Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So how did your Android app pick up the NFC? Does it show up as an option within the app? Can you turn it on/off within the app or is it always on?

Thanks in advance for the answers.
It did pick up the NFC. It's an optional feature of the app. Normal payment is going the normal way, but NFC payment is an optional way of paying with said app.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Well this could be great news. My nfc chip barely detects toh. Can we see video of the payment process via nfc functionality or at least what banking app you used? The app may have detected nfc cbut that does not mean it is useable. Have you made a payment using nfc?

The Following User Says Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So how did your Android app pick up the NFC?
Quite. There are numerous problems with this claim

1). The NFC ariel is too short range, just as Jolla have stated. People have tested this; you have to remove TOH and press the NFC tag directly onto the antenna for it to be detected.
2) NFC is not exposed to Alien Dalvik
3) NFC is switched off immediately after detecting TOH (there's a physical microswitch that alerts the Jolla if a new TOH is being connected) , so even if statements 1 and 2 were to be false, it wouldn't matter. No NFC is available to Alien Dalvik because the hardware is inactive.
4) The sandbox nature of Alien Dalvik does not give it the capability of turning on (or off) any hardware features of the phone

For simple evidence, just try something like Android's Near Field NFC Tester application (or NFC Enabled or similar) for evidence of this.

I don't know what vistaus did, but it didn't use NFC in Android

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Quite. There are numerous problems with this claim

1). The NFC ariel is too short range, just as Jolla have stated. People have tested this; you have to remove TOH and press the NFC tag directly onto the antenna for it to be detected.
2) NFC is not exposed to Alien Dalvik
3) NFC is switched off immediately after detecting TOH (there's a physical microswitch that alerts the Jolla if a new TOH is being connected) , so even if statements 1 and 2 were to be false, it wouldn't matter. No NFC is available to Alien Dalvik because the hardware is inactive.
4) The sandbox nature of Alien Dalvik does not give it the capability of turning on (or off) any hardware features of the phone
1 It's enough for payment at least. You just have to hold it close.
2 Apparently, it is.
3 That's true for the default setting, but you can force NFC to be enabled all the time via systemd.

For simple evidence, just try something likabe Android's Near Field NFC Tester application (or NFC Enabled or similar) for evidence of this.
I've read multiple reviews on various places and apparently NFC Enabled says "device unsupported" on some devices while it's actually supposed to be supported because it has a good, strong NFC chip. So that's not an accurate app to do the test on the Jolla phone.

I don't know what vistaus did, but it didn't use NFC in Android
Gee, thanks for calling me a liar I really did use NFC payment.

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I thought NFC payments had to have access to the NFC 'secure element' either in the SIM card or some internal encrypted secure enclave like Apple have in the 5s/6/6+ ?

I suppose it's quite possible without it and the banking app doesn't bother with that level of security but I don't think I'd trust it.

The few NFC android apps I tried just now all said 'This device doesn't support NFC' when launched. eg 'NFC Sniffer' - http://apps.store.aptoide.com/app/ma...772/NFCSniffer

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
2 Apparently, it is.
3 That's true for the default setting, but you can force NFC to be enabled all the time via systemd.

I've read multiple reviews on various places and apparently NFC Enabled says "device unsupported" on some devices while it's actually supposed to be supported because it has a good, strong NFC chip. So that's not an accurate app to do the test on the Jolla phone.

what banking app is this??

Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
If I look at the most downloaded app in Jolla Store the most downloaded app is Android support with 25.000+ downloads.

Does an app download only count once by device/account, excluding reinstallation?
If so it must mean that at least 25.000 devices running SailfishOS do exist.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
As Jolla Oy is a (private) limited company, there are some publicly accessable data about how it is doing, at least up to end of last year:

The table below is from Finnish economic newspaper Taloussanomat:
http://yritys.taloussanomat.fi/y/jol...nki/2399817-6/

Translations:
Liikevaihto 1000 EUR -> Turnover (in 1000 EUR)
Liikevaihtomuut. % -> Net change in %
Tilikauden tulos 1000 EUR -> Net income (in 1000 EUR)
Liikevoitto % -> Operating profit in %
Henkilöstön lukumäärä -> Number of employees

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
2 Apparently, it is.
apparently?
What are the commands?

Where arethese reviews I have not seen any on this matter?

He never said you were a liar. It is just that this is a new claim we wantto verify and we are all interested to know how this works as this is the first many of us have heard such a claim. Plus it would be nice to share how it is done so the community can also use this capability. That is why I asked what banking app you have used for a payment.

Thanks

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
If I look at the most downloaded app in Jolla Store the most downloaded app is Android support with 25.000+ downloads.

Does an app download only count once by device/account, excluding reinstallation?
If so it must mean that at least 25.000 devices running SailfishOS do exist.
Well I have re-installed at least 3 times, so I would expect this to be on the high side.