Notices

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I got my copy of ClipMan from the store today.

I think this will be a very useful application for the N9, due to lack of hardware keyboard. It would be even more useful if Nokia will give us copy and paste in xterm.

I do however have a couple of bugs to report. I am guessing that the lock/unlock toolbutton should be checked when the highlighted item is unlocked. However, it is possible to make it become checked when the item is locked and unchecked when locked. You can see this in the screenshots above. The other problem is that it is possible to add an item by copy part of an existing item to the clipboard (see third screenshot), but the added item cannot be deleted from the database. It reappears when I restart the application. I actually like the ability to create a new item from an existing one. In fact, I think it would be nice to allow full editing of an existing item by making the textarea writable instead of read-only. You could have a '+' button that appears when the item is edited, which would add the edited item to the list when clicked. This would make it easy to have lots of xterm commands on tap, ready for when Nokia give us that damn copy and paste in xterm.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I think this will be a very useful application for the N9, due to lack of hardware keyboard. It would be even more useful if Nokia will give us copy and paste in xterm.
Oh yes. This is soooo true. I hope they are able to find a good way to integrate it. A way to mark text and copy it are missing at so many places including the built in webbrowser.

I do however have a couple of bugs to report. I am guessing that the lock/unlock toolbutton should be checked when the highlighted item is unlocked. However, it is possible to make it become checked when the item is locked and unchecked when locked. You can see this in the screenshots above.
Hmm... I'm not sure if I got you right. The button shows the state the currently selected item has. The default value is unlocked thus unchecked.

Hm, I'm not sure if I get you right. In your opinion the button should have the value the item will get as soon as you press the button? Or is the icon fine but the check state should change?

Different philosophy but someway logical. I will test how this feels for me but I know only the current behavior from my Desktop PC.

The other problem is that it is possible to add an item by copy part of an existing item to the clipboard (see third screenshot), but the added item cannot be deleted from the database. It reappears when I restart the application.

Mh, yes. This is a special feature, marxian, not a bug.

I have already thought about this issue and if I should try to "fix it". What you see is my current compromise.

ClipMan detects at the startup if there is currently unstored content in the clipboard. If you delete the newest item (the one you have mostly still in the clipboard), close ClipMan and restart it the application puts the current content again to the database (because it's currently missing there)

A possible fix would be to empty the clipboard if a item with the same content is deleted. But what if a user wan't only to delete the entry in ClipMan, switch to his Emails and past the last content he had copied himself to the clipboard several minutes ago.

In this case a user could have a bad experience because of a unexpected behavior of ClipMan.

So I thought the current implementation would be the best solution.

What do you think after this clarification?

I could add a query if a user want's to empty also the clipboard if he deletes the first item.
Could this work for you?

I actually like the ability to create a new item from an existing one. In fact, I think it would be nice to allow full editing of an existing item by making the textarea writable instead of read-only.
Yes, I love it too and this will be part of the next update. But the textarea will still be read-only. I placed a button at the upper right corner to edit the text. If you press the button a new page with editable textarea and virtual keyboard will appear.
At ClipMan it is because of the read-only textarea a little bit more accurate to mark a text compared to textareas with enabled virtual keyboard. (it has problems to detect if I want to place the coursor or if I want to mark a text)

I guess the qml textarea is anyway still a construcion zone. I wanted to add a own virtual keyboard with coursor buttons to the textarea. But the property platformCustomSoftwareInputPanel is currently only aviable at single line text fields, not at multiline textareas.

You could have a '+' button that appears when the item is edited, which would add the edited item to the list when clicked.
Mmh, good Idea. A button to add the whole edited text. At the solution for the current update I have to mark the text and copy it if I wan't to reuse it later. I guess I have to change this. Thanks for your proposal!
But perhaps you have to wait for the after next update. I wan't to release the editable textarea as soon as possible. I have only 2 issues I wan't to fix before.

By the way, do you know if it is possible to show the virtual keyboard and the menu at the same time?

This would make it easy to have lots of xterm commands on tap, ready for when Nokia give us that damn copy and paste in xterm.
The cursor Buttons are a big step forward. Sadly they are currently using swipe gestues to change the Buttons at the area where we need to mark text for our clipboard.
I guess xterm is not open source, otherwise it would be fixed since ages.

