Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
wow, yes.. umm if you were able to "touch scroll" with the scrollbars globally, they'd have to be wider. Just wide enough to use stylus would be sufficient... just my thoughts

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by MartinNZ View Post
please someone with the requisit technical prowess start a bugzilla bug report for this.
Please try writing the report yourself, and ask again if you couldn't, by starting a new topic like "Please help me use bugs.maemo.org to report a bug").

It does not require much "technical prowess" to file a feature request. Just follow the instructions on bugs.maemo.org. It's a lot like posting to a forum, except you are expected to stay very focused on just the topic being tracked.

Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Most likely Qt and Maemo 6 development plan would be involved, because the work needed prior to that, only to repeat it for Maemo 6, may be more than is worth doing.
At some point, making it harder to port from maemo release to maemo release than across platforms is going to get really tiresome.

I've logged this as a bug into bugzilla. Please vote for this if you agree that this would be a useful feature.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8200

Last edited by MartinNZ; 2010-01-18 at 11:24. Reason: new bug number

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinNZ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by j.s View Post
At some point, making it harder to port from maemo release to maemo release than across platforms is going to get really tiresome.
Yes. So it would be good if they fix this now, rather than later.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio
In my previous winmo device rom there was another way to do this. The was no scrollbar in contacts. App looked and worked basicly the same as the one in n900, but when you scroll from the right side of the screen, an alphabet appears on the center of the screen. Then you can choose the first letter of name by scrolling up and down and pick the one you're looking for. Easy.

Same logic could be used in browser with a picture of a whole page popping up from the right side of the screen, max half a cm wide. Or just a slidebar could appear. I find the alphabetical scrollbar very useful in contacts, don't know if it works in web browser as good.

E: List of alphabets seems to be available in portrait mode. I just find the one in winmo faster. No tapping 2 or 3 times, just sliding finger. List does not have to be there all the time.

Last edited by Tesno; 2010-01-18 at 07:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tesno For This Useful Post:
the bug filed was closed because it was deemed incorrect because the problem is with the system ui, not just microB. I've filed a new bug at https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8200

Please vote for this to be fixed if you think it is a good idea.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Voted!

Originally Posted by Tesno View Post
Same logic could be used in browser with a picture of a whole page popping up from the right side of the screen, max half a cm wide. Or just a slidebar could appear.
I would love this Idea!

But, swipe in from the left side. The right side is used for the Browser History. (the left for browser history would be imho better, but thats not the point) We don't need much space. We can place something like this near the toggle Button for the Mouse. In the Bottom the Button to enable the Mouse. And in the Top of it a vertical scrollbar to drag and scroll fast tru the page.

This would help only at the browser. Not in other Menus... but a small improvement is still a improvement!

Should we create a Brainstorm or is something like this already there?

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Until then, I have my own technique.

I put my finger/thumb on the lower part of the screen (frame), then build up pressure and let the finger slide up, not stopping until it bypasses the top of the screen. This makes the finger slide very very fat over the sensitive area, not slowing down at the end.

The whole motion is like snapping one's fingers, except the middle finger is the phone (I know).

If done right, I can scroll all repositories (devel, testing, extras, nokia) in two swipes. Don't know how many those are.

I can also go through contacts in one swipe (250 contacts).

--

Edit: Helmuth: swipe from left is for cursor. How about shift+scroll for 5X speed?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by spanner View Post
How does everyone else cope?
i don't really copy. each time i have to scroll either through long web pages or through lists, i wish i could ******* ********* ********** in ***** the people responsible for it.

i think the reason why such things make it into a final product is that user interfaces these days aren't designed for users and their 100000 different use cases. user interfaces are designed for so-called tech journalists and bloggers who only have one single use case: play with the device for 15 minutes, then write a review. these people don't know what to look for in high end phones, because the most sophisticated consumer electronics product they ever used in their whole lives was a game console attached to mother's TV.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: