Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Hi,

This thread is to ease up the choice of desktop ED apps. Which app suits N900. When should be any chosen for N900. What are cons/pros for you. This should focus on apps which aren't available on Maemo natively anyway. If you think that a Debian app would work much better than any native, write why.

Example categories:

Word processor (Abiword, LO Writer)
Spreadsheet stuff (Gnumeric, KSpread, LO Calc)

sixwheeledbeast & other mods. You're permitted to add more entries to the next post when they get posted.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
reserved for mod additions

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Why thread, instead of editing wiki? Anyway, it may be good idea - thread results could get wikidi'zed, later.
---

Chromium (chromium-browser from up to squeeze - wheezy version doesn't work on ARM at all) - with correct keybindings and settings, it works like native browser.

Using additions like scollbars-anywhere and no-scrollbars, we can mimic microB behavior of drag&drop scrolling, while having 100% of screen for web page content. Pages optimized for 1024x768 - especially, the ones that doesn't work on microB, due to far-left or far-right content being hidden and unreachable by scrolling - could get 100% usable, by scaling content to 86% (it makes 1024x* content to fit ideally into 800x*).

MicroB is damn good browser even today, but in rare cases where it fails, Chromium is all you need. And it works very fast (if using directory or partition based ED, as opposed to image-based one).

Cons:
To properly use fullscreen mode, one need start it via xephyr (lxde or other desktop environment). When run from Maemo's Ed without xephyr, context menu (right click) doesn't work (technically, it shows up *under* active layer). Chromium isn't only program affected by this - same apply to iceweasel, for example. LibreOffice is unaffected. No such problems under Xephyr.
---

GIMP - for obvious reasons.
---

UFRaw - it allows to fully manipulate RAW photos took using cssu'ish camera-ui or fCam&friends, without need for desktop. Further post-processing may be done with Gimp.
---

LibreOffice - with correct UI size setting, it acts and looks like native Maemo application. Blazing fast, zero slowdowns.
---

CUPS server - allows to connect suitable printers to N900, locally (via USB Hostmode) and print documents from LibreOffice/Photos after UFRaw/GIMP processing, without any desktop intervention. Awesome stuff.
---

Audacity - for sound manipulation, works pret6ty fast (unless you decide to edit gigabyte-sized files on fly, that make them go into swap...)

/Estel

// Edit

Probably, one would be able to find some lightweight program for video editing, which we utterly lack under Maemo.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-06-30 at 20:19.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
GIMP - for obvious reasons.
One man's obvious is another man's mystery GIMP is such a monster that I hardly ever use on the desktop and can't imagine myself using it on a tiny screen of my N900

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
...and for sure it doesn't comply with thread's title "lightweight" statement. Same apply to most of debian, though, nowadays
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Why thread, instead of editing wiki?
So that other ppl can add something

LibreOffice - with correct UI size setting, it acts and looks like native Maemo application. Blazing fast, zero slowdowns.
And why not gnumeric/kspread? Any pros/cons in comparision?

The coolest program I'm running in easyDebian is the Lazarus Gui.

Now I can develop freepascal with a visual gui on the device.

(I'm running wheezy on a ext2/3 filesystem, on a 32GB card.)

You can design and compile directly on the device.
Or you can create a project on a PC with Linux, Windows or Mac and recompile the projet on the device. Then you can adapt the visual elements directly on the device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerdich For This Useful Post:
Posts: 202 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ France 55
moc: music player

lynx: web browser

The Following User Says Thank You to turbovomit For This Useful Post:
Hmmm maybe the most experienced ED users could post the best performance settings/tweaks? There are probably a few tips and tricks which could help not skilled useres with ED

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
subdownloader works great and AFAIK maemo doesn't have anything similar that really works.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post: