Active Topics

do jolla plan to release one jolla phone each year?

just a n9 successor will make them a big player!

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Short story this one but basically says that Finnish phone operators are positive about Jolla bringing a new MeeGo phone to the market.

http://www.ts.fi/uutiset/talous/3668...e+loytyy+tilaa

Salesmen believes: There are room for Jollas MeeGo phones in the market

Jolla, founded by former Nokia employers, is having a project to bring new MeeGo phones to the mobile phone market. The project is getting positive response from Finnish phone operators. Both DNA and Elisa are ready to take Jolla phones in to their wide range of different products if the specifications of the new phones are in place.

Nokia's first and last MeeGo phone N9 was very well received and it is still having its user base, says the operators.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Plus if they wait for like 6 more months(after win 8 goes to $h!t just like 7.5) Nokia will be more than happy to sell them anything they might need from the SwipeUX for almost nothing.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
Plus if they wait for like 6 more months(after win 8 goes to $h!t just like 7.5) Nokia will be more than happy to sell them anything they might need from the SwipeUX for almost nothing.
actually i think it's opposite, if WP8 fails, Nokia would like to keep sources to something they already worked on, instead of starting from scratch. Only one option is if Nokia would go bankrupt, than they would sell those, but i think first to know about it and buy it would be MS, just to keep those close, soooooo..... I don't think so.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
actually i think it's opposite, if WP8 fails, .
when WP8 fails...

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
actually i think it's opposite, if WP8 fails, Nokia would like to keep sources to something they already worked on, instead of starting from scratch. Only one option is if Nokia would go bankrupt, than they would sell those, but i think first to know about it and buy it would be MS, just to keep those close, soooooo..... I don't think so.
I thought Nokia have outsourced all OS development (WP made by MS, Symbian to Accenture).

So if WP8 doesn't work out and Jolla look to have a solid product, maybe Nokia would look to them for their new product line.

Here's something from Nokia legal, with regards to the patents:
https://twitter.com/markdurrant/stat...86984798347265

"We’re proud of Bridge program support to start-ups founded by ex-Nokians, but we've not gifted patents to any, including Jolla."

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
holla mr.Reggie how do you think about this? Real competitor for tizen? Or maybe better?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
About the UX issue... swipe or not... I have to admit that while the N9 looks nice the way it is and some ideas in the UI are OK, I'd much prefer a desktop like on the N900, on Symbian or Android. It's just so much more powerful. Given that jolla may have to target the more geeky users instead of going for the iPhone market segment, I'd say oversimplifying things (as the N9 does sometimes) shouldn't be on their agenda.

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Here's something from Nokia legal, with regards to the patents:
https://twitter.com/markdurrant/stat...86984798347265

"We’re proud of Bridge program support to start-ups founded by ex-Nokians, but we've not gifted patents to any, including Jolla."
Legal answers are legal answers. I think Gifted is the word you should spot in here.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla