Active Topics

Poll: What do you think should be the user-visible friendly name for the terminal app?
Poll Options
What do you think should be the user-visible friendly name for the terminal app?

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Oh, yeah, what about a dedicated key (à la Windows key) to boot the terminal? :P

Or to make it more device agnostic, what about this combination with the power key: long-short-short-long ("X" in Morse code) :P :P
But you'd have to shake the device three times (not four, not two) at the same time.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by cenwesi View Post
lol, since we are at it, why don't we just call it DOS prompt
That's a hangin' offense around these parts.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
Almost. Command Line Interface Terminal ftw. Actually, I see no point in changing its name.
Ack! So...many...metaphors...springing to mind. Must...resist...temptation...

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
As an end-user I'm definitely for the idea of taking away the icon on the default, and then having a very simple way to add it if you want it.

My reasoning behind this is two-fold:

1. I like my things to run nice and tidy, so if I'm never-ever going to use this icon I never want to see it.

2. Next device will be even more mainstream and I think removing the icon will save around 5-6 useless threads being started in the future (this is a rough esimate based on no real numbers at all... in fact I came up with the number by accidentally glancing over at a phone nr. so the exac number of useless threads prevent is probably highly debatable)

The Following User Says Thank You to freppas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by blubbi View Post
What is so disturbing about the Icon...

There are many programs and Icons I don't know and I don't even know what to do with these apps... (like Facebook, Twitter and other such things...)

So I would like to have those Icons removed, cause they disturb skilled users...
Exactly! This is a horrible idea. The trend to hide all advanced functionality does nothing to actually help beginners, and makes everything annoying for advanced users.

And I immediately spot several other problems:

Psychological: Having a "real" icon, it will feel like a thought-out, integrated part of the device. Without the icon, it'll feel like some kind of cheat code and afterthought. You'll never feel quite as confident using the terminal.

Advertising: Maemo has to fight Android and Palm for the attention of the nerd crowd. Just having a visible terminal icon makes a huge statement, for zero cost.

Existing users: You're already going to add DRM, and removing the terminal will just reinforce the idea that you're corrupting Maemo. The DRM is understandable since you have to be able to sell even the content of assho1es, but it's going to be an image hit for sure. Why make it worse?

Learning: don't you think the terminal will actually make some n00bs curious, rather than scare them? (In which case there's a nice friendly X in the top right corner)

Last edited by livefreeordie; 2009-12-18 at 17:18.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freppas View Post
1. I like my things to run nice and tidy, so if I'm never-ever going to use this icon I never want to see it.
Yeah, I'm an end user too. Let's start a list of things to tidy up. I'd like the following removed:

Getting started - completely useless to me
Simple calculator - Almost TI is SOOO much better
Ovi Store GUI - duplicates functionality from apt-get(8)
Backup - SUCKS compared to rsync(1)
facebook
Notes - Ed is the standard editor, not "Notes"(??)

Edit: IN FACT, why do I need any of these cluttered icons when I have a keyboard? I vote for the default screen to be all black, waiting for keyboard input. Then we could start programs by typing in their names, and you'd never have to see the names of programs you don't want to run. That would be the cleanest interface ever.

Last edited by livefreeordie; 2009-12-18 at 17:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Just curious: how would you feel about Maemo 6 not having a terminal app in the application grid out of the box but having a Ctlr-Shift-X shortcut to boot the terminal?

The purpose of the change being that pure end user don't have to wonder what to do with this, while power users and developers would have it just as handy.
No. There have been so many steps backward from previous tablets, so it was very nice to have it out of the box as a step forward. It is already hidden on the second page.

Instead of shifting all the cost of making a system usable onto terminal users, why not allow easy deleting of icons by the user? There are quite a few I would like to delete or replace, such as an RPN calculator for the useless included calculator.

The Following User Says Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Just curious: how would you feel about Maemo 6 not having a terminal app in the application grid out of the box but having a Ctlr-Shift-X shortcut to boot the terminal?

The purpose of the change being that pure end user don't have to wonder what to do with this, while power users and developers would have it just as handy.
I think Maemo6 should have the X-Terminal out-of-the-box. keeping it hidden would remove the geekiness that I associate Nokia with when I see the N900. At the Summit, Jaaksi (VP Maemo), was upbeat about having the X-Terminal icon and shortcut "in case you want to show non-techies, whats so cool about linux"

If a non-techie, opens xterm, as is confused, nothing is lost. All users are smart enough to close an app they don't like or understand. The terminal opens up with regular user privileges anyways so the probability of a noob causing a catastrophe is insignificant. Better yet, the terminal might make a techie out of a noob.

The X-Terminal icon sets the N900 apart from other devices. I think Nokia should continue to showoff its geekiness with Maemo6 rather than being paranoid and try hard to hide it in the interest of 'end users'.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
I totally agree!

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
"GNU/Linux Terminal" of course! :-)

I vote for keeping the icon. It's not like there aren't lots of other icons in the apps list that most people will never use and never find out what they do.

X-Terminal is the most used icon on my desktop and occupies a prominent spot. I use it more than Contacts, Phone, Calendar and Conversations, because I use the terminal to read my email.

If I had to type an awkward key combo to read my mail, that wouldn't be very convenient at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:

Tags
get a life, who cares :p, xterm, xterm you fools!