Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
This phone won't show up in stores at all. Either this model will be founded in the next 31 days with $ 32.000.000 or it won't be released at all.
Everyone who pledged $600 today or $830 the next days will get one of those exclusive models.

The iPhone 5 with 64gb is $849 unlocked in the Apple online store.
Some freaks are even buying it
Love the metal and very "unusual" futuristic look, plus the cool dual boot. Personally I doubt ubuntu will be "ready" like all new os, So I see this as a Dev device.

All new phone costs $ 800 where I live. Nothing strange about that.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
The iPhone 5 with 64gb is $849 unlocked in the Apple online store.
Some freaks are even buying it
Queue... Lumiaman....

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Love the metal and very "unusual" futuristic look, plus the cool dual boot. Personally I doubt ubuntu will be "ready" like all new os, So I see this as a Dev device..
Well, that's why they're claiming it'll be shipping by May next yr, but even that's pretty ambitious if it's going to be using Mir/xMir.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Queue... Lumiaman....

Well, that's why they're claiming it'll be shipping by May next yr, but even that's pretty ambitious if it's going to be using Mir/xMir.
I think they will launch it in may/june, but ubuntu OS will be far from ready at the time, that's why you can duel boot android. So you are probably right.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Bold move (if truly accurate), this may really steal Jolla's thunder (tragically), if there's one thing Mark knows, it's marketing/spin, he styles himself after Job's.
And thats makes me wanna puke....

But I am not suprised. Canonical is a copycat company and has always been. Time for me throw kubuntu in trashbin and go for another dist.

I have started been very sick of the way Canonical has got to much attention latest year. They definitivly not deserve all they attention. Some people now beleive Linux actually IS Ubuntu

Btw Jolla:

"Welcome aboard our new Marketing Director! RT @TimMcDigital: Excellent first day on the new job @JollaHQ meeting awesome new colleagues!"

So now I hope Jolla realize for real this is NEEDED marketing marketing marketing

Funny is Jolla has quality of OS. Canonical has Quality of marketing. I hope that TimMcDigital is something who knows about how to show the masses.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-07-22 at 18:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
jolla and ubuntu have both their strength. No device/os is best so it cool that the enduser has more to choose from. What is you issue, mike. U can handle only one OS at the time, sailfish and ubuntu and tizen helping each other as well even if you can't see it.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
That phone has fail written all over it. What are they thinking? $830 in stores? Nobody except a few freaks will be interested in the docking feature, sorry. In addition, while dual boot is cool for the consumer, for a software developer who wants to show off his new OS its a no-go.
Yes UbuntuPhoneOS is boring and not that userfriendly.

But most people are *****s its all about marketing this days. And that Shurtelworth is like Steve Jobs is for Apple freaks. I am sure there is alot of Enduser Linux folks who buys it. It has been shown before. And some people also beleive Ubuntu IS Linux.

Jolla device looks like a cheap toy compared with ubuntu edge, but sailfish like an os seems really solid.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
'Shurtelworth'... I've assumed you being legasthenic for quite some time now, but this tops it for now.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
'Shurtelworth'... I've assumed you being legasthenic for quite some time now, but this tops it for now.
What does that even mean?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I wonder if us linux fans are allergic to success... I feel that if ever something that we like becomes at least a little bit successful we start to hate it.

And you know what? It may well be that to become successful you have to abandon some of the practices that we like, like being very community based and open-only and such things. So in part I understand it. On the other hand however, with things as they are today, you can't create a community phone. You need a commercial entity to back it, closed drivers and all that jazz.

It can be done only two ways: either from companies like jolla or canonical (who try to compete by either closing down UI or using their brand power) or as a fringe project by a behemoth like Nokia and Samsung, who might pour money for the sake of RnD, and be happy with a niche, because they make tons of money elsewhere.

Neither is optimal or what we ultimately want, but in a world where linux mobile has less than 1% (android is excluded for obvious reasons) I don't think we can afford to not support all the efforts even if they are not ideal.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red