Active Topics

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
No, the magical part is in making a _smart watch_ powered by kinetic motion. Once you've used unicorn blood to reduce the power consumption of the screen to nanowatt levels, then one might as well entirely ditch kinetic and use a good-ol CR3032 that will last you more than the lifetime of the crappy capacitors on a kinetic watch.
That is why you dispense with high powered screens and dual core processors. If health/fitness/activity is the use case that Samsung are talking about, then it's useless to their device sitting on a bedside locker not tracking anything for a significant portion of the time. The problem here is that Samsung have a hammer (ie. lots of technology), so all they see are nails (how much stuff can we pack onto a device). The end result is a confusing device that doesn't know what it wants to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Itīs a done deal!

I read it on the world wide web.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-09-19 at 18:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
May succeed if Samsung releases it with good specification ie:
Not less than 6 gb internal memory
Supports external MC
RAM above 1gb
Cam at least 8mp
Screen at least 4 inches
Good browser
&
Must have Application support.
Of course price will be another big factor.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Surprised there's no dedicated Tizen sub-forum, it's certainly been delivering more than Ubuntu Touch, yet there's one @TMO for UT but not Tizen.
Weird O_o ---> http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Anyway... Anyone got a Tizen device yet?
We all know Tizen handhelds keep appearing & then disappearing from the horizon, but Sammy seems to be more committed to Tizen for wearables like smart-watches etc.

I'm thinking about getting the Gear 2 Neo, I know the Gear S will be out soon, but I don't want to wait, plus I don't really want 3G in my smart-watch, at least yet anyway.
And I know I could get the Gear Live (Android Wear), but I already have enough Android devices, I want to try something new.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-09-30 at 17:56.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Thanks for reminding me of this thread, by the way.

Yes it should also be powered by unicorn blood.

To paraphrase Thom Holwerda:

You're attributing magical properties to an item that doesn't even exist.
So it turns out that the Apple Watch ended up looking like that, and the media response has been so _biased_ it was hilarious to read.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Surprised there's no dedicated Tizen sub-forum, it's certainly been delivering more than Ubuntu Touch, yet there's one @TMO for UT but not Tizen.
Weird O_o ---> http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55
Personally it seems clear Ubuntu Touch is more focused on releasing actual devices than Tizen. And that's not much to be honest....

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I'm thinking about getting the Gear 2 Neo, I know the Gear S will be out soon, but I don't want to wait, plus I don't really want 3G in my smart-watch, at least yet anyway.
And I know I could get the Gear Live (Android Wear), but I already have enough Android devices, I want to try something new.
Note that you still need an Android device to even browse the official Samsung Tizen store (for Gear programs).

Personally it seems clear Ubuntu Touch is more focused on releasing actual devices than Tizen. And that's not much to be honest.....
Huh? They don't have even one device out yet*, Samsung's released several in the past ~12mth.
Yes nothing interesting when it comes to handhelds, we know that, but other form-factors nonetheless.

Note that you still need an Android device to even browse the official Samsung Tizen store (for Gear programs).
Why on earth is that the case?
Oh well, not a big deal, most people trialling such a device will have an Android phone/tablet.
Still odd though...

*by ~Dec they'll FINALLY have 2

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-10-01 at 03:49.

Just remembered your great post about your experiences with the Gear 2
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...45#post1437045

I'm looking at the Gear 2 Neo (i.e. sans Camera & higher grade build-quality)...
I don't care about it from an engineering perspective, or even a FOSS/hack-ability perspective.
I just care about it purely from an UX perspective...
It's to be used primarily as my activity/health/sleep-tracker, with some mild smart-watch duties.
The battery life will make it a PIA in that respect, but I'm sure I can work with it...

P.S.
can admin please make "tw4t" acceptable by the filter, otherwise it's impossible to type smart-watch without a hyphen!?!

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-10-01 at 04:06.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Samsung did a nice job of securing their Tizen camera.

http://op-co.de/blog/posts/hacking_the_nx300/
http://op-co.de/blog/posts/rooting_the_nx300/

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Tags
clunky, death rules, mike_tizen, titzen, tizen == kebab, tizen rules, tizen_day, tjamtjung, yet still sucks, zen and tizen