Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Is it possible to make skypeout calls (voip style) over wifi at all? I.e. via the skype UI on the n9.

The London underground now has wifi and I have skype credit but no sip account*. My n950 doesn't have the skype UI so I used mc-tool and can enable my availability and call the skype call testing service. I tried adding the n9 repo temporarily to install skype's ui but this threw up 100s of package updates, probably because of PR1.3 - could somebody send me their cached .deb files if skypeout is actually possible? Thanks.

Oh, also I installed QuickCall, but this simply does not seem to make use of skype.

*Alternatively, can anyone recommend a good (okay, cheap) voip/sip provider?

Does anyone have a copy of the debs?

You can! Don't you just have to go to Phone, then select "Skype" on the topbar?

The Following User Says Thank You to fsx For This Useful Post:
Ahh thanks. It definitely does look like the phone can, thanks. I found a picture here: http://bbs.dospy.com/viewthread.php?...4#pid189631241

It also had a link to a .deb which I've ar/tar extracted to see if it's an exploit (it seems safe). It also contains .conf files which look like they set name-value pairs which might be all I need to tweak in mc-tool to make the built in phone app provide that dropdown. I could always add users and top-up credit on other devices (or reboot to nitdroid, where the mic doesn't work for skype calls).

So the n950 DOESN'T just have a skype option, the apt repo does not contain the skype UI like the n9. In answer to your quite reasonable question at the end

Okay dpkg -i _account-plugin-skype_0.85+0m6_armel.deb worked!

I can't see any difference between mc-tool show spirit/skype/myusername0 and the one I created via this new plugin to the Account app which ended up as spirit/skype/myusername1

So I guess this was the only easy way to get this working. I'll be sure to test this works when I have no gsm signal