Notices

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Small update: Olive Tree (and Laridian, and a few others) are watching this space. No confirmed moves for them to Maemo are coming at this time. Katana is an intriguing project; and its got attention.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Bible App for Maemo 5 - Updated as of 01/02/10

Some updates also posted via Twitter with the hashtags #katanabible and/or #maemo/#maemo5; but this is where the main updates will be for this initiative

The (near-originally posted) Idea
- create a bible application for Maemo 5 devices that will provide the best reading experience, but keeps open the possibility for greater functionality through the use of a plug-in like architecture.
- leverage any lessons learned from Rapier; fix/port Rapier to Maemo 5 and allow it to be placed in a state of easy maintenance without the need of feature updates by its lead developer.

Development (posed as questions)
Develop using what:
- Qt

Who is the development team
- Nathanael Anderson
- Chris Martin
- David Falkayn
- Josh Nisly (He is the one who has actually done all the work on the first alpha)

Where does the project sit:
- katana.maemogarge.org
- http://hurdygurdy.dyndns.org/maemosword/

Who has device(s) to test:
- andrewfblack
- flux41
- joshn53
- revkathy
- twoboxen
- arjwright

For those not listed, please make sure to download and add your comments and thumbs up/down to the respective Extras-Testing sites (listed below).

What does the testing schedule look like (Katana):
- (proposed) 2 alphas (closed feedback), 2 betas (open feedback)

Testing Scripts
- Development Test: Rapier
- Development Test: Katana
- User Test: Rapier on Maemo 5
- User Test: Katana (will follow the same format to the Rapier test above)

Extras-Testing Area-
Rapier
- Katana

-How far does plugin-based system extend functionality:
- Nathanael : So far none -- but the idea is that it would be able to exend most items. Qt has a built in plugin system; we will extend it to allow adding of modules, menu items and controls.

Features (now)
- Sword format
- Bible+ .pdb bibles (Nathanael)
- gesture-based navigation
- search
- compare verses
- bookmarks

Features (later)
- integrated notes (plugin)
- reading of paid modules (plugin)
- maps (plugin)
- social networking (plugin)
- whatever else you folks think of

Project Goals:
- Rapier: ported to Maemo 5, testing is underway (download and comment)
- Katana: (need updated info)

Last edited by ARJWright; 2010-01-02 at 01:15. Reason: Jan 1, 2010 Updates

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pamadio View Post
It looks like Katana's svn repository currently only contain a web page:

https://garage.maemo.org/scm/?group_id=1084
Correct, the garage repositories were having issues and John couldn't submit the first alpha of it....

Rapier source code is available in the svn repository:
https://garage.maemo.org/scm/?group_id=200
Did you want me to package this up still for you, since your computer is having issues?

Nathan.

Bible App for Maemo 5 - Summary as of 11/3/09

Development (posed as questions)
develop using what: QT

who is the development team so far:
- Nathanael Anderson
- Chris Martin
- David Falkayn
- Josh Nisly (He is the one who has actually done all the work on the first alpha)

- where does the project sit: katana.maemogarge.org

- who has devices to test: nobody as of yet

- what does the testing schedule look like
No idea. ;-)

- how far does plugin-based system extend functionality
So far none -- but the idea is that it would be able to exend most items. Qt has a built in plugin system; we will extend it to allow adding of modules, menu items and controls.

Features (now)
- Sword format only
- Bible+ is on my to-do list; I've already started working on the format)

Features (later)
- integrated notes: Probably a plugin
- reading of paid modules: plugin
- maps plugin
- social networking: would have to be a plugin.

Nathan

Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Did you want me to package this up still for you, since your computer is having issues?
I have reinstalled my desktop and re installed a vm with the sdk, so i can package stuff (and should be able to push things in extras-devel and extras-testing though i have not yet looked at how this works in fremantle).

Right now, there will still be some issue on a system doing a fresh install because of the lack of /usr/share/sword/mods.d .

Do you think this can be changed in the Sword package (whatever the location of the empty storage template directory) ? If so, let me know where it is. If not, i may add some bits to just create a fresh one within Rapier.

Once this is done, i'll push the package in the extras-devel and see how this extras-testing things works. (I'll not have access to my sdk next week so there is no hurry).

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Nathan I notice you say no one has a device to test it yet if you want me to do some testing on my N900 I would be happy to test it and give you some feedback.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
Nathan I notice you say no one has a device to test it yet if you want me to do some testing on my N900 I would be happy to test it and give you some feedback.
We would love feedback! All we can do currently is test in the Scratchbox. Do you want me to PM you when we have a .deb built you can test? It might be a little while as we have to make sure we get all the Qt dependencies correct for building it on the BuildBots, so it can be dropped into "testing".

Nathan.

Originally Posted by pamadio View Post
I have reinstalled my desktop and re installed a vm with the sdk, so i can package stuff (and should be able to push things in extras-devel and extras-testing though i have not yet looked at how this works in fremantle).

Right now, there will still be some issue on a system doing a fresh install because of the lack of /usr/share/sword/mods.d
Sorry, I dropped the ball on this one. I'll get a update on the build bots later today/tomorrow with the "mods.d" directory.

Nathan.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Texas
I would love to be on the development team if y'all need an extra hand. Also, if y'all need an area for project management collaboration outside of the Garage. I can set y'all up on my server's project management software.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
We would love feedback! All we can do currently is test in the Scratchbox. Do you want me to PM you when we have a .deb built you can test? It might be a little while as we have to make sure we get all the Qt dependencies correct for building it on the BuildBots, so it can be dropped into "testing".

Nathan.
Yeah just let me know when you have something ready for me to test.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword