Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Really? As someone else said, I think landscape mode in SFOS is a bit embarrassing (seems half finished), and I found it quite frustrating when using a fixed landscape keyboard (TOHKBD).

Want to connect to a new wifi network part-way through typing something? Just rotate your head 90 degrees!

Don't get me wrong, it's usable, but there's really no excuse for not implementing landscape mode throughout all of the settings and home screen. It's not like a ton of back-end code would have to change, just the qml.
I'm not sure, it's been a long time since I last used the TOHKBD (I switched to Jolla C, with some regrets but I needed Android 4.4.4), but maybe my memories are with some patches allowing full rotation of any Sailfish application and screen (did you try that?).

I don't remember the rotate-hassle, except with some Android applications, but again my memory may be a bit selective here. In any case, it didn't look like something that couldn't be improved, seeing the progress that was made in a short time between the pre-tohkbd and the post-tohkbd eras.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-08-02 at 14:12.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Damn, I did miss that actually. Thanks a lot. Is it working properly as EasyDebian was or are there still significant caveats?
I can't answer that. I tried it briefly on my Jolla tablet and it worked, but I didn't test it further.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by ejjoman View Post
You are referring to SFOS on Jolla 1 / smart phone, which has not all landscape features enabled by default (home screen rotation disabled, some apps don't rotate, etc.).

On the tablet, however, you can see, how well SFOS can work in landscape mode.
Yes you're right. That's interesting, but if landscape mode is possible on the phone why have they disabled it?

On the tablet, have they just fixed everything in landscape instead or does it have proper support for both landscape and portrait mode?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Chen, is the keyboard of the device going to be backlit?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Chen, is the keyboard of the device going to be backlit?
Yes definitely

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 409 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Yes you're right. That's interesting, but if landscape mode is possible on the phone why have they disabled it?

On the tablet, have they just fixed everything in landscape instead or does it have proper support for both landscape and portrait mode?
Only Jolla can answer this question why phones don't support it - I don't know, really...

On the Tablet, you have proper support for both orientations in all Jolla apps, including lock screen, home screen (running apps), events screen and app-launcher.
Tested Jolla apps: Messages, Contacts, Store, Gallery, Settings, Clock, Email, Weather, Calendar, Calc, Media, Documents and Notes

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ejjoman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
Damn this really looks awesome.
I really like the N950/Lauta style because the candybar-styled phone is transformable into a keyboard device but still looks like a normal touch-enabled smartphone without looking like a chunky keyboard device.

Are you considering to provide a german QWERTZ keyboard layout (with Ä, Ö, Ü, ß letters), or at least to sell an interchangeable QWERTZ keyboard map?
Yes. A QWERTZ version will be made.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Speaking of keyboards layouts, will there be a way to type diacritics with a QWERTY keyboard? This is probably only software thing as long as the hardware keyboard offers enough keys to setup two or three dead keys in the layout, so the question is not specifically for Chen, but I wonder if Sailfish allows that.

I'm using a QWERTY keyboard on my computers but have to type éèàêâùç daily in my language. On computers, it's not an issue as I just have to use us_international with dead keys as layout. I'm now used to it. However, my TOHKBD was an AZERTY one and therefore this was not necessary. Given that AZERTY may not happen for Chen's device (it won't for the Moto keyboard mod because of too few requests if I understood correctly), will we be able to use such software layouts and customize dead keys?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Yes. A QWERTZ version will be made.
How many different layouts do we have?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ejjoman View Post
On the Tablet, you have proper support for both orientations in all Jolla apps, including lock screen, home screen (running apps), events screen and app-launcher.
Tested Jolla apps: Messages, Contacts, Store, Gallery, Settings, Clock, Email, Weather, Calendar, Calc, Media, Documents and Notes
Can confirm this. Looks like applications that don't have landscape mode, like some games and the Warehouse client, are not made/packaged by Jolla.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen