Originally Posted by slvr32 View Post
I wasn't aware of this thread before I had a car with MirrorLink support, but now I'm trying to find the app for the N9 somewhere, since my car now has MirrorLink
Have tried installing carmode-backend_1.1.2+0m7_armel.deb and carmode_1.1.2+0m7_armel.deb sourced upon web upon a re-flashed N9, but got very strange results in that existing applications icons disappeared off screen one by one making device unusable requiring re-flash; as didn't have checksums wondered whether application corrupted maliciously but probably unlikely.

Perhaps carmode application should be installed first followed by carmode-backend, but should be interested if anyone has success.

The Following User Says Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
Originally Posted by aspergerguy View Post
Have tried installing carmode-backend_1.1.2+0m7_armel.deb and carmode_1.1.2+0m7_armel.deb sourced upon web upon a re-flashed N9, but got very strange results in that existing applications icons disappeared off screen one by one making device unusable requiring re-flash; as didn't have checksums wondered whether application corrupted maliciously but probably unlikely.

Perhaps carmode application should be installed first followed by carmode-backend, but should be interested if anyone has success.
Well, I installed carmode-backend first, and I just found a carmode deb and installed that.

I now have a 'Car mode' application icon, and I started that, and it seems to behave as expected, at a glance, and I haven't noticed any disappearing icons or unusual behavior yet.

I haven't tried actually using this in my car yet, but I'll post another update when I get a chance, probably in a few days, since I don't have access to my car for a bit.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
So, I finally got a chance to take a look at the behavior in my car, and drum roll... N9 shows up as a MirrorLink device, and the 'Car Mode' apps show up on the touchscreen in the car, but attempting to start any of the apps seems to lead to... nothing, except a message that an app couldn't be started, and basically I just get an empty screen in the car.

The apps do appear to run on the phone itself, but something seems to be broken or out of spec.

Also, the behavior above is what I get when the car is parked, and if I actually start driving, all of the app icons are muted, and the apps are essentially disabled because they haven't been certified for use while driving, etc...

After all the dust settles, the N9/phone integration in my car (2016 VW, Discovery headunit, IIRC) makes MirrorLink and Car Mode on the N9 look like antiquated, unsupported junk, and the 'native' phone/carkit integration is actually very good without MirrorLink, Bluetooth pairing only, access to contacts, call history, A2DP audio source, reading/composing text messages on the car touchscreen, etc...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slvr32 For This Useful Post: