Active Topics

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
And I'm not sure what you mean about the morse code. The "c" logo I created spells out "code" starting at the center and "unwinding".
I apologize I was reading in in the opposite way...and that's brings me to think if other people would try to read it like i did...what do you think?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
The main challenge when different designs has to go together is to keep a kind of harmony, for instance not use too many colours (that distract the eyes) and make something easy to remember. I will post few ideas as soon as I will finish a work which is almost finished (and I can't wait to forget about it!!!) Hope in a couple of weeks
As a longtime graphics designer and artist I understand.

I think I can bring the two together clearly and easily. Example later.

I apologize I was reading [the word "code"] in the opposite way...and that's brings me to think if other people would try to read it like i did...what do you think?
It's certainly probable that some people will read it backwards. I see pros and cons to either approach. Will have to think on it...

EDIT: upon reflection... it isn't really written backwards. The issue here is whether a person viewing the graphic sees the spiral as curling or uncurling. It is meant to portray that latter, and if people think in terms of the N900 web zoom feature they will default toward reading it properly.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-30 at 20:29.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
EDIT: upon reflection... it isn't really written backwards. The issue here is whether a person viewing the graphic sees the spiral as curling or uncurling. It is meant to portray that latter, and if people think in terms of the N900 web zoom feature they will default toward reading it properly.
I think is a bit complicated to see the reading directions in those terms, I simply think that the eye tends to read the big things first, probabily that's why I read the word on the opposite way, also because when people watch something don't think about zoom directions and things like that, so in my personal opinion if you need to explain how to read something means that need some changes...but of course this is my personal opinion.

I think is a bit complicated to see the reading directions in those terms, I simply think that the eye tends to read the big things first, probabily that's why I read the word on the opposite way, also because when people watch something don't think about zoom directions and things like that, so in my personal opinion if you need to explain how to read something means that need some changes...but of course this is my personal opinion.
Completely understood, and I'm not opposed to changing it... just reluctant (a lot of work went into that thing!). I still like the idea of the icon tied to the zoom, and have hope that many among the target audience will figure it out quick enough.

But there is certainly something to be said for the psychological aspects. Only a sociopathic designer sets out to deliberately annoy his audience.

On the other hand, the design started with a certain intent of mystery. Most will need to decipher the code in the first place (although probably not all will follow through). That leads them on a path of discovery. If they discover the word "edoc", I would hope the same curiosity would lead them to eventually flip it around.

In other words my hope is that I don't have to explain it as much as people have to explore (if they like). But it's a fine line between teasing and antagonism...

Anyway there's also the slice of reality that says "maybe the Nike swoosh is just a silly thing that means nothing but makes some people ask questions".

Slogan ideas:

UX/UI sessions

"Icon do it!"

Coding

"There's an API for that!"

(only half serious)

Playing around with claesbas' idea...

On a related note, I've decided to see if i can try Samantha's suggestion of changing the "code" reading start point. Working on that as I can.

Feedback always welcome!

Tags
graphics, icons