Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The whole "Bluetooth keyboard layouts with SailfishOS"-topic should be investigated by clever users.

See this thread for example:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...yboard-layout/

I have a (still working) Nokia SU-8W BT keyboard. german layout. Nokia used a very exotic layout that relies on an additional Fn-key to produce even basic symbols (like numbers or @).

Additionally, I'd like to be able to map special characters of foreign languages I currently learn to certain AltGr-combinations.

I wouldn't know how to configure that with SailfishOS. SailfishOS offers me a choice of standard layouts for BT keyboards, but they don't fit.

If we find such a way to feely re-map BT keyboards, using English QWERTY for German, for example, might not be such an issue. You could re-map Z/Y, put öäüß to AltGr-oaus, respectively, and leave the rest unchanged. I would feel comfortable with such a solution.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
German SU-8W works fine with SFOS - including all ä, ö, ü. Only ß is a Problem, as far as I remember (I have to check tonight).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoOppen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
look at the bright side.
Using a non native Kbd a day, keeps Alzheimer away
Sure

Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
Where are which keys? http://www.daskeyboard.com/images/31...BmxqRw4yWw.jpg
Doesn't matter . Once you have enough keys and know the keymap you're using, the key caps themselves (should) become irrelevant, anyway.

Which keys will be affected?
The missing keys (mostly) affect the mapping of certain "additional" letters (from the English alphabet's standpoint) depending on the language. The BT keyboard in the IGG images has 10-10-9 (1st-2nd-3rd row) character keys, where some languages have 12-12-11 character keys. For writing fluently (say e.g. German, Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish... others, too) you'd need maybe 11-11-9 character keys, at least.

You could use some logical key combos: Ü: Alt-U, Ö: Alt-O, Ä: Alt-A... (or maybe Fn instead of Alt or both, take your pick) but what to do with Å, then? In Finnish Å isn't really used, except Finnish & Swedish share the same layout and Å is pretty relevant in Swedish. So it's not so obvious in all cases and I don't think other languages are that much easier with the given number of keys on the BT keyboard.

TL;DR: As I have no idea how some "special" characters are mapped with the IGG BT keyboard in SFOS, I was wondering if the keyboard still remains usable in other languages for mails/note taking/etc. ATM, my rough guess is "not very" (but this is not to blame chenlianghen or the Youyota team, for that matter). FWIW, in terminal/SSH/(light) coding use I'm sure the US-QWERTY keymap in question will do just fine.

Last edited by tmi; 2017-07-07 at 13:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
For me it would be more interesting if an Alt-Tab will work for switching between applications (like on desktop and android).

But this is more an os problem.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Yes revive N950/Lauta is my plan this year.

The cost of making a decent keyboard phone is so high and I'm doing it step by step:

- Sliding part is the most difficult and expensive part of the hardware. A good moulding costs very very high. But I can re-use the Moto Mods sliding part and make minor modification to the toolings I can greatly reduce the cost.

- Hopefully with this tablet's collaboration with Jolla I will have a better understanding regarding time and cost for OS adaptation.

- The next most difficult bit is Qualcomm SoC solution, they are soooo expensive. I'm looking for a more cost-effective solution to that at the moment. I'm not targeting at MSM8997 or those flagship chipsets - they add unnecessary cost to the customer and it's a waste of CPU power. I'm looking more towards mid-tier like 625/626 which gives a better balance between power consumption and performance. But even though it's still very expensive to get a decent solution.

Once the Keyboard Mod starts shipping and the tablet starts manufacturing I will look more into the cost, it's still very challenge but I'm confident. My aim is to have a 64GB+4GB Qualcomm 625 solution QWERTY slider with a removable battery, we will see how it goes in a few weeks.
Who sent you on Earth? Do you come from a civilization in a distant solar system to save primitive humans from their dark fate, or have you been sent by the gods to show the path of redemption to us, mere mortals? In eons, the children of men will remember three people whose action have impacted the universe: Stephen Elop, Elon Musk, and Chenliangchen.

If you manage to revive the Lauta concept, you can sign me in for two devices already.

Do you plan on having some kind of official Jolla partnership (and therefore Alien Dalvik), or would it be a community-ported device?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
For me it would be more interesting if an Alt-Tab will work for switching between applications (like on desktop and android).

That works on TOHKBD so it should work with this keyboard too.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France

There is a working Alt+Tab feature with the tohkbd from Dirkvl, software being developped by Kimmoli I think. I have not used my Jolla (not Jolla C) in a long time so I am not sure whether it is still maintained, but I think the project and software were open source, so it would be great if the integration of the Youyota keyboard could take advantage of it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
That works on TOHKBD so it should work with this keyboard too.
this is the feature of tohkbd daemon, so you need to write own daemon for other kinds of keyboards

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
As a great fan of USB type-C for many years now I had no idea I'd still be dependent on micro-USB in the years ahead (2017, 2018, 2019).

Thanks, YouYota/ExperiaX!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
this is the feature of tohkbd daemon, so you need to write own daemon for other kinds of keyboards
Ugh, annoying. Jolla could easily build something like this into the OS - if you guys want it, ask for it and they might include it in the next release!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os