Active Topics

Notices

i thought the project for the homeworld port was canned?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr5919TBmEA

just seen that o.o

gav

edit: skip to about 3:30

Last edited by shaddam; 2011-04-05 at 22:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaddam For This Useful Post:
nice. I wonder if the source/binary is available.

I'm still working on it.. some work in progress gles code has been committed to the homeworld sdl subversion repo, but i haven't committed any control code yet, so it's not very playable atm. i'll see about getting binaries in one of the maemo extra repos when it's done.
apparently so in time =]

gav

Last edited by shaddam; 2011-04-05 at 22:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to shaddam For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
I am willing to learn, please tell me how i can help with this project!

So.. more than one person has suggested I come and talk over here on the video I posted.

Really, all I've done so far is write some temporary wrapper code for all the glBegin/glEnd stuff, and remove/replace stuff that was never going to work well (eg. glDrawPixels).

At the moment, I'm playing with trying to improve frame rate.. I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that the GL_IMG_vertex_program extensions is utterly broken in GLES 1.1 on the N900.. which is a shame, as I'd have liked to have used vertex programs for some colouring that's currently being done in software. Mesh animation lerping could have been done with a vertex program too..

I think the best I can do to improve GLES performance is convert as much 3d stuff to use VBOs as possible, and look at GL_OES_draw_texture for 2d stuff (which is really slow atm).

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pseudonym404 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Welcome pseudonym404!

I'm glad you came here and outlined how's the project looking right now. The guy sending you a message today on YouTube was me, by the way ;-)

I want to wish you luck with the project and if you'll need any help with testing, drop me a message. As a fan of the series, I really appreciate your work and it only shows how capable of a device the N900 really is.

As for the source code - it has been released years ago, so there isn't any problem with porting the game at all in this area.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
The tube video looked really promising. Looking forward of your work.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums