Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Can you cite the source for your figures? How did you arrive at those figures? I'm particularly interested to see how well it did in the US, seeing as how Nokia is struggling here.

Edit: Ahh, on re-reading, I noticed you stated you only looked over NOKIA's own web stores. I'm more interested to see how the N900 is actually doing compared to other competing smartphones in general sales. It might not be doing as well, but it might be good to see how it's managing to rise or fall compared to its competitors.
Well it's already pretty good indication that N900 is doing really good thinking it's selling more than the Symbian phones.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Well it's already pretty good indication that N900 is doing really good thinking it's selling more than the Symbian phones.
But, is it? It seems like a myopic observation if it turned out that Symbian phones are easily outselling the N900 outside of Nokia's online web stores after all. I'd like to have some data for it one way or another.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'd like to have some data for it one way or another.
But the whole point of this thread is that - usually - Nokia doesn't publish such data for single models.

Of course you're right... and knowing that the N900 outsells the N97 in some online store doesn't mean anything at all.
People don't buy phones online, they get them from their carriers. Even for those who do buy elsewhere, amazon or the Nokia store isn't a valid indicator: As we hear in this forum, it's still pretty difficult in many countries to get the N900 at a local retailer. This may well lead to unusually high sales numbers whereever the device already is available.

So none of the statistics and figures we found answers the question "How many N900s are sold compared to N97s, HTC HD2s or Motorola Milestones or 5800s?"
But seeing quite a lot of indications that the N900 is, at least, not doing too bad (especially for a device that's just entered the market and isn't even available in large numbers everywhere) is comforting. It could have been that we don't find it among any "best selling devices" lists anywhere and that it doesn't make any impact on flickr.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ By the swamp
I have a feeling that they may drop a number or two on the 28th (when they talk numbers anyway) if the N900 is selling well just brag a little about it, but it will quite surely be silence or "selling as we expected" should the numbers be less good. Still feel like they're going to say at least SOMETHING.

Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
No need for such pedantism.
I think you'll find it's "pedantry"...

8-)

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
Yes, I know it can, it was a mistake and very obvious in the context of the sentence. No need for such pedantism. At least if you want to be put a smiley face, then your response wouldnt come across as curt/rude. I wouldnt call that a particularly friendly 'Maemo greeting' from you.
if it was a mistake, why do you attack me instead admitting it?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
People don't buy phones online, they get them from their carriers.
you live in the states i guess?

i haven't bought in the last 10 years a phone from my carrier... Why would i do that then i get a carrier abused phone.

And around me nobody does that, friends , co workers you name it. Almost all do it on line in shops like gsmweb.nl
If you want a cheap phone i would do it in a shop but then more something like the phonehouse or belcompany not one from a carrier.
But high end phones? always on line.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
you live in the states i guess?
No, but I read papers. - About my location: Try again! Hint:
benny1967
Posts: 2,284 | Thanked: 1,639 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @Vienna, Austria

Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
i haven't bought in the last 10 years a phone from my carrier...
That's a case of "you vs. the people" then.

Last figures I read about the topic was (in a printed article, can't link to it) that here in Austria, the market share of unlocked phones has grown from 17% in 2008 to 28% in 2009. The article also says that these numbers are high compared to the international average, and that the unlocked phones are mainly the cheap models, whereas high-end, expensive models are usually bought on contract.

Lets assume 30% of those who bought N900 download an app/widget. The most popular download is OMWeather at 18,000. Lets assume 50% of these folks downloaded it and this download number is accurate.

15% of n900 devices have OMweather =>18,000
total number of n900 to date = 18,000 * 7 => 126,000 units.

Lets be generous and double my number. Based on these assumptions Nokia sold about 256,000 units.

Posts: 321 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellas
Yeah, you wish it would be that easy to find out how many units have been sold.

Boot Videos: [ Maemo 1 & 2 ] | Matrix ]

Like my work? Consider making a Donation