Active Topics

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by ade View Post
Just gave it a go with the new toolchain. This time I could set qemu-arm as CPU transparency method. However, the installation of the c-library fails this time (other files to select like devkits do install correctly).
The message I get is:
Error. Failed to install C-library to target: FREMANTLE_THUMB (100%)

Should I simply ignore this error because I will have to install updated libs as a next step?
Yep, just ignore C-lib error.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
So how is the progress with converting more things to thumb?

So far my N900 has just been going awesome, no error's and thanks to OC & SR battery life is also much better then before thumb, swap is still lower by more then 20MB.
Well, it is summer time . Black see is nearby, you know :P

Anyway, right now I am REing the virtual keyboard, hoping that when all of the needed sources are available, some GTK guru will implement proper portrait support. And I am waiting for the new CSSU-T release, so the new packages there to be included in CSSU-thumb.

On the other hand 1-2 weeks ago I was a little frustrated from the state of some "things" in CSSU and so far I still haven't decided whether to continue my contribution to a project which turned out to be some kind of "bugfixing only". It does not make sense for me to continue wasting time on -thumb if it won't be available for the majority of the n900 users, but only for a couple of TMO members. Neither I want to be a part of a project which direction is decided by some vocal ones with almost no (if any) actual coding contribution (to CSSU) for the last 2 years.

So, stay tuned and hope for the best

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
On the other hand 1-2 weeks ago I was a little frustrated from the state of some "things" in CSSU and so far I still haven't decided whether to continue my contribution to a project which turned out to be some kind of "bugfixing only". It does not make sense for me to continue wasting time on -thumb if it won't be available for the majority of the n900 users, but only for a couple of TMO members. Neither I want to be a part of a project which direction is decided by some vocal ones with almost no (if any) actual coding contribution (to CSSU) for the last 2 years.

So, stay tuned and hope for the best
This actually worries me even more than Nokia shutdown.

My best kudos to you freemangordon. We are trying to help to avoid these situations, but there is little we can do without a proper permission from project's maintainer.

Last edited by ivgalvez; 2012-08-22 at 06:17.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
This is very sad
The only thing that keeps this phone alive and differe from others is the work that has been done by you and all the guys that improved this great machene and diferent is from the day I remember toke it out of the box.
Don't leave us alone...

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to guilledoc For This Useful Post:
I agree. If we are supposed to use N900 we need people who make it better. LTS is fine but our machine has a low spec hardware so to keep it running longer we need to optimize it so that it can still perform well in the times of SGSIII and show that the hardware is not the key factor but the software and people around it.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
i always thought that was the entire reason we had cssu-s and cssu-t. thumb support has great potential as demonstrated here, REing closed source components can lead to both stability and and performance increases. i really don't see the problem with adding features along the way.

i know we recently had the whole debate over the point of kernel-cssu and kernel-power, one for stable, one for testing features. i know we have cssu-devel for packages not yet in cssu-t, but maybe its time for a new branch. i mean, what happens when the there's hardly any bugs left, does development just stagnate?

with the work on glib, glibc, thumb, kernel battery charging being a little more involved than just recompiling existing versions with a patch, maybe they would be better positioned for something like a 5.1/cssu2 release.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
If all the skilled developers leave, device dies. That should be taken into account inside the community and by the people "running things". The more you contribute, the more you can say how things should be done, and where to go.

I see potential in N900 to become something similar to what Amiga was back in the day. Developers squeezed every last bit of the horsepower out of the very outdated hardware and it was a closed platform. It's been way over 20 years and the community as well as hardware is still around and active. Whole OS (and ROM) now have open source alternative with ports to another architectures (AROS) and there are modern hardware replicas available today. That is something I see as a very respectable work and end result from people around the never dying machine. I realize this is not relevant in this case, but it is a fine example what could be done. So, if we keep together, maybe we can achieve something similar.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
That is the spirit we need here!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
I tend to be very conservative with changes on my N900, but I've been eagerly watching CSSU-thumb develop.

Hope it does not go away, but freemangordon, you've already done a lot more than most people thought it was possible, so here's a very big thanks!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to [Knuckles] For This Useful Post:
Well, I finished (for now) my work on VKB (check here if you want to know the result) so I am back.
In short - I am continuing with all this stuff, but don't hold your breath for the new update, I really want new CSSU-testing out first, so I will base the new CSSU-thumb on top of it. Hopefully the new CSSU-T update should be out in a week or something. In the meanwhile I am going to work on a kernel to be included in CSSU ( -testing for start, if everything works as it should it will go to stable some day), which will be used as a foundation of future merge of -thumb and -testing (and hopefully stable). But again, don't hold your breath, it will take time

Community SSU developer

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life