Active Topics

Notices

Hi,

I hope someone finds this useful, a big thanks to Megaltariak for his posts on another thread that allowed me to successfully get jDownloader working. I will copy some of his steps and add my own to form a concise set of instructions.

This is fantastic for anyone who uses hosting sites like Rapidshare, Megaupload, Netload etc, I can confirm that Link Grabber works perfectly with MicroB, simply fire up jDownloader, leave it running and copy the relevant links from MicroB and jDownloader will pick these up. I have managed to download 1GB content with consistent speeds of over 1MB/sec (screen-shot below), exactly the same as my laptop! Also I can confirm you can comfortably carry on with other tasks whilst downloading (screen-shot below). There are a few caveats:

1) There is a UI issue with jDownloader that prevents certain options being accessible from the settings tab, I've checked on the desktop, same issue occurs here if you reduce the window size, hence this is not a N900 specific issue or problem. I will probably raise a bug with the jDownloader team.

2) At present I've not found a way to right click under the Java SDK environment, I've not found it debilitating at present as for the basic functions there are the relevant menu options present.

Instructions

1) Download the Java Runtime for Linux(ARM) from:

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...-CDS_Developer

Select Linux(ARM) for platform and agree licence terms, then proceed to download the following tar.gz file:

"Java SE for Embedded 6 Update 21 (Build 9) ARMv7 Linux - Headful, EABI, Hard Float (VFP), Little-Endian"

2) Login to terminal as Root (Need to have rootsh installed) -
Code:
sudo gainroot
3) Install wget if you don't already have it, we will need this later on -
Code:
apt-get install wget
4) Move the tar.gz file to /opt/ -
Code:
mv <filename>.tar.gz /opt/<filename>.tar.gz
5) Extract the tar.gz to current directory -
Code:
tar -zxvf <filename>.tar.gz
6) Create symlinks so that you can use Java from anywhere -
Code:
ln -s /opt/ejre1.6.0_21/bin/* /usr/bin/
7) Exit the terminal

8) Re-start the terminal, not as root, and type the following to check for successful Java install -
Code:
java -version
Hopefully you should see version information, meaning you have successfully installed the runtime.

9) Now time to fetch jDownloader, go the website:

http://jdownloader.org/download/index

Select Linux for o/s and download the jd.sh script

10) Move the script to /opt/ to avoid issues with chmod and VFAT filesystem -
Code:
mv jd.sh /opt/jd.sh
11) Give correct execute permissions to script -
Code:
chmod +x jd.sh
12) Run the script, not as root, as root will fill up rootfs -
Code:
sh jd.sh
At this point it will commence the install, this can take some time and will open a Java GUI window for downloading files, let it finish, once complete jDownloader should start.

IMPORTANT STEPS FOR USABILITY

13) Once settled down jDownloader is quite responsive, now click into Settings -> Extensions, from here un-check everything except JD Webinterface (this will give you the option of using the web browser based jDownloader client using MicroB)

14) Under the Extensions section you should now see JD Webinterface menu item, click on this and set the options according to your preference, I didn't bother with authentication so unchecked "Need User Authentication", I left the port as default (8765)

15) Now for the tricky part, as you may have noticed the Maemo notification tab hides the top menu items, to fix this go to Settings -> User Interface, now you will notice what I was referring to earlier as a jDownloader GUI bug, you will see that there is no scroll bar on the right window meaning you can't scroll down to all the options, but what you should just be able to half see is the first option under the Performance section, very carefully un-check this box, it is very much do-able and you should be able to tell that it is unchecked.

16) Set the Max. Con. and Max Dls. both to 1 (bottom right hand corner), I think this is quite important as the default setting of 2 will cause disk i/o contention issues and will crash the N900 and fail to start downloads, I don't think this would be a problem if you were downloading to a memory card, so for internal memory ensure to do this. For me it had no bearing on download speed and like I mentioned I achieved the same speeds as my laptop.

17) Now click on the x to close jDownloader, it should close and take you back to the terminal.

18) To re-run jDownloader simply run the jd.sh script -
Code:
cd /opt 
sh jd.sh
19) When it loads you should now see that the Maemo top bar is now solid across the top, meaning the jDownloader GUI is sightly smaller, but you should now be able to access the file menu items.

20) You can now configure anything you need to like premium accounts etc.

21) I think at this stage you can test jDownloader by copying links from MicroB!!

Additional Information

1) If you want to use the jDownloader web interface (you will need to leave the main app open), drop to MicroB and type http://localhost:<port number> e.g. http://localhost:8765, from there it should be fairly straight forward.

2) Do not use the unrar extension as this is x86 and will not work, I've not tested this however.

Any problems please let me know and I can update this for other users. The N900 truly amazes me, no more need to use the laptop for downloading!!

Good Luck!
Attached Images

Last edited by Rav; 2011-02-06 at 20:16.

The Following 69 Users Say Thank You to Rav For This Useful Post:
good job, and i think its a matter of time before we see the debian version in the repos

On running sh jd.sh I get
"Could not find the main class: jd.update.Main. Program will exit."

edit: silly me downloaded the wrong java in my haste.
thanks for this!

Last edited by soredawg; 2011-02-04 at 22:49.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ saudi arabia
this is the best post ever! now i can run any java app on my n900!!!

and thats like million program written in java!!

AWESOME

For me the nightly version of JDownloader was more stable
http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=5365

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to werebug For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Malaysia
thanks for sharing !

its great to have this awesome download manager in N900

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Nice Tutorial.

You should make it clearer that the points after 8) should not be run as root. Running jd.sh as root will fill up rootfs.

I wish there was a solution to emulate right mouseclick....

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ saudi arabia
just awesome!

Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
don't know why my sunjava downloads stops around at 25mb.
Anyway thanks for the guide

The Following User Says Thank You to raaj13 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
good job, and i think its a matter of time before we see the debian version in the repos
I hope your right!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post: