Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I'd want the development to continue along the N800-line (instead of N810), perhaps including a N910 spinoff again. This means I'd prefer the N900 not to include too many hardware features but rely on bluetooth accessories. It also means that storage capacity should go up again.

The fundamental design is really great the way it is. I'd of course expect more horsepower from a new device, but else? Maybe a better camera so it can at least compete with what my cell phone has (2Mpix). I do a lot of mobile blogging, and moving pix from any external device to the tablet is an unnecessary step. So the cam should just about be good enough for some pictures to add to my blog.

Of course, the hard cover is a must. Speaking of it, I'd expect the N900 to be sturdy, robust, a real 'on the go' device that you take out in the rain, in a sandstorm and whatever else you find yourself in.

The idea of accelerometer-based screen rotation is nice. I think I'd use it a lot when surfing: I spend a lot of my time on text-only sites and text is so much easier to read on a narrow but tall screen.

Some details... Get rid of this mysterious design issue with the video bandwidth and such. Don't use hardware components that require proprietary drivers.

Everything else is software, I'd say. New codecs (OGG Vorbis and Theora!), A2DP, Java, syncing contacts and calendars, whatever we miss... its software.

Mhm... seems I dont really have a long list, do I? Maybe the tablets are right just the way they are.

- accelerometers + full support for it (auto-rotating and usable interface in portrait mode)
- big comeback of FM radio
- ogg, flac support
- more CPU, RAM and internal memory (with big enough internal disk additional card slot won't be necessary)
- better layout of keyboard and buttons (assymetry of slider is worrying me)
- second camera for taking photos (with smart optics you can use only one matrix)
- OpenGL support
- charging through micro-USB
- real USB host mode
- bigger screen without increasing of form factor or keep resolution but shrink size further (get rid of D-pad completely? see keyboard layout)
- WiMax
- good PIM, Office suite (preferably Kontact and KOffice

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
Seeing as how we are in a "dream" state, I'll add my wishes...

1. I'd like to see a "pop-up" vanity mirror for when we do video chat we can make sure we look good! (Ustream here we come!)

2. An expresso coffee unit either as a USB attachment or built-in so ThoughtFix and I can get our coffee fixes.

3. Software to interact with my truck this winter to be able to start the engine from the comfort of my bed... and have it warmed up by the time I'm ready to go.

4. A built-in help system that has instructions on playing Bejeweled (or whatever the heck its called).

... just to name a few. I have more, just ask.

Regards...

Omega

A set (say, six or so) of legs so that i can whistle to my tablet and it comes walking to me.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Yes WiMAX! Time for a little speculation....

As soon as WiMAX is widespread, it's going to open the floodgates for VoIP providers. They will be able to compete with cell carriers with EXTREMELY low rates, often offering free calling between an increasing numbers of VoIPers. The extra consumer money will be re-routed back into various "WiMAX access plans" with bandwidth caps for the corporations lucky enough to provide coverage. This will keep the end consumer prices at a slow steady (though inevitable) decline, as they scramble to determine new ways to make money with zany service schemes.

Google will offer the gPhone as a free method of calling with ads and be heralded as "internet geniuses" though the device will be primitive (but low cost) and green. Apple will announce an iPhone with WiMAX, free calling, and flash 10 browser support to an adorning crowd. Microsoft will scramble to make a crappy knock-off product featuring SilverLight under the guise of originality... The irony..

The N900 will rule them all in terms of quality with a mature software library, mature hardware, and all the features one could want.

The bandwidth race will begin as information transfer (especially between users) demands grow exponentially. The convergence of all information (Video/hyper-text/Audio) will be beamed into the pockets and homes of all patrons.

The N900 will be the first pocketable device to support them all, plus have the horsepower to handle advanced features such as voice recognition, accelerated 3D games, grid computing, etc.

WiFi will still exist as a free alternative to costly WiMAX coverage, and will be increasingly available in buildings.

}:^)~
YARR!!

GPS Mapt'n

Wi-fi and US-wide Wi-Max. Which mean the N900 might never materialize.
Sprint is still rolling out wi-max though, so there's hope.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
1) tilt screen instead of a kick-stand

2) screen slides only (not the whole face)

3) 2 dpads, centered vertically left and right. Prefs would choose 1 to be an actual dpad, and the other to be a button cluster (up=zoom in, down=zoom out, left= escape/back, right = home, center=menu).

4) microUSB client with charging, mircoUSB-OTG

5) microSD card (2 would be nice)

6) micro-DVI video out (with DVI-A support)

7) Bluetooth PAN (and retain Bluetooth DUN)

8) Ability to control a cell phone via bluetooth (tablet acts as a hands-free device, displaying caller-id, accepting or rejecting calls, initiating calls from its contacts list)

9) Full support for integrating with bluetooth hard drives (Seagate DAVE and Agere BluOnyx)

10) picture cam on the back (don't care either way about the chat cam) with better resolution/quality than the chat cam; bonus if it'll do video as well as stills

11) SIP phone client

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
2) screen slides only (not the whole face)
I wouldn't be surprised if soon the screen *was* the face. It's only a matter of time, before the resolution and the screen size increases, though I hope that the unit doesn't get any larger.

3) 2 dpads, centered vertically left and right. Prefs would choose 1 to be an actual dpad, and the other to be a button cluster (up=zoom in, down=zoom out, left= escape/back, right = home, center=menu).
While we're at it, put a small trackball, nub, or analog DPAD as a substitute for the existing DPAD. It woud be nice to be able to use this rig as a gaming unit for those that choose it, plus have a completely new (but still intuitive) input method, with exciting possibilities. A trackball would likely be the most space effective and versatile.

9) Full support for integrating with bluetooth hard drives (Seagate DAVE and Agere BluOnyx)

11) SIP phone client
These are great features that are already present! The DAVE drive may not be out, but the N810 will be able to connect to it through Bluetooth, or 802.11g. The GizmoPhone, or RTCOMM are sip clients ensuring hours of free (or low cost) calling!

}:^)~
YARR!!

The Captinator

A SIP client that works through a VPN tunnel would be nice.
That's NOT present on any Internet Tablet at the moment and even OS2008 won't have it from what's been said in the bugzilla report on it.
Some of us work at places where the Asterisk servers are behind Cisco PIX firewalls and would like to be able to have a "work phone" anywhere there's wi-fi.

Originally Posted by omegaone37 View Post
Seeing as how we are in a "dream" state, I'll add my wishes...

1. I'd like to see a "pop-up" vanity mirror for when we do video chat we can make sure we look good! (Ustream here we come!)
Vanity camera already supported in most video chat applications. What you want is automatic photoshop touchups to make you look better.

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist