Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by treasonx View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/16/i...a-hello-linux/

According to the article it looks like intel is going to offer the umpc without vista and instead using linux. Some of the pictures in the gallery look alot like maemo.
Whilst others seem to be get directly from an iPhone...

The OS snapshots remind me of that Maemo knockoff we glimpsed at on that strange Chinese UMPC at CeBit. Could that have been a proto of sorts ?

Anyway, maybe these "tablets" run Linux, but they're still not instant on and twice as expensive as the Nokias...

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
The OS snapshots remind me of that Maemo knockoff we glimpsed at on that strange Chinese UMPC at CeBit. Could that have been a proto of sorts ?

Anyway, maybe these "tablets" run Linux, but they're still not instant on and twice as expensive as the Nokias...
It seems that the PDF is from a presentation. And i think at the presentation also was showed how something at maemo works.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Vastly more powerful than an N800, all built-in hardware supported rather than ignored, better sofrware (Mozilla! Possibly Flash 9?) Double the price? DEAL!

Even if twice the weight, and half the battery life ? :-)

it all boils down to value for money...

if you can use it 2 times more effectively, and you can afford the 2 times more price, then you can consider getting it!

to me, effectively using the device (not fighting it) is value to me. whatever the OS, hardware/software, if I am unable to capture that "effective use" value, then its not worth it to me.

the intel umpc video is incredible, i love it... ithink the n800 can do all in this video but need more software , for develop audio vocal recognition et big hard drive ... and hsdpa / phone capability.

i think if an N900 become with that , umpc style with good interface , it will kill the PC on our desktop (it's a good thing

The software is the most important things in tablet (internet , umpc and now mid) platform for customer...
'see the iphone software : EXCELENT

Last edited by testtuc; 2007-04-16 at 19:53.

This will accelerate the development of linux on handhelds. Additional corporate development is great for all n800/770 owners.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
What I do not understand:
On slide 5, they compare MID (Linux) to UMPC (Windows).
Under "Platform Openness", they say:

MID: Mixed
UMPC: Open

I would have guessed the opposite. What could this mean? Maybe they're planning a device that only runs pre-installed software and restricted applets, similiar to the iPhone?