Active Topics

Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Hey guys, as the topic says, where to from here? Had the N9 from release date, awesome phone, even with all the challenges we faced along the way, lack of apps etc, watching Wazapp grow etc. Unfortunately the phone has aged big time.

Now I'm stuck between Android or WP, definately not IOS. Spending a week using my friend's Galaxy Note 2, he uses my N9. Damn fast phone with a killer screen. And wow what a huge choice of apps, am not used to that thanx to N9. Am not sure I like Android UI though, or Windows blocks too, am not really hopeful about waiting for Jolla too, I'm afraid the history of N9 might repeat itself, don't line the 2 halves story too.

I suppose if U can't beat them, join them. At this moment am thinking of Note 2, for the big screen (no need to carry a tablet), Good battery life, reliable native Apps like Facebook etc, no need to find replacements. Important Banking App, Speed, easy to use browsers, good speakers and a super responsive Keyboad.

What do U guys suggest, am due for upgrade next month or so.

Last edited by Muzimak; 2013-06-30 at 15:14.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
due for upgrade
You make it sound like they give you something, and doing you a true favor...

Just get a sim-only plan, keep your N9, and get a Jolla when it's released. It will also save you money and frees you from the "must-get-new-mobile-precisely-every-two-years"-scheme of the telco's.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
This is how it's gonna get down. keep your n9 until september when samsung announce Galaxy note lll. If you don't like or don't have to money, get the Note ll for an even better price. You could also look at Tizen, but I think it's probably asia only.

If you only looking for big screen. thak a look at Galaxy mega. Not as High end as Note, but great big screen for a great prize.

OC there is also jolla. But I don't think that phone is for you when I'm reading your post.

GL!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-06-30 at 15:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
You make it sound like they give you something, and doing you a true favor...

Just get a sim-only plan, keep your N9, and get a Jolla when it's released. It will also save you money and frees you from the "must-get-new-mobile-precisely-every-two-years"-scheme of the telco's.
Don't blame U for not understanding, in South Africa we get 24months cellphone contracts, at the end of the term U automatically qualify for your next choice of any other phone free then carrg on with them for another term.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
Don't blame U for not understanding, in South Africa we get 24months cellphone contracts, at the end of the term U automatically qualify for your next choice of any other phone free then carrg on with them for another term.
Yes, here in the Netherlands people also still fall for that misleading scheme, thinking they get the mobile very cheap or even for free.

I've always got a one-year sim-only plan. Often it's not more expensive than 2 year plans - but they always do preselect the 2-year-option, the bastards - and by law you can change contract every month after the initial contract term ended. Most of the time you can get a better offer after the first year anyway.

I've never got a mobile from a telco. Often they are ****ed up with custom firmwares, late updates (if ever) and ugly logos. So far, I've used my mobiles for longer than two years, simply because I found no need to replace them earlier. Also, I could always pick the exact mobile I like, and not only the popular stuff offered by the telco's. The N9 was never officially released here, and none of the telco's offered it. Wasn't a problem for me though.

I don't know the situation in South Africa, but here the (only) three non-virtual telco's are an oligopoly. They are not your friend. The only times they change something to benefit the customer is because of new legislation. If one year sim only contracts are too expensive in S.A., I guess you'll need some new legislation as well.

/rant

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
Just get an N900.

Experience has shown me that N9 -->> N900 is the best upgrade ever.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ariadeno For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post

Now I'm stuck between Android or WP, definately not IOS.

What do U guys suggest, am due for upgrade next month or so.
Get a Nokia Lumia my friend, and you will be happy!

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
you can try the lumia 620 or 510 have a look at them they are better then the crowd of droids

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
and it feels like the operator takes decision on your behalf and ofcourse you got bitten by app frendzy and latest greatest temporarily shiny stuff. i bet you wont be satisfied to the least with the devices you mentioned or others suggesions. the culprit is in your damm mind man throw it out for good btw it seems you have already taken the decision so why whining here

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
you can try the lumia 620 or 510 have a look at them they are better then the crowd of droids
"better" in what way? If you care a single bit for openness or the perception that you actually own the device you paid for, then those lumias, or any Windows Phone / RT device, are far worse than the crowd of droids.