Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
Oh I see. So everyone not 100% fluent in English should leave now? Or do you only want native-born English speaker? Please clarify your xenophobia.

BTW, I strongly suspect that Quim (and many other people here) speak many other languages in addition to English. How about you? Ever seen the outside of your own backyard?
Especially on this forum it should be obvious - if there's a group of educated people and amongst that group are some that only know one language the single language people are usually Americans.
And having spent time in England I would not call my language "English".

Of course you have to remember that my backyard is pretty big.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
Of course is not about speaking English perfectly. It is just my impression was he did not express his visions and ideas about the project clearly and convincingly. Or maybe he could but he is restricted by the policies within Nokia so he can't bee too specific.
For what's it worth, I understood Quim perfectly. I felt that he did well answering most of the questions thrown to him -- Quim was straight and quite honest.

While most big companies would rather leave communication to the public via their marketing folks, we see the Nokia Internet Tablet team very open and visible in blogs and forums. I suggest we should be grateful and be more welcoming than be spiteful of something completely unrelated.

If there are things you need clarified, why not start a thread or ask it over at the maemo-developers maling list.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Thanks to everyone who tuned in and watched the recorded show. iamthewalrus - You're going to get a lot of heat because your comment exudes nationalistic elitism which surely will not be taken well. However - without the WHOLE GLOBE working together in so many languages, technology would not be nearly what it is today.

Ever listen to Linus Torvalds speak? He has a heavy Finnish accent too. Does that discount his importance?

The Following User Says Thank You to thoughtfix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
p.s. who else would you like to have as guests?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
Anybody you can get! The show was great, and I'd love to see more.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
Roope Rainisto! (ragnar)

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Perhaps I can just try to answer/help/contribute by being in the forums/bugzilla/blogs, I'm not really in any official position in the organization to speak on behalf of other people. (I'm a member of the Maemo UI team, for those not aware of that yet...)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ha! I knew I could pry you out!

hey, hope to see you guys when I'm back in Helsinki March 1 through 7.

Hey, I totally unnderstand your anger towards iamthewalrus guys. It was unfortunately a clumsy way to say what he said. I liked the show and thought Quim was a very charming fellow. I agree he did a great job speaking English which apparently is not his native language. I may be wrong, but at this moment I think some anger towards America in general is being expressed. I'm not saying that's unjustified since our current President has done just about everything he could to trash our National image over the last seven years. So, am I wrong? I know this may sound silly, but how about forgiving us Americans a bit. We have been idiotic bullies for quite a while now.
So thanks for the show Thoughtfix. We look forward to the next one.

Neil

Edit BTW I just loved your cat Thoughtfix. It reminded me of my last cat the way it was getting up on your desk and wanting your attention.

Last edited by sungrove; 2008-02-14 at 01:59. Reason: add a cat comment

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
I may be wrong, but at this moment I think some anger towards America in general is being expressed. I'm not saying that's unjustified since our current President has done just about everything he could to trash our National image over the last seven years. So, am I wrong? I know this may sound silly, but how about forgiving us Americans a bit. We have been idiotic bullies for quite a while now.
No, the anger is entirely directed at an incredibly ignorant point of view and has nothing to do with politics.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: