Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
OMG! Incredible, and then he spends the day on the CLI......
I remember seeing that way back when and wondering too... Hehe. Too cool!

Tim

After playing a bit more, I really think you should give a try to the accelerometers. The movements are X or Y and the speed is constant. You only have to point to the direction of the biggest value and ignore the rest, isn't it?
I agree but it's much simpler to do when you can test it yourself. Btw there's also boost when you press the action key.

After playing a bit more, I really think you should give a try to the accelerometers. The movements are X or Y and the speed is constant. You only have to point to the direction of the biggest value and ignore the rest, isn't it?
OK, I did it (solarwolf_1.5-2maemo4). Please tell me how it works.
1. Does it work at all?
2. Are the directions correct?
3. Is the sensitivity too high or too low?

edit:
I just realised that even if it works it will be pretty erratic, oh well

Last edited by mikkov; 2009-08-01 at 01:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
1. It kind of works, but is not very responsive. For instance in Enigma or Horizon as soon as you flip to any side the movement is registred. In your game it looks as if there would a "cache": if you have flipped the unit too the right a lot and the you flip left then it will take a while until the ship actually turns left. Maybe Master of Gizmo and Jaffa can give you hand with the accelrometer interface?

2. Yes

3. The sensitivity looks fine, although is difficult to tell exactly with this "cache".

Also, now there is no way to navigate through the menu options. Which means no nice way to Quit.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Also, now there is no way to navigate through the menu options. Which means no nice way to Quit.
But, it's so fun that you'd never really want to quit, right?

Tim

Now there's a new version which should work better.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Sorry: even worst.

The initial screen of selection behaves like a jackpot. The option highlighted changes constantly and I don't even see a pattern. If keeping the selection without accelerometers as you had it initially is possible, then you probably go for that at least for now.

If you are lucky and select the Start key then you go to the menu to select between your current player or a new one. Again, impossibl to select anything and after a few seconds:

<class 'pygame.error'>:
Event queue full

File /usr/lib/gams/solarwolf/main.py, Line 99, Function gamemain
"pygame.event.post(pygame.event.Event(pygame.NUMEV ENTS-2, tilt=2))"

Again, impossibl to select anything and after a few seconds:
<class 'pygame.error'>:
Event queue full

File /usr/lib/gams/solarwolf/main.py, Line 99, Function gamemain
"pygame.event.post(pygame.event.Event(pygame.N UMEV ENTS-2, tilt=2))"
That error seems to be from previous version. Newest version is 1.5-2maemo5

Ah yes, this version works! Now playing is much easier and at least my score is much better now.

Ready for extras-testing. Thank you!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
After a bit more playing I quickly got to levels I could not reach without the accelerometers. Improved UX!

A couple of things:

- Is it possible/worth to make the info texts bigger? Not that I read them anyway since I nver read whatever stories they tell me in games but...

- The backlight time-out in the settings of the device is still active. It's not very nice to see how the screen goes black when you are surrounded by dangerous aliens shooting at you.

- When I finsihed the game and went to sign my score this error appeared:

<type 'exceptions.Atribute Error'>
event member not defined

File /usr/lib/games/solarwolf/gamename.py, Line 195, Function input "if i.key==K_BACKSPACE:"

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: