Active Topics

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
Just noticed that OpenOffice 3.2.0 for the armel architecture is finally in Debian squeeze, the same version that we already tested when it appeared in Sid. By now 3.2.1 was officially released, and Debian has some first packages in Experimental, but, ominously, not for armel.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 now also has an armel package in Sid, Debian version 1:3.2.1-3, and out of curiosity I tested it in Easy Debian. Apart from a new splashscreen everything looks pretty much the same as far as I can tell. Seems to be just a little bit slower in starting up than 3.2.0 in Squeeze, but otherwise everything I'm using in OO does work.

Two issues that I've encountered: firstly, I could install it from Sid only after commenting out Lenny and Squeeze from /etc/apt/sources.list, which I don't quite understand. Without doing that, only the squeeze version would show.

Second, I got the following errors from the openoffice.org-emailmerge component:
Code:
ERROR: There is no such extension deployed: org.openoffice.legacy.mailmerge.py
Exception details: 
(com.sun.star.lang.IllegalArgumentException) { { Message = "There is no such extension deployed: org.openoffice.legacy.mailmerge.py", Context = (com.sun.star.uno.XInterface) @6a110 }, ArgumentPosition = (short) -1 }

unopkg failed.
and then during configuration
Code:
Copying: mailmerge.py
Enabling: mailmerge.py

ERROR: python object raised an unknown exception ('No module named uno', traceback follows
<NULL>
Exception details: 
(com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException) { { Message = "python object raised an unknown exception ('No module named uno', traceback follows\X000a<NULL>", Context = (com.sun.star.uno.XInterface) @0 } }

unopkg failed.
I don't remember whether something similar did happen in the upgrade to 3.2.0.

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just want to remind you all that I can't really promote the current extras-devel version of Easy Debian to testing until we figure out why LXDE seems more unstable now.

Please continue to beta test, and if you can, experiment with the /usr/bin/debwm and /usr/bin/debian-lxde scripts to see if you can stop the weirdness...

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Just want to remind you all that I can't really promote the current extras-devel version of Easy Debian to testing until we figure out why LXDE seems more unstable now.

Please continue to beta test, and if you can, experiment with the /usr/bin/debwm and /usr/bin/debian-lxde scripts to see if you can stop the weirdness...
As far as I'm concerned, it's just a slight and only occasional indeterminism with regard to the fonts that get used in LXDE, with both equally functional. So I wouldn't even call this an instability, although it is somewhat disturbing as a matter of principle since programs should behave deterministically.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denver, CO -> Italy
I need few suggestion on how to set up a VPN connection on my N900.

I am really concerned about losing the phone and if that happen someone will have all the settings and password.
In order to avoid this I was thinking about installing a VPN software inside EasyDebian, protect easy debian with a password and protect chroot with a password.

By doing this I should be able to have all my settings inside the Debian image (which will be protected with a password) and I should be able to run the VPN application directly from chroot(with password) or from Debian.

I know, probably only a power user will be able to recover a password from the system file but I feel like a password prompt in order to open a program sometime can discourage people to play or hack a device.

Please feel free to comment and let me know what do you think.

Regards

Nico

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
That's an interesting idea, but I don't know how to do it at this point... Does anyone know of a way to set up an encrypted image that would be read/write and not significantly slower?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denver, CO -> Italy
The easy Debian image is not somehow encrypted or can be easily open(can you run the image) from a computer?

I've got no experience with the speed, but I think there's a Truecypt port to the N900 already, right?

well, here's what I did: I installed EncFS, just as described in the wiki entry for Easy Debian, then I added a user, and with that new user I encrypted his home directoy with EncFS. (it will say there are already files, so you have to force it). So now all configuration files with stored passwords are within the EncFS (when mounted) of that dedicated user.

btw: anyone tried enigmail yet?

The Following User Says Thank You to xdanx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Does anyone know of a way to set up an encrypted image that would be read/write and not significantly slower?
A while ago I described here how to set up encfs in Easy Debian and also put a summary into the wiki. Works like a charm for me!

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-06-26 at 13:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Please help.

I am trying to use icedove as my mail client (just cant rely on Modest).

I use gnubiff to constantly monitor my inboxes and provide imap idle support (avoid the animation it takes 15% CPU, just using icedove makes my machine really slow).

I use icedove to read and write emails.

I got IMAP-idle and the battery life is better then it used to be with Modest.

Open problems
1. Get aplay to work - so I can make gnubiff beep when I get an email.

I can get the music player to play (after running the XMMS2d), but I can't get aplay to play a simple wav.
(can't open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libsound_module_pcm_alsa_dsp.so
play soxio cannot open output file default!
cannot open audio device.

2. Get the LED to flash when there is an email waiting (this is less important for me, as I always have some emails waiting).

3. Get gnubiff to launch icedove when double tapped on.

4. Get icedove to launch faster (I know, this is a lost cause).

I will gladly settle for #1.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to sdpkom For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze