http://www.phonearena.com/news/OTA-u...hablet_id34110

I like the new launcher that is found in the s3.
But, hope that this update is not loaded with the super brick bug like the earlier updates.

The Following User Says Thank You to Virtuality For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Hmm I've heard of issues like yours.
I would do a MD5 checksum on the kernel you downloaded. I
I could not find the v3 kernel anymore (or MD5 sums), there is already v3_5. The md5sum of my downloaded v3 is

1a1d1c22906260b1b1619b787924b617 GL_NOTECORE_HYDRACORE_v3_STD.zip

Try downloading it again. And before installation wipe cache, dalvik, factory. After installation do “fix permissions “.

Let me know how it goes.
Thanks for the tips, I'll try again new one soon. I'm now using CWM and zip, original ICS update was according your instructions in earlier post, Odin with tar.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Galaxy note got a new update(still 4.0.4):

- Direct Call from S III
- Resizable Pop Up Play from Note II
- New Gallery taken directly from Note II (without Air View)
- Lockscreen Rotate to Camera from S III
- New TouchWiz Launcher taken from S III. Improves performance dramatically.
- New Setup Procedure
- New Backup to Samsung Account (SMS etc)
- Slightly changed contact list layout
- Performance improved!
- Added S-Cloud (there is no dedicated App but after flashing you will be asked if you want to sync all your settings with samsung)
- Added new motion: call contact currently displayed if you raise the phone
- Added bloatware (NTV, Lieferheld, ChatOn, myTaxi)

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland

Good question, I've asked the same thing.

Is a large screen better than a qwerty for typing?
-No, but it's close enough with Swype and SwiftKey.

Is a large screen better for gaming than a smaller one with qwerty?
-Not really. Maybe in some instances, but qwerty tactile is awesome.

Is a large screen better "in general" than a smaller one with qwerty?
-Yes, slightly.

Now what about a large screen with a PEN ?
-Yes, it's even better, no doubt.
Frankly a hardware keyboard wins every day of the week. Even my 10" Touchpad, with Hackers Keyboard isn't as nice to use as my N900. Just missing that tactileness ...

... however once you get used to it and are trustworthy of it, then it does end up quicker - especially with all the keys available onscreen with "Hackers Keyboard".

One items worth considering is:

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/mini-blue...ote-p35609.htm

Not as nice as the slideout keyboards cases that folk have been butchering for the N9, but still a useful idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think the biggest issue with even the greatest on screen keyboard is that it covers about 70% of the screen. If you working with any type of input fields off screen gives a superior user experience.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I think the biggest issue with even the greatest on screen keyboard is that it covers about 70% of the screen. If you working with any type of input fields off screen gives a superior user experience.
Actually it is not quite as bad as you say because on the GNote you can adjust the size of the keyboard such that you can type fairly easily when it covers about 40% of the screen when in portrait and about 50% in landscape (of course you have to get used to it and nothing beats a HWKB but...) . In both cases you will still have more area on GNote screen that is not covered by keyboard than the total screen area of N900.

Hmmm... I see a running joke here.

The Galaxy Note screen is sooo big you can "fill in the blank" ...

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
I'm on vanilla CM9 now. CM10 (both vanilla and PA1.99) appeared to have some chronic memory leak which required either a forced reboot daily, or diligint rebooting in the morning to ensure it didn't happen.

With this, I'm using
  • Hackers Keyboard - with full keyboard setting on landscape and 5 row gingerbread on portrait
  • Markers - for scribbling and quickly sending stuff
  • Memo Beta to replace S-Memo - note, this includes S-pen functionality. Note there is also a homebrew called G-Note available on the note forums on xda, but I prefer memo from Google Play - it's neater.
  • Fast Dormancy Toggle for i9300 - to improve battery life due to iffy VF data connections
  • Freenote - for detailed notes (install it - superb piece of software)

Being left-handed, I also struggled with the fact that CM has no configuration for changing the dominant hand ;

Use:

Code:
echo "0" > /sys/class/sec/sec_epen/epen_hand
for left hand dominant

and

Code:
echo "1" > /sys/class/sec/sec_epen/epen_hand
for right-hand dominant.

Just save this as a script in /data/local/userinit.sh so that it is loaded at boot-time.

And ... I'm very happy with my beast of a smartphone.

Does anybody happen to have environment to compile new wpa_supplicant for Note and ICS 4.0.4? I would love to connect to N9 hotspot but Android seems to filter out ad-hoc hotspots.

I found the touchscreen typing to be more than bearable on the NOTE. Frankly, when you have 5in of screen, the buttons just align properly.

I think the best screen typing is on a 7in screen in portrait mode. On a 10in device its horrible and shouldn't be used for comparisons.

Touch screen Typing isn't perfect, but its better than dedicated QWERTY which is going to make the device thicker, introduce a moving part and can't change layout for other characters and languages.

For games, the keyboard doesn't work well until you have something like GameGripper. But then you don't have any thing to control movement or camera like a Joystick, or to a lesser extent Nubs, trackballs, track pads, touch pads. With most Apps you have "virtual touchpads“.

At the end of it, its a compromise. It just depends on you and what your willing to compromise. For instance, this post took 3min to type from NOTE.

PS. That attachable keyboard for the Note, is horrible. If your going to get a device like that look for Logitech Dinovo Mini, its pricey but its worth it.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
I think the best screen typing is on a 7in screen in portrait mode. On a 10in device its horrible and shouldn't be used for comparisons.
On my old Q1 tablet I had a rounded transparent keyboard which helped thumb typing on larger screens. I'm not sure why samsung don't introduce it to their bigger 10inch tablets.

Is there perhaps one you can get from the Play store?

Tags
android, galaxy note