Active Topics

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
(deleted, thank Mr. Rent-a-Cop chemist for that - i'm done)

Last edited by don_falcone; 2013-07-30 at 03:52.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What about browser?

What device have you got your hands on?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-05 at 23:42.

Just stumbled upon this list and wanted to say thanks, there are at least a couple of apps from this list that I wasn't aware of that I'm looking forward to checking out.

Curious if you have any recommendations for music players? I know it wasn't everyone's favorite, but I really liked Canola2, and I've been having trouble finding anything that I like nearly as much on Android

The Following User Says Thank You to dylanemcgregor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Bummer - dunno why that slipped me. I use a Cowon portable media player, but of course sometimes still have to play audio on the mobiles as well so all was already there. Updated; feel free to request more.

Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Hi don_falcone,
What's your alternative for glogarchive and Recaller?

Thanks for the list.

For now i just use "SMS Backup & Restore Pro", regarding recordings - i never recorded anything on my N900, so i'll see. Desktop widgets are often supported, but i i'm not too sure if you can always choose others sources than the mic/call.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
MoNav / modrana / Marble / Sygic etc: Sygic: GPS Navigation / OsmAnd+ * / Backpacker GPS Trails Pro / BackCountry Navigator PRO GPS / City Maps 2Go Offline Maps / Garmin Navigator / NAVIGON Europe (also other countries) / TomTom Europe (also other countries)
I used Navfree during my brief stint with Android last year. It has mixed reviews but I was happy with it. It uses OSM maps and allows you to download maps for whole specific countries. The maps do not even take too much space*), yet provide more detail than my TomTom**).

*) IIRC, the UK took something like 380 MB, but it was nearly a year ago so give or take 50%, shall we?
**) A dedicated satnav device that is, not a TomTom app.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I think the list should have the following too:

- Surespot: encrypted IMs between users
- Redphone: more private alternative to things like Viber
- Gibberbot: OTR messaging from device unlike Maemo/Harmattan devices which lack such a feature
- LBE Security Master: Control permissions, ads etc of every single application on your device. Closed-source app but the functionality it provides is extremely useful especially for those who want to track what every single app is doing/requesting on device.
- rsync backup for Android
- UCCW: Alternative to QueenBeeCon widget + has many pre-built themes on play store which can be modified to one's liking
- Juice SSH: Kinda feel it performs much better than all the other ssh apps around. Supports public keys (a must!).

Edit:

Didn't realize titanium backup pro isn't on the list too; its a must for backing up/restoring apps+data while hopping around custom ROMs...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2013-07-20 at 04:59.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
My favorite torrent app is frostwire. It has the most comprehensive amount of features and is also open source.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...stwire.android