Active Topics

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
It's impossible to have a fully open OS and to be a manufacturer at the same time and to be something on the market. Sooner or later someone will just take that and put it on some cheeper HW and that's the end.
Manufacturer has to work on hardware, providing tools to build OSes for it (i.e. either specs/open drivers, or binary drivers if specs are closed). Coupling of OS and hardware manufacturing into one inseparable mix is the worst thing in the mobile industry.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Manufacturer has to work on hardware, providing tools to build OSes for it (i.e. either specs/open drivers, or binary drivers if specs are closed). Coupling of OS and hardware manufacturing into one inseparable mix is the worst thing in the mobile industry.
apply seems to have quite a hard time with it, making all the profit and what not.

It all depends, there is bad and good points about it. If you do it right you'll have much me benefits than drawbacks

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
IMO, wrong. iOS will forever stay on iToy. WP is like yeti, supposedly it exist but nobody has seen one yet. BB is on deathbed also. And all we have is android. Android on motorola, LG, Samsung, HTC, Huawei, ZTE, Pantech, SONY, Alcatel, Sharp, Panasonic, Kyocera.................And usage experince is almost the same on any of them. Apart from homescreen and some other minor cosmetic difference everything else is the same. A long time ago there was a huge difference between using NOKIA, Siemens, Ericsson, Motorola.......... Devices were far more simpler but yet, the difference between them was far greter than it is today.

OS is basically the only thing that can make a difference. HW is pretty much the same because none of them actually makes all components in order to create something really different. They all buy components that are available on market. And if you don't control the OS than you are just OEM, nothing more. And back to the begining then. In theory I can choose between 10 different superuberturbocool state of the art devices. In reality I'm stuck with one and only thing in 10 different boxes.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
It's impossible to have a fully open OS and to be a manufacturer at the same time and to be something on the market. Sooner or later someone will just take that and put it on some cheeper HW and that's the end.
Sure, closed drivers are what's stopping Chinese manufacturers to do just that....Oh, wait..

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
BB is on deathbed also.
Any worse than Nokia?
I hope not, if only for the potential that QNX will bring to an increase in Qt development.
The general public will never get a true picture from Nokia, regarding the success of the N9 in termsof numbers sold.
I would put money on the fact that the team at Jolla know, and the decision to continue development of a MeeGo/Mer based device, is based in part, on expected sales, driven by the knowledge of just how successful the N9 was (even from the limited markets in which it was sold) and given the great reviews it received on release.

BTW, I'd like to point out that there have been cheap Asian Maemo-like devices, eg from SmartDevices or Optima. Guess what, the world didn't end. Some of them even gave some support to Mer.

And if you don't control the OS than you are just OEM, nothing more
So, what's bad about it? Let them compete on better hardware, like it happens on the desktop. Nvidia competes on GPUs. Do they need to make OSes for that? Stupid idea. All they need is to make high quality hardware and to publish drivers for all potential users of their hw (i.e. OSes). Mobile scene is sick in comparison. Rarely you have a GPU or any other component with drivers for all OSes. In most cases because of this coupling all you get are drivers for 1 OS. That's why porting to all these devices is a horribly hard effort. This coupling needs to be broken, so OS creators could start competing on merit of their OS, and not on the choice "where it can run". Hardware vendors should compete on the quality and functionality of their hardware.

In most cases because of this coupling all you get are drivers for 1 OS.
Sometimes even less than that...

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
https://twitter.com/JollaMobile/stat...30680674889728

Great news: Jolla has just signed its first sales deal. What a start for a new exciting week - follow the news today! ‪#meego‬ ‪#jolla

Sales deal on what? They didn't even announce any products. I'm not really getting these kind of news.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla