You can request to become the maintainer if you like. There have been some cases where package maintainership has been handed over.
I have thought about that. As things are now, I'm not sure I've got the time to maintain two packages (even though I'll compile despotify as needed). Perhaps this changes over the summer.

But, as an idea, I agree on it not being a bad one.

Of course with libdespotify it's a bit complicated as the API changed between r488 and r508. Updating to r508 breaks the older (less maintained) clients or there needs to be some modifications to the library to support the old API.
As far as I know, the crucial change in the initialization API happened already in revision 489. But, as you say, older clients will suffer if the maintainers aren't around to take care of them.

Backward compatibility feels like trouble since there is an old function that has changed.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2010 @ @Netherlands
Footify is getting better and better! no crashes anymore and very reliable. i thought about 1 thing. is it possible to create a save button to add a song you found using the search function to a playlist?
When this feature is there, i never need to start my pc for spotify anymore

keep up the great work!

Originally Posted by jacobkorf View Post
Footify is getting better and better! no crashes anymore and very reliable. i thought about 1 thing. is it possible to create a save button to add a song you found using the search function to a playlist?
When this feature is there, i never need to start my pc for spotify anymore

keep up the great work!
Despotify has no functionality to add or remove songs from playlists.

An alternative would be to keep a list of "interesting" songs on the N900 but this playlist would not be available on your PC.

Hi,

my client is very very slow somehow since version 0.0.4 (I think 0.0.3 worked better).
Having launched it in terminal, I see a constant output of:
pulse.c: pa_simple_write() failed: Invalid argument

I do have some large playlists, but that shouldn't be a problem, should it? I've been testing it with this playlist: spotify:user:topsifylaylist:1QM1qz09ZzsAPiXphF1l 4S

When I do finally get a song to play, it at most plays one.

Somehow the entire client becomes unresponsive.

Originally Posted by florian View Post
Hi,

my client is very very slow somehow since version 0.0.4 (I think 0.0.3 worked better).
Are you using the latest, 0.0.6-1, now or some other version?

Having launched it in terminal, I see a constant output of:
pulse.c: pa_simple_write() failed: Invalid argument
The read loop that pumps data from despotify to PulseAudio has to be started at a certain time to make despotify start doing things (or that's how it looks to me). If despotify isn't ready to deliver data, you get this message. I have left it like this to be able to see that the read loop is still alive. At some time I'll make this go away and if it's a problem that this is sent to the console, I might do it sooner.

I do have some large playlists, but that shouldn't be a problem, should it? I've been testing it with this playlist: spotify:user:topsifylaylist:1QM1qz09ZzsAPiXphF1l 4S
How many songs are there in this playlist? footify asks for all saved playlists and all songs after logging in so if you have many playlists with lots of songs in them, startup will take some time.

When I do finally get a song to play, it at most plays one.
This doesn't sound good. Are all songs in the playlist playable? Did you activate Shuffle? Does it behave the same way if you start another song in the playlist? How are you connected to the internet?

Somehow the entire client becomes unresponsive.
If despotify is busy waiting for data from the Spotify servers, things might get slow. Are you running any other CPU hungry processes at the same time?

Are you using the latest, 0.0.6-1, now or some other version?
Yup, running 0.0.6-1

The read loop that pumps data from despotify to PulseAudio has to be started at a certain time to make despotify start doing things (or that's how it looks to me). If despotify isn't ready to deliver data, you get this message. I have left it like this to be able to see that the read loop is still alive. At some time I'll make this go away and if it's a problem that this is sent to the console, I might do it sooner.
Right, but this seems to take 2 mins or more, per song?

Please note: I'm testing this via WiFi on a 50Mbit/s line. So internet speed shouldn't be the issue here.

How many songs are there in this playlist? footify asks for all saved playlists and all songs after logging in so if you have many playlists with lots of songs in them, startup will take some time.
Right, login takes about 5 minutes, but I do have quite a few playlists. Can't these be cached?

This doesn't sound good. Are all songs in the playlist playable? Did you activate Shuffle? Does it behave the same way if you start another song in the playlist? How are you connected to the internet?
No shuffle, no repeat ... all songs that should play back are playable. It behaves slow like this in every playlist.

If despotify is busy waiting for data from the Spotify servers, things might get slow. Are you running any other CPU hungry processes at the same time?
No other CPU hungry processes.

Version 0.0.7-1 has been uploaded to the Extras-devel repository.

New features:
+ It is now possible to choose between high and low bitrate.
+ It is now possible to enable local cache of cover art, album information and playlists.

Changes:
* The debug message from the sound layer has been removed.

To think about:
The cache is located in /home/user/.cache/despotify and it's important to remember that this is in the 2GByte "program partition". If you'd like to allow for a bigger cache, you need to create a symlink to somewhere under MyDocs and hope it works. I have not tried this.

Please experiment with high and low bitrates and report if it changes the behaviour of the client. It's extra interesting to know if lots of big playlists still is a problem or not.

Playlists handling seems to be atomic in despotify. This means that if you change one playlist, all playlists will be downloaded again. This might be by design by Spotify.

If you change the settings for bitrate and cache, please wait a moment for the change to reach the gconf system before clicking Login. I have no idea why it sometimes takes a while.

Hey,

the client works a lot smoother now that the playlists are cached. How are they refreshed?

For playback: It still takes "ages" (anything between 30 seconds and 5 minutes) to start the first track. Once that one is started, the playing is fast. No long waits between tracks, even when skipping.