So, I hope my answer was not to long. The first update will arrive soon. Thanks for your feedback.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
However, it is possible to make it become checked when the item is locked and unchecked when locked.
Sorry, got it now. I was able to reproduce this bug. Will try to fix it soon!

Thanks for reporting.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Regarding the lock/unlock toolbutton. The issue is that the checkstate is inconsistent. Sometimes it is checked when unlocked, other times it is checked when locked. It depends upon the combination of actions that you take. I think it is actually unnecessary for the toolbutton to be checkable. What matters is that the user can see whether the item is locked/unlocked, and that is the case due to the change in the icon and the enabling/disabling of the delete button.

I see what you mean about adding the existing clipboard item on startup. I didn't consider that. It's actually a really good idea, so I think you should leave it as it is.

It is possible to display a menu and the virtual keyboard at the same time. I have implemented this in my own applications. The menu shifts up when the virtual keyboard is displayed, like this:

My website

GitHub

So, I pushed now a first update with the lock button bugfix and a first edit mode to the OVI QA. The Update should appear next week. I don't know how long the Nokia team needs for the quality testing for a update.

The textarea is still readonly but I placed a edit button in the upper right corner of the field:

If you press it the list disappears and you get a big textarea with enought space to edit the text:

It is possible to display a menu and the virtual keyboard at the same time. I have implemented this in my own applications. The menu shifts up when the virtual keyboard is displayed, like this:
Oh, sorry, I meant with "Menu" the Menu at the lower end of the screen, the ToolBarLayout {}

As you can see the back button disappears as soon as the keyboard is shown:

It would be better to use if the ToolBar would persist but I haven't found a solution yet. I will investigate more about this topic for the next update. I hope this is possible without dirty tricks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
So, finally the Update for ClipMan arrived at the Ovi Store this evening.

I uploaded ClipManLite about 30 minutes after ClipMan to ovi, but perhaps the quality and assurance team already gone home and will test the free version tomorrow. So stay tuned...

I'm happy to announce: A new Version of ClipMan for the Nokia N9!

v0.1.2
  • added a command to clean up the database and compress the file

You are now able to delete all items in the clipboard list at once except the ones you have proteced using the small lock. This way you are able to keep the list neat and fast.

But this time it is only a update for the paid version because this update makes no sense for ClipManLite - there is no database to store the Clips forever and hence no need for a cleanup.

You are able to select this command in the Menu in the lower right corner. ENJOY!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Hi helex!

Great work. It simply works and does the job as it should on my shiny new N9.

I have only 2 suggestions for small improvements:
  • The blue Button to edit a text is very small - why not place it in the toolbar?
  • I prefer the swipe keyboard and I'm unable to close it in the edit menu. So I always have to swipe it away, get the default keyboard and then close this keyboard to reach the back button. In my opinion the toolbar should persist the whole time.

Apart from that I can't see any potential to improve it. Simply a small and great working application. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
  • The blue Button to edit a text is very small - why not place it in the toolbar?
Hmm... the simple solutions are sometimes really the best. I created it this way because the MeeGo tablet and N900 version doesn't need this button. But hence I already created a totally different UI I will look into it. Perhaps I will add simply a additional button... will see if this is easily doable.

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
  • I prefer the swipe keyboard and I'm unable to close it in the edit menu. So I always have to swipe it away, get the default keyboard and then close this keyboard to reach the back button. In my opinion the toolbar should persist the whole time.
Great timing! I just uploaded last weekend a fix for this issue to the ovi store. It should arrive as soon as the Nokia QA gives a go.

I will add later a teaser screenshot to this thread! I'm currently short in time (have a appointment in several minutes). You will get soon 2 buttons at the top of the text box. One to close the window and one to reuse the whole text in a new Clip. Enjoy and stay tuned!

So, here you have, as promised, the new screenshots:

Main screen with area to close the preview:

Edit screen with two Buttons on the top:

I hope you like this solution!

Last edited by helex; 2011-11-21 at 23:56.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post: