Active Topics

My car was broken into this week and my beloved N810 was among the many things taken. Now i will have to see if i can go for an N900 to replace it. I just don't know if i will like the size of the screen and keyboard compared to the N810. I do like everything else about it.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Pittsburgh, PA USA
Originally Posted by brianctr23 View Post
My car was broken into this week and my beloved N810 was among the many things taken. Now i will have to see if i can go for an N900 to replace it. I just don't know if i will like the size of the screen and keyboard compared to the N810. I do like everything else about it.
I have an N810 and worried that the N900 would be too small. After using the N900, now the N810 seems huge and way too big. IMO, the N900 out performs the N810 in every way. I put a t-mobile sim in, and get very usable Internet access for $30 a month (total, including free text and voice for 10 or 15 cents per minute) using the sidekick prepaid plan. (Plus you can switch between the 3 prepaid plans, one of which effectively allows you to stop paying a $1 a day for the Internet access - you can return to sidekick when you need it.) The keyboard is great too. The N900 is the perfect size.
BTW, the gps locks to satellites in a matter of seconds with a wife or cellular connection. I don't use the N810 anymore and will sell it on ebay.

Well that makes me feel a little better. I have never played with an n900 in person so i don't know how it will be but just from watching the videos of the device it does seem impressive. I am submitting my claim to insurance so i will see if they replace the n810 with the n900 because they don't really sell any n810s that i am aware of. If not i will make sure that i get one anyway. My only concern now is i have at&t, i guess i can try it and if i don't like the speed maybe i will give t-mobile a shot considering my contract is up with at&t. Thanks for the insight.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I agree with Rabilon. I only bought a N900 a couple of months ago, when I saw a really good deal, which actually reduced my monthly phone bill by almost a third.
I always thought the N900 would be too small, keyboard too fiddly etc. I had actually fingered a demo mockup back in Feb, and thought that.

Gadget lust finally took over, and you know what, I have never touched the N810 since. It's still there, and charged.

The N900 was definately a worthy upgrade from the N810. The next update is seemly due imminently, and from what I have read does not add much in the way of extras, but will have a load of fixes which should make the device even slicker etc.

I do not think you will be disappointed.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Originally Posted by brianctr23 View Post
I just don't know if i will like the size of the screen and keyboard compared to the N810. I do like everything else about it.
The screen is significantly smaller than previous models. The size of the keyboard is fine, and the physical keys are better than the N810's. The main complaint is that there are too few of them.

Ultimately it's a matter of personal taste, so if you can try to find a shop with a demo unit and play around with it for a few minutes before buying.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
If you're looking for a big, readable screen with WLAN and free 3G data in 100 countries, then I have an idea for you ... the Amazon Kindle.

Sure, the browser is limited, and slow, but good enough for webmail. And while the's no apps store, it is a pretty good eBook reader. :-)

It's got a keyboard too ... of sorts. And great battery life.

Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
And while the's no apps store
An app store is supposed to be coming, and in the meantime you can jailbreak it and play Zork on it ;-)

If you're looking for a big, readable screen with WLAN and free 3G data in 100 countries, then I have an idea for you ... the Amazon Kindle.

Sure, the browser is limited, and slow, but good enough for webmail. And while the's no apps store, it is a pretty good eBook reader. :-)

I already have one of those, or my wife does. They are nice for what they are but I just like to be able to do anything with the tablet which a kindle will not be able to do.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey

When you say the browser is limited... isn't it limited to just downloading books from Amazon? Or can you browse more of the web (like google, yahoo, NFL.com, etc)?
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by DistantFire View Post
When you say the browser is limited... isn't it limited to just downloading books from Amazon? Or can you browse more of the web (like google, yahoo, NFL.com, etc)?
You can browse pretty much anywhere, but any over-active content may cause the page to fail to load completely. The web-browser is described as "experimental" and I believe that all requests go through an Amazon server, so if 3G-connected usage were abused, it would be easy for them to switch it off or filter it.