I am waiting for a release date for the "consumer" device!

http://www.meegolinux.it/

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Sorry guys, bad news.
The developer device won't be distributed at the MeeGo Conference.
And no, I got that message not in this very moment (nearly one in the night), but I just returned to my room and had access to my Laptop again.
I haven't had it with me because we were down to play Werewolf so I thought I wouldn't need it there.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pawel View Post
http://sf2011.meego.com/program/session-schedule

Any suggenstiones which session could be used to show the device?
Is it at least going to be one of the livestreamed?

Btw I can't see any LG sessions eather
LG probablly will show something in the IVI session on the first day? I'd be surprised Nokia use any of the session to announce the dev program...

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Sorry guys, bad news.
The developer device won't be distributed at the MeeGo Conference.
And no, I got that message not in this very moment (nearly one in the night), but I just returned to my room and had access to my Laptop again.
I haven't had it with me because we were down to play Werewolf so I thought I wouldn't need it there.
That sucks (but kinda expected...) but are they gonna provide info on the dev program during the conference? I don't mind the device being available some time after.

Btw, can you show me the device when I attend the 2nd day

Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Desire does duty as a backup phone when
i've killed the battery on the N900 (moreso now because I'm playing with daily N900 DE builds and constantly rebooting)

I guess I'm also lucky enough to be able to afford to upgrade every 6-12 months.
Part of the reason why I'll probably end up getting the harmattan device (and the HP3 if it supports 850/2100 UMTS), oh and the Fujitsu Loox (just to see if i can wipe WP7 and dual boot Meego and symbian!)
Yeah, I've been far from swimming in funds lately, which unfortunately is why I didn't snatch an N900 from Amazon.com when they were $350 . . . which is killing me now. I'd have one N900 for stock PR 1.3 and one dual-booting CSSU and DE right now, if that was the case? Ohhh, what a beautiful thought.

But one thing I DID do lately was buy a spare battery. They're ridiculously cheap (I got a legitimate Nokia one for ~$20 on Amazon.ca), and it's always fun when I pull out my phone and go "oh, damn, it's almost out of battery charge" and my iPhone-loving friends smirk and start to make snide comments about how it's funny that such a bulky phone could run out of ba----hey wait is his pulling out a spare battery? ****, that took like 5 seconds for him to swap it.

Problem with the Fujitsu Loox, that's Japan only right? They seem to use such wonky frequencies it seems like it'd be a nice pocket computer, but couldn't actually double as a cellphone anywhere else in the world. But having an Atom chip running the Win7 side of things does dangle the tantalizing possibility of a MeeGo Handset/Tablet UX install . . . going to keep a close eye on that one indeed.

To be fair, if my N900 does die sometime soon (which isn't outside the realm of possibility, since I've had it for ages and take it everywhere) and there isn't any way for a really-only-a-dev-for-myself person to get the dev device, I'm sure I could live with the Harmattan consumer device. Better to be able to type "dpkg -i *.deb" with a touchscreen then not be able to type it at all

Plus, for all the fear that people seem to have about the availability of apps, many of the Maemo apps I use the most often *already* have MeeGo (heh, that's fun) ports either in the works or in the wild, and a number of them (such as thp's astonishing gPodder) are far superior to anything I've ever seen on Android or iOS, even including *shudder* non-OSS paid apps. So, whatever fears I may have about the exact state of the Harmattan devices, software isn't really going to be one of them; I think anyone who really fears such is giving in to the app store numbers groupthink.

The Following User Says Thank You to keithzg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
That sucks (but kinda expected...) but are they gonna provide info on the dev program during the conference? I don't mind the device being available some time after.
For me it wasn't expected. I won't trust my source at Nokia Germany anymore that fast. Will talk with him/her about that after the conference personally, whats gone wrong. The statement was clearly that there will be dev-devices distributed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Maybe they saw huge interest here for device with hwkb and they decided to sell them instead of distributing them for free.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kolos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by TurboDragon View Post
Hi everyone,

I am from the distant future and have come to monitor everything to do with the N950. I can't tell too much because I have signed an NDA before travelling in time, but linux will be absolutely critical to world history in the next few decades (hint: robot wars) and this phone, as one of the most advanced device created before the great collapse, will prove to be the most useful weapon against those metal m*****f***ers.

However, a loophole in my NDA is that it does not directly forbid me to discuss past events, even if they are not widely known, and anyway since the internet archives will soon be taken over by the Chinese, I doubt someone will find this forum.

Therefore, here is what happened/happens/will happen according to my briefing (many good people gave their lives for this intel, peace be with them): the N950 (please note that in the future we refer to the keyboard device as N950 and to the keyboardless as N9) was designed in 2010, with a planned release at the end of 2010, after MeeGo 1.1 comes out. The software was not deemed ready at the time, but while waiting for it to mature, a production run was started and the teaser video was made (the tweets in early May 2011 are about another video, for the other model, which you haven’t seen yet).

However, as you all know, a lot changed in Fall 2010 at Nokia headquarters. The new management was not thrilled with MeeGo because it was still a niche OS and cancelled the release of the N950 at the last minute, leaving them with an unknown amount of devices stockpiled.

A new project, which we call N9, was started then. This one will be ready some time in the Fall, features the best current hardware, but no keyboard. It is intended as a mass-market device to try and make some money off of the investment in MeeGo. Unfortunately, the lack of keyboard makes it almost useless in fighting the machine uprising.

In the meantime, to create some semblance of an ecosystem, Nokia will begin distributing the N950′s that they already have to developpers, at the MeeGo conference of May 2011 and to launchpad members. Judging from the number remaining in 2036, there won't be that many, but you won't have to sell your soul to get one either.

I am afraid I cannot tell you about anything else without risk of modifying the course of future events. However, I will say this: Apple is indeed evil, do not encourage them in any way. You have been warned.
Except this is the CTO at end of feb calling it the n950
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl626dqZ6VM

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
daperl: just take a look at the images Nik has posted...

the other guy: I'm sorry that you're disappointed with my "made up revelations".
Do I get a "I'm sorry for my discouraging words" from you on monday when/if my words were true?
but wait if attenders at the conference get that damn device they probadly will sign NDA and is not allowed to take any picture on the device so again no one can prove they have one and the thread here will continue "we want prof"

i wonder if nokia launchpad members are to get one?

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland