Notices

Anybody knows if this runs on maemo/meego? GPL code.

http://www.frogatto.com/

What is this?

Frogatto is a “platformer” or “jump-and-run” videogame. Like many older arcade/nintendo/sega titles, the world is viewed as a cross-section seen from the side, and your character walks and jumps between solid platforms, whilst avoiding being hurt by monsters. We’re not a clone of any specific game; although just by being a platformer, it’s impossible not to have something in common with games like mario or sonic. So we are trying to innovate a bit.

Frogatto is also the protagonist’s name. It’s eponymous.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
With some porting it should work just nice. Thanks for the finding.

But the problem could be the licensing.

I'm not sure. Perhaps you could ask if they would port it to the N900 so you're able to buy this nice game?

Or we port only the game and the users should itself copy the content from the windows platform to their N900.

I’m a programmer. What are your dependencies?
You’ll need OpenGL, GLEW, SDL (plus SDL_ttf, SDL_mixer, and SDL_image), and Boost (specifically regex and system). LibPNG is needed for making a ‘precompiled’ set of images to use on computers (it saves video-ram and makes the game run faster).
OpenGL....

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by giannoug View Post
OpenGL....
What is the deal with OpenGL?

I'm pretty sure that programs using openGL have been ported to the n900, but at the same time I've seen a number of projects face hurdles and problems because of open GL issues.

I'm interested as it is something I want to get into myself at some point...

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
With some porting it should work just nice. Thanks for the finding.

But the problem could be the licensing.

I'm not sure. Perhaps you could ask if they would port it to the N900 so you're able to buy this nice game?

Or we port only the game and the users should itself copy the content from the windows platform to their N900.
I have a working port nearly ready and packaged (power management issues like going to sleep when the screen is locked are still pending). Distribution of the game data files in a package in Extras/non-free would require the developers' permission.

Some of the more generic patches (800x480 support and configurable keys) are already applied upstream.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Ok, thanks to the Frogatto developers! We are allowed to carry the Frogatto port in Extras / non-free. For the impatient, I've uploaded the current development snapshot to extras-devel.

The frogatto package contains the desktop file, start scripts and icon and depends on the frogatto-data and frogatto-engine packages. frogatto-engine contains the GPLv3-licensed game engine, so this package is in extras-devel / free.

I'm told there will be a 1.0.2 point release soon, so that'll probably be the first version to go into extras-testing. IMHO the biggest issue of the Maemo port right now is ongoing CPU usage when the screen is locked: the music is paused, but SDL_mixer happily continues to play silence instead of really shutting down.

Last edited by pH5; 2010-08-29 at 16:58.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Will it be possible to play this with PS3 sixaxis?

Originally Posted by rajil.s View Post
Will it be possible to play this with PS3 sixaxis?
I think Frogatto does have basic joystick support. Could you try starting it from the terminal with the --joystick option:
Code:
~ $ /usr/games/frogatto --compiled --fullscreen --joystick
I don't have any PS3 controller, so I can't test this myself.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Maemo5 only? If so please state so when saying "Maemo".
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Yes, can confirm that it works great with PS3 controller. I saw it has a lot of dependencies. Is there any way to find out which of those are from extras-devel? In case there is an issue it will be easy to uninstall them.

The Following User Says Thank You to rajil.s For This Useful Post: