Notices

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
justadude,

You mean it takes time for Billboard info to appear at a boot-up right?

It's based in python which takes time to load up at a boot-up so it can take 1-3mins after boot-up for the info to appear...

No, the meecast weather icon just disappears. After reboot I know it takes time for billboard to appear and it does just fine. I'm just trying to figure out why the meecast icon disappears after a while. I always have to manually refresh the icon in the standby screen through meecast. Never had this issue until I installed billboard. Thanks for the response

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by justadude View Post
No, the meecast weather icon just disappears. After reboot I know it takes time for billboard to appear and it does just fine. I'm just trying to figure out why the meecast icon disappears after a while. I always have to manually refresh the icon in the standby screen through meecast. Never had this issue until I installed billboard. Thanks for the response
No probs

AFAIK the meecast icon disappears due to the update cycle...The next time it appears you may want to wait 1-3mins for it to appear back? It happens to me too once or twice a day and it appears automatically after that..

Ok. I'll wait to see what happens. I've been keeping a sharp eye on my screen lately so I never gave it a chance. Thanks again

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by justadude View Post
Similar thing happens to me as well. I found a way to get all the info on the screen including the meecast data. I haven't altered the original clock in any way though. Except about twice a day the meecast icon disappears from the screen at random.
it takes a while for Billboard to get started at bootup (it's in the "apps" category of the bootup process, so more important things get started up first in the background (i.e. the camera app and the browser IIRC) so that they launch instantly when you click on their icon. Billboard doesn't try to be "more important" than your camera app or browser (or even phone app), and I haven't checked if it's even possible to "jump the line" in the boot process without any dirty hacks.

The thing why it disappears completely is because on shutdown, Billboard is a good citizen and removes itself as operator logo (otherwise if you turn on your device later, you will have the Billboard information from last time you powered off your device until it gets started by the boot process and has the chance to update the operator logo).

As for the MeeCast logo disappearing, this is a MeeCast-specific problem.

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
It's based in python which takes time to load up at a boot-up so it can take 1-3mins after boot-up for the info to appear...
It's actually written in C++, not Python The reason why it takes so long is because it only gets started so late in the boot process after the built-in applications have started (have a look at the "ps ax" or "top" output right after bootup, and you'll see that there's a lot happening). billboardd itself (the daemon running in the background and updating the operator logo) usually starts up in under one second.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Munich/ Germany
Are there any issues between BILLBOARD and N9 Quick Tweak ?

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
No probs

AFAIK the meecast icon disappears due to the update cycle...The next time it appears you may want to wait 1-3mins for it to appear back? It happens to me too once or twice a day and it appears automatically after that..
It went away for about an hour, then refreshed itself back onto the screen. Since then, I haven't seen it disappear. It will act the same way if I do a manual update through Meecast or reboot, but then will revert back to its old self in the same fashion, and only do it once. A minor inconvenience, so I will keep this app afterall Thanks for the input!

@THP,

I brought this up back in the day, so I figured I would see if nowadays you might be up to the task concerning the feature request I made:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...standby+screen

Thread link is for specifics as I know it's been some time delay. BIG donation if you can make it happen.

Hello.

First I'd like to say thanks for supporting MeeGo with this great app. It's very handy.

The one feature I would like to see added is the option to add times from different places around the world. This is very handy for someone doing business internationally. Nokia provided the "World Clock" app, but it's a standalone that can't display anything on the sleep or feed screens.

It could just be a simple thing, like this for example...

Paris
9:58PM

Tokyo
5:58AM

...and so on. Would be a nice addition to the app, if you can add it. If not, it's still a great app that I use every day. Thanks!

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Arf the Lab View Post
It could just be a simple thing, like this for example...

Paris
9:58PM

Tokyo
5:58AM
You can do this already now by creating a shell script that does, e.g.:

Code:
echo -n "Time in Vienna: "
TZ=Europe/Vienna date +"%F %H:%M"
echo -n "Time in Helsinki: "
TZ=Europe/Helsinki date +"%F %H:%M"
echo -n "Time in London: "
TZ=Europe/London date +"%F %H:%M"
Shell scripts can be integrated into Billboard with the {script:/path/to/your/script.sh} command.

A list of all timezones is available on Wikipedia.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post: