Originally Posted by ravelo View Post
So this type of screen is actually deprecated anyway.
When there is no demand then not manufactured, the same applies today to smaller displays also...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
When there is no demand then not manufactured, the same applies today to smaller displays also...
And qwerty keyboards

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
And qwerty keyboards
True but little different... Chen wanted hardware keyboard... - So here we are... Waiting our new phone and chatting about displays... While waiting... We can also take pictures about harvesting, while waiting Pro1?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Some people like BMW i8's, while others love Tesla Model S's. And well, there are still people who loves Lada's. Tastes and colors cannot be argued, everyone loves their own things.

Maemo.org has a nice community and lets keep it that way.
<3
This made me laugh sorry
I have a Lada and a Tesla

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Breeze5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
WTF did I just receive???
That is indeed concerning, even though I already placed my order...

Speaking of which, the email I received was less drama-inducing:

Latest updates from manufacturing of the Pro1​

<Name>,

We want to thank you for making payment for your Pro1 device, we are very excited to be approaching the next phase of this journey.

We wanted to share a sneak peak of the packaging that your Pro1 will be shipped in.

Adrian and Chen
Founders, F(x)tec

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland

As a pre-order customer, take advantage of the pre-launch pricing before prices increase ahead of launch and shipping next month.
To secure your Pro1, make your payment in the next 7 days by logging into your your F(x)tec order account.

Since when they were about to sell it at higher price? I don't recall that $649 | £649 | €649 was just _preorder_ price. This is getting more and more frustrating every day. This is not an auction and such aggressive marketing is not acceptable. And what the final price would be then? $1000? Then I'd wait one more year and buy used on Ebay for $500.

Chen, please. This is not how you make more buyers for your product. The demand for niche product is low and it's VERY silly to make it even less with unexpected price changes, extra charges and other bull*it.

Blah blah, first we have deficite and high demands, now they are sooo high we'll raise the price... What's next? You have to win a fight to get it? Quit it, makes me sick.
Hmm, you do realize that companies are basically free to price they products the way they want. It is actually quite common to have preorder prices to differ from that of stock market price.

At least to me, there is nothing wrong about that. Also, it is quite common as well to advertise for customers that have been interested in product but not have made the purchase. Remember, you have not actually bought anything from them yet, so they owe you nothing. If they decide to raise the price up they can free do so.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
BREXIT preparations

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland

As a pre-order customer, take advantage of the pre-launch pricing before prices increase ahead of launch and shipping next month.
To secure your Pro1, make your payment in the next 7 days by logging into your your F(x)tec order account.

[...]
WTF did you think it would be about? Most companies do this preorder thing differently from the beginning; often you make the payment when you place your preorder. Companies usually have this preorder campaign for three reasons:
1. Get a rough estimation about how many would be interested of the product
2. Make some promotion for the product within the preorder
3. Gather some funds to finish the product. This last thing is what Fxtec didn't do at the beginning, but they are doing it now.

The price is always lower when you preorder something, because people woudn't preorder things if it wasn't. You have stated many times here, that you will wait for actual product to exist. Go on, do that if you like. If you don't want to preorder the product, don't expect preorder prices. It's you being unfair, not Fxtec.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
not a big surprise that fanbois would always be the free-of-charge lawyers no matter what company does
We can also be free-of-charge psychologists, if you need one...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
if they decide to change any specs, they are free to do so. if they decide to deliver you piece of soap instead of phone, they are free to do so... WRONG! one shouldn't give promises if he's unsure of being capable to keep them. or if he had no wish to keep those promises in the first place. that's not Samsung nor Apple. company is unknown and company should gain trust instead of trying to cheat or lie to customer.

and just in case, here's some obvious stuff:

Pros of being first one to pay and receive:
1. being the first one

Pros of wait a few months before buying:
1. price lower by ~30% or more.
2. not getting possible lame first batch or unfinished software.
3. being 100% sure someone received the actual product and it's not a scam.
4. getting to know real user reviews on real product, not prototype.
5. possibly get news on next product, perhaps 4,6-5" qwerty slider and change mind.
6. buy used on ebay for half price or even cheaper.

so with sober view, the actual pre-order audience is just fanbois or marketing victims. there's no much profit of pre-ordering. the discount might be the one, but there was no discount announced at the beginning and now, when it's almost shipping and no point of making preorder more profitable, they decide to give preorder customers discount by making final price higher - totally lame marketing.

for me it's frustrating because my N900 is dead and currently I have to wait with some monochrome dialer. but looks like I'll just buy some generic 4,6-5" smartphone in the meanwhile (for 1/5 of Pro1 possbile price) and give Pro1 a more reasonable waiting time.

anyway, even preorder price is pretty high, add shipping and you'll get $700, which IMO is max price for ANY phone, even perfect one (and we still unsure if Pro1 is perfect) and it makes absolutely no sense to pay more than $700 just for a phone (unless you are Apple/Samsung fanboi or a marketing victim ready to blast some $1000-$1200 for a toy). So I guess, no matter what the final price would be, it's unacceptable for me.

the fun fact is, after waited ~2 years for Keyboard mod, 1 year for Pro1, it's not a big trouble to wait 1 more year for a fair price. at least if they not going to quit production after 2-3 batches. I got my N900 for 9 years and not in a hurry.

that's why it's frustrating, totally wrong and makes absolutely no sense.

it's not obvious that preorder price is ALWAYS lower. I'm not a mind-reader and if I wasn't told that preorder price is final price, that is considered as a lie. if you steal something and nobody caught you, it's still a crime.

at the beginning I was unsure about buying it pre-ordered or later, but as things going by, the wish of buying it at once is destroyed by bad marketing in addition to obvious reasons not to be first one.

not a big surprise that fanbois would always be the free-of-charge lawyers no matter what company does
Hmm, I really can't quite grasp your point of view and for me it seems a bit misplaced.

I have participated to way too many preorders or fundraisers or call it whatever, where goal is to but out a some kind of product and collect money before product actually exists. Many have succeeded and sadly many have failed. So far F(x)tech haven't to my mind done any cheating or lying. Their practices seem accordance with projects like these in general. Of course, we can only know that when we actually have the product in our hands. Haven't seen Dave999's scam topics for this so maybe we are in a safe side here

In general maybe you should sit and calm down, empty a cold beer (or hot cocoa if you are minor) and take a long time to do that. During that time you could think whether these kind of projects are for you after all. The pros and cons list you provided seems to me that you have missed the point of ordering this kind of product, from a company like F(x)tech, at this kind of phase of the products life cycle.

There is nothing bad wanting to buy products that already are at the stores, but judging emerging companies with preorder products with same criteria as Samsung and Apple is quite unfair. You have totally different deal going on here than marching to you local electronics store and buying phone from there. And it is also unfair and rude to call them liars when they haven't done anything like that. At least not yet.

Hopefully you find a good phone, being Pro1 or some other! It is not easy to replace n900 and you had some good points up there whether they were correct with this product or not.

P.S. I am totally not a fan boy of F(x)tech or marketing victim (did they actually have any marketing?). I actually only took any interest in this project when happened to see videos of the device in the web.

Only ordered and paid to support people and companies that have the ball to go against the mainstream.

Last edited by Boxeri; 2019-08-18 at 14:58.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit