Active Topics

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Because I don't have permissions to change it for "MeeGo / Harmattan" myself.

It's a trivial change, as opposed to discuss the destiny of the whole maemo.org or even the whole talk.maemo.org, which deserves an own thoughtful discjussion, or many.
Well then, why make a post about it instead of just PMing Reggie telling him to change it?

I think the time to show any consideration to community members is past don't you think?

The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Well then, why make a post about it instead of just PMing Reggie telling him to change it?
Because people will scream bloody murder.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Because people will scream bloody murder.
And also - to 'ask for permission' for something as trivial as this will make some of the more dedicated fanboys cry out - "see!! they do care what we think!"

Rather clever really.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by RenegadeFanboy View Post
Because they do care?
Even if for the announcement and press part of things Nokia did take business priorities above community priorities - already one day later they are showing that 2nd priority does not mean no priority.

I for one like the fact that the vague "we will trust the communities to decide on the community stuff" statement one-by-one proves to be a practice. Long way to go, but why not be happy about the first steps, like asking the community kindly?
Spot on. As I said earlier in this thread - at the end of the day, Nokia (and Intel) are businesses and have completely different priorities than community gathered around that business. What is worth pointing out tough, is that they are actually do reach out back to the community and ask their opinion on the matter. That's at least what I see between the lines on Quim's various posts since yesterday.

IMVHO, people generally don't like drastic changes. However, as time flies by, we will all get used to that new MeeGo thing and quickly adjust to the new "reality". Think Facebook and their main layout changes every so often - there is a pattern I've observed myself: each time something changes in FB's layout, about 95% of people complain saying "previous was better". Time passes by, FB changes its layout again and... people complain that "previous was better". I am pretty certain we will see similar pattern with Maemo -> MeeGo, although I hope MeeGo is going to be definite branding change in this case. ;)

Last edited by evad; 2010-02-16 at 16:15. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by evad View Post
What is worth pointing out tough, is that they are actually do reach out back to the community and ask their opinion on the matter. That's at least what I see between the lines on Quim's various posts since yesterday.

Lol, I rest my case.

Bye

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
this Nokia-drone
That's Mr. Gil to you.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post
This forum (not the entire talk.maemo.org) is titled "Maemo 6 / Harmattan". Quim is simply proposing that it is renamed to "MeeGo / Harmattan" to reflect recent developments.
Yes, good that proposal is clarified quickly.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Can someone do it already and get it over with?
Oh, how many times have I said that about parts of the website... (the community page still has developers' mailing list recent posts on it).

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Lol, I rest my case.

Bye :)
Everyone obviously could have his/hers own opinion and I respect that. ;P

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by evad View Post
Spot on. As I said earlier in this thread - at the end of the day, Nokia (and Intel) are businesses and have completely different priorities than community gathered around that business.
That may be true in this case, but it's not generally the case. There are plenty of businesses involved in free software because they are part of the community and their interests align with the community's interests.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
There was confusion about "Maemo 6" and I explained the deal with "Maemo 6", picking the concrete example of renaming this SUB-forum.

If there is something wrong with this please let me know how to improve.

Last edited by qgil; 2010-02-16 at 18:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
branding, buying nokia devices, buying non-nokia devices, intel is stinky, intel rocks, maemo, maemo 6, meego, meego versions, moblin, nokia, see tintin go bye-bye, sm - go back into hiding