Hi,

I connected my phone several times with my 50 INCH Sony LCD. I get the video output on TV but when I switch on the videos recorded by my phone camera, there is no display and only sound comes.

Now I have checked the cables and I am 100 % sure the connection is correct since I get the menu displayed but when I play the videos, no display.

I think there might be some codec problem but not sure, any advice anyone, really appreciate it.

Thanks

I can verify this. I can watch movies I put on the phone but not those I record with the phone.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lima-Peru
dont go for the highest resolution try fine 4:3

I just discovered this same problem. I have a DVD encoded with mp4 at 720, and it doesn't display on the TV-out, only plays sound. It does play on the N900 screen. Also, none of the camera-recorded videos play on the TV out either,as mentioned above. I do have a few (very) smaller-res Divx vids that do play on the TV, though.

Why should higher-resolution videos fail to play through TV out? What's the point of supporting high-res if it doesnt play on the TV?!?! And even the internal-codec camera videos,too? WTF?!?!

I can't remember if I had this problem before, I dont think I did but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I've messed with the TV out function.

Other TV-out funtions work ok, though. The destop shows up, and video games like MAME, Mupen, etc. show fine.

Suggestions?

Shinig, what do you mean by "don't go for the highest resolutiuon, try fine 4:3", anyway? Do you mean encoding resolutions? Or some internal, N900 video-out setting?

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Canada
I have the same issue as well.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Yup, I've got the same thing here. From reading the maemo.org archives, it appears that video-out at the highest resolutions may have worked when the device first came out, but for some reason was limited in one of the later Maemo updates. My guess would be this is a work-around for some hardware or software issue they couldn't quite address; after all, smashing HD video down into NTSC requires a bit of effort to do well (or at least a lot of cropping). But who knows...

Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
What's the point of supporting high-res if it doesnt play on the TV?!?! And even the internal-codec camera videos,too? WTF?!?!
Well, if you really want to see the high-res video in all its high-res glory, you need to get it off the n900 in a different way. If your TV supports USB input, the n900 works fine as an external drive (this is how I usually do it); otherwise, you'd need to download the video to an HDMI player of one sort or another. The output of the n900 TV-out is, of course, old-fashioned composite NTSC, so it'll never do justice to the actual quality of the video on the phone...

Shinig, what do you mean by "don't go for the highest resolutiuon, try fine 4:3", anyway? Do you mean encoding resolutions? Or some internal, N900 video-out setting?
You can control the resolution when you record video. The third icon on the bottom row will let you do this. You can choose between "high", "fine", and "low"; "fine" and "low" videos both still display through the composite tv-out.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
From reading the maemo.org archives, it appears that video-out at the highest resolutions may have worked when the device first came out, but for some reason was limited in one of the later Maemo updates.
Wow, that royally sucks. I'm positive now I sent some hi-res video to TV out, but it was several months ago. I'm getting ready to travel so I'm prepping some video for the trip.

I was really hoping for some super hi-res mp4 video both on the N900 and for TV out after the plane ride - major bummer that I'll have to settle for old-fashioned XviD (that's if they'll even play!).

As is is, I was stunned when I couldn't even get x264 video to stream in synch at 480, and had to settle for mp4.

This is really is a big change, how did we all miss this? Has anyone been discussing this and I just missed it?

Last edited by oldpmaguy; 2011-01-18 at 02:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to oldpmaguy For This Useful Post:
I was really hoping for some super hi-res mp4 video both on the N900 and for TV out after the plane ride - major bummer that I'll have to settle for old-fashioned XviD (that's if they'll even play!).

As is is, I was stunned when I couldn't even get x264 video to stream in synch at 480, and had to settle for mp4.
Honestly, are you sure you purchased the right device? This is a phone, man, not a TV set-top box. I'm amazed at all the gadgets they've managed to squeeze into the thing, but I don't expect it to do everything.

In any case, NTSC is obsolete. Find a TV (or a PC or whatever) with a USB port, connect your n900 to that, and you'll be able to see anything at its true resolution (even videos that the n900 graphics card can't itself handle).

This is really is a big change, how did we all miss this? Has anyone been discussing this and I just missed it?
I've only had my my n900 for a month, so it isn't a big change for me. But yeah, it looks like there was plenty of discussion about this last year. Looks like it happened with the PR1.2 update. Here's one of the threads:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=tv-out

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Honestly, are you sure you purchased the right device?
I love how regularly this is the opening line to replies around here. %^P

Oh ye of little faith! http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=tv-out

By the way, please remember, "it's not a phone, it's a pocket computer with cellular functionality".... ;-]

Last edited by oldpmaguy; 2011-01-18 at 05:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to oldpmaguy For This Useful Post:
Oh ye of little faith! http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=tv-out
Very cool! I'd love to hear if the author of this ever discovered why Nokia dropped support for wide-screen video over NTSC...

(But remember, the n900 still has to reduce the resolution of HD video to fit into NTSC. If you are, as you say, using it to display 720p video, you're just wasting space and CPU; the vertical resolution of the n900's screen is 480 pixels, and NTSC's limit is (roughly) 525. You're never seeing the full resolution of the video.)

By the way, please remember, "it's not a phone, it's a pocket computer with cellular functionality".... ;-]
Indeed, I do use the thing much more as a pocket computer than as a phone. And yes, it is an amazing little device